2016 Civic 1.5L Turbo Surges at Highway Speeds (45–70 MPH) S.B. #16-028

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2014 Ram 1500, 2016 Harley Ultra Limited
wooooo! have not suffered the surging symptoms, but will bring the ride in for software updates as soon as i get a chance.
Why do you want to fix something that is not broken in your case?
Sponsored

DJSeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Regardless if you have the issue or not you should get it updated. Obviously they found a flaw in their software and fixed it.

ICanLiftACivicUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We'll see what my dealer says when I tell them I won't accept the vehicle until the code is verified/updated to include this update. Car supposedly rolled off the line in Alliston 2/14 to 2/18. Still somewhere in transit. The TSB makes no mention of a production cut-in for this update.
It probably isn't being updated on the line until this week, maybe a week or two ago max. They shouldn't have any problem doing it for you - the software updates tend to only be about half an hour or so of your time (if the dealer isn't busy). Since it is covered under warranty, you would just turn right back around anyway.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Just got off the phone with the dealership, they said they should get the software tonight since it's uploaded to them online, so I'm heading in early tomorrow morning to have it done.

klm57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord, 2015 Chevy Equinox
This is great news. I started the cvt surging thread. My car is better than when I first reported the problem but still does it sometimes more noticeable some days more than others. I will be calling the dealer tomorrow. Thanks everyone!

Kevin35623

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 honda accord
Taking a trip from central Ohio to Chicago on Saturday so hopefully can go in tomorrow and see if they have the software update available before I go on a road trip

Diversion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Glad Honda fixed this with a quick turn around. I'll probably wait for my first oil change and bring it up to have them flash the software.

JJT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EXL with navigation
Wouldn't the dealership notify everyone who bought the 1.5 turbo? If not, why not? When there is a recall everyone is notified so a software update should be the same. If I don't hear from them I will bring it up when I get the oil changed, and ask then why I was not called and notified.

whaaaaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L, Black w/ Ivory interior
Country flag
Wouldn't the dealership notify everyone who bought the 1.5 turbo? If not, why not? When there is a recall everyone is notified so a software update should be the same. If I don't hear from them I will bring it up when I get the oil changed, and ask then why I was not called and notified.
two probable reasons...

first, recalls are massively expensive. this issue is not at all dangerous, only a nuisance. there is no safety concern, so no legal requirement, and no risk of lawsuit. therefore, no recall.

second, speculative, while this issue does appear to be common, and could potentially affect everyone with the faulty software, it also seems likely that it is not affecting all cars in reality. the issue is due to bad learning values, which are possibly acquired through a specific set of driving circumstances, whatever they might be, over a certain span of several hundred miles. these circumstances and symptoms are reproducible, however not a guarantee to be encountered by everyone. i'm going to take a guess and say that the surging symptom is affecting 10% or less of all 2016 civics on the road, and that those who are experiencing it will understandably go out of their way to check and respond to internet forums while looking for answers, thus giving the illusion it's more prevalent.

either way, it's a non-urgent issue for honda. if the customer complains, it's now an easy quick fix. if the customer doesn't complain, it can be taken care of at the first scheduled maintenance.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Well, the dealer does not have the update yet. They said they will test it out on a car in the lot when it's available and then call me back to get it installed.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Update on the upcoming Civic Si--

Kent wrote on 2016, March 7 - 19:57

The Si is coming. But the issue is two-fold: 1. Development on the 2.0T specific to the Si was sidelined in favor of accelerated development of the 1.5T (a full 2 years ahead of its planned launch with the 2018 Accord and 2019 Civic mid model refresh, as quoted by lead engineers during LA Auto Show). 2. The Si's 2.0T is not simply a detuned version of the the CTR. Hardware is expected optimized for fuel efficiency over performance, from the valvetrain to the internals.

- See more at: http://www.torquenews.com/1574/why-...ariant-civic-coupe-march#sthash.1G8QmsS3.dpuf

Just as I suspected all along. The hold up is due to Obama's new draconian CAFE requirements (54.5 MPG by 2024) and first-ever CO2 restrictions.
what does that have to do with the software update?