Would you accept this wheel repair work ?

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
So I dropped off a wheel at the dealer last week to be repaired due to minor gouges and a very slight bend. It was covered under the wheel/tire insurance I bought when I purchased the car. The dealer said it was sent out to another shop for repair. This is what I saw when I arrived at the dealer today. It looks like those clowns didn't mask off the groove properly when painting the red. Not only is the red on the inner walls of the groove, some of it is actually on the outer face as well. Secondly, they didn't mask off the lug nut seating mounts and painted the whole area black. I imagine there's a reason they don't paint that part at the factory to avoid paint cracking whenever you tighten lugs, temperature changes, etc. Seems like wheel repair 101 to me. I'm a relative complete idiot when it comes to working on cars and even I can point out this mistake. I'm assuming it was just laziness on their part. Equally annoying was when the dealer received the wheel back from the other shop, that they didn't even catch this slop job (or looked the other way hoping I wouldn't notice) and called me in to just waste my time. I left it there for them to fix their mistake. I don't think I'm being unreasonable here.
The first 2 pics are from a "good" wheel. The last 3 pics are from the repaired wheel.

Honda Civic 10th gen Would you accept this wheel repair work ? 20220411_160849

Honda Civic 10th gen Would you accept this wheel repair work ? 20220411_160205

Honda Civic 10th gen Would you accept this wheel repair work ? 20220411_153534

Honda Civic 10th gen Would you accept this wheel repair work ? 20220411_160837

Honda Civic 10th gen Would you accept this wheel repair work ? 20220411_160159

JohnInATL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP FK8
Country flag
We have a guy onsite at the dealer I work at. I always recommend people drive around the parking lots of their dealer or dealers in their area and find the guy himself. The dealer charges around $250 a wheel and the guy gets $50 of it.

Taking my car directly to the person performing the work has always worked out well for me and is usually $50-$75 depending on the severity of the damage. I guess you might not have that option with your warranty, but just throwing it out there.

These wheel companies they send out to have a factory that pounds out as much work as possible per hour. That is why you're seeing poor worksmanship.

Mr. X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R #45600
Country flag
Yikes..

Groundcontrol

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM CTR
Country flag
That is horrible. I would tell them they need to replace it now that they have shown you that they can't properly repair it. I would be upset that they tried to pass subpar work off and think that you wouldn't notice.

BrandonB

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport Hatch
Country flag
Sloppy in my opinion, Shame on the rep for even passing that off as completed. Makes you wonder if they even straightened the wheel.

OP
OP

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yes, the gouges and bend are gone. The two main issues are the red striping paint and the fact that they painted the whole lug area black. I also hope that they strip off all the paint when they re-do this, instead of layering another coat of paint on - I imagine it's going to look like shit with 10 layers of paint on the wheel with dried drip marks. I overheard the initial phone conversation with the service guy and the insurance agent, could have sworn the repair reimbursement was $150 - that seems pretty low too.

BrandonB

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport Hatch
Country flag
Let’s hope they make it right with you

OP
OP

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Just got off the phone with the service advisor to inquire about the contractors and their reaction. Said they acknowledged their mistake and will re-do. Claimed their english was subpar and getting through to them can sometimes be a little difficult. Wtf lol.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I dropped off a wheel at the dealer last week to be repaired due to minor gouges and a very slight bend. It was covered under the wheel/tire insurance I bought when I purchased the car. The dealer said it was sent out to another shop for repair. This is what I saw when I arrived at the dealer today. It looks like those clowns didn't mask off the groove properly when painting the red. Not only is the red on the inner walls of the groove, some of it is actually on the outer face as well. Secondly, they didn't mask off the lug nut seating mounts and painted the whole area black. I imagine there's a reason they don't paint that part at the factory to avoid paint cracking whenever you tighten lugs, temperature changes, etc. Seems like wheel repair 101 to me. I'm a relative complete idiot when it comes to working on cars and even I can point out this mistake. I'm assuming it was just laziness on their part. Equally annoying was when the dealer received the wheel back from the other shop, that they didn't even catch this slop job (or looked the other way hoping I wouldn't notice) and called me in to just waste my time. I left it there for them to fix their mistake. I don't think I'm being unreasonable here.
The first 2 pics are from a "good" wheel. The last 3 pics are from the repaired wheel.

20220411_160849.jpg

20220411_160205.jpg

20220411_153534.jpg

20220411_160837.jpg

20220411_160159.jpg
Nope
I would take it back, or better yet, not accept it to begin with.

That red was applied like it was done by a toddler while throwing a tantrum and drinking coffee!

OP
OP

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
So they called me to let me know the wheel rework is ready. They claim it looks "better". Not a resounding and convincing vote of confidence I was looking for.

Does anyone know how they should properly paint the red around the rim? Are they supposed to painstakingly mask off both sides of the groove and carefully paint the area in between with a tiny brush? Or is there a more sophisticated way of painting the striping onto the wheel, say with like a tool that not every wheel shop may have?

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, the gouges and bend are gone. The two main issues are the red striping paint and the fact that they painted the whole lug area black. I also hope that they strip off all the paint when they re-do this, instead of layering another coat of paint on - I imagine it's going to look like shit with 10 layers of paint on the wheel with dried drip marks. I overheard the initial phone conversation with the service guy and the insurance agent, could have sworn the repair reimbursement was $150 - that seems pretty low too.
Probably easier to just replace the wheel lol

Reenie

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
We have a guy onsite at the dealer I work at. I always recommend people drive around the parking lots of their dealer or dealers in their area and find the guy himself. The dealer charges around $250 a wheel and the guy gets $50 of it.

Taking my car directly to the person performing the work has always worked out well for me and is usually $50-$75 depending on the severity of the damage. I guess you might not have that option with your warranty, but just throwing it out there.

These wheel companies they send out to have a factory that pounds out as much work as possible per hour. That is why you're seeing poor worksmanship.
Great information! Would you say all Honda dealerships have a guy who repairs wheels? Just my luck after getting new wheels and tires, I scuffed the chrome wheel on a curb. Damn it!!!!!
Sponsored