Who's still buying a 2020 Si sedan?

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I'm personally still going to buy the 2020 Si sedan, even though I'd rather have a Si hatch, and that seems likely to be available in 11th gen.
Because
- I can get $2100 off a 2020, vs close to MSRP in late 2021 if it's even out. I got only $500 off my Sport hatch in Oct. 2016 cause it was one of the first ones out.
- the 2020 got some nice updates, especially the wheels and LEDs, and there's no guarantee I'll like the 11th gen.
- My first model year Sport had some weird issues including condenser failure ($1000) so don't really want another 1st model year.
- I drive 25k miles/year so by late 2021 my Sport will have 130k miles.
Sponsored

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hard to argue with your logic. You can always sell the 2020 if, and when, you want an 11th gen.
I'm still hoping to get the 2020 Si coupe, but I'm waiting for a better time to buy. Need the $1000 Honda loyalty and\or 1.9 financing to bring my payments down a bit.
Good luck with your decision (and new car).

OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hard to argue with your logic. You can always sell the 2020 if, and when, you want an 11th gen.
I'm still hoping to get the 2020 Si coupe, but I'm waiting for a better time to buy. Need the $1000 Honda loyalty and\or 1.9 financing to bring my payments down a bit.
Good luck with your decision (and new car).
Thanks yeah it's crazy times with 46% of the country unemployed and talk of negative GDP growth for the entire year. It's depression-era numbers and dealers want MSRP, and people are paying it. Just be patient, something's gonna give soon. Hard to blame them for holding to MSRP when people are desperate enough to pay it.

letsgoMINAJE

First Name
Minaje
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
Thanks yeah it's crazy times with 46% of the country unemployed and talk of negative GDP growth for the entire year. It's depression-era numbers and dealers want MSRP, and people are paying it. Just be patient, something's gonna give soon. Hard to blame them for holding to MSRP when people are desperate enough to pay it.
This is actually contrary to what I've experienced in buying my 2020 si sedan and my girlfriend's new 2020 Subaru. My experience has been that they are practically giving cars away lol. After purchasing a 2020 Subaru Crosstrek for an outstanding price, the sales rep told me they are selling cars way below MSRP because people aren't buying cars right now. there is too much uncertainty when it comes to financials. People that were thinking about buying cars are either A) putting it on hold due to uncertainty with employment, financials, etc. or B) going to buy cars with the extra money they are receiving from unemployment. Mostly option A...This is resulting in dealerships being far more stocked than they would typically be. They need to get cars out to allow for the new models (2021) to come in, in the coming months. They are sacrificing some the present profit for the future profit. He also stated this is is the prime time to buy a car because of the deals given for the reasons stated above. Foot traffic is down, online car shopping is up. This is in California.

firesyde424

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
This is actually contrary to what I've experienced in buying my 2020 si sedan and my girlfriend's new 2020 Subaru. My experience has been that they are practically giving cars away lol. After purchasing a 2020 Subaru Crosstrek for an outstanding price, the sales rep told me they are selling cars way below MSRP because people aren't buying cars right now. there is too much uncertainty when it comes to financials. People that were thinking about buying cars are either A) putting it on hold due to uncertainty with employment, financials, etc. or B) going to buy cars with the extra money they are receiving from unemployment. Mostly option A...This is resulting in dealerships being far more stocked than they would typically be. They need to get cars out to allow for the new models (2021) to come in, in the coming months. They are sacrificing some the present profit for the future profit. He also stated this is is the prime time to buy a car because of the deals given for the reasons stated above. Foot traffic is down, online car shopping is up. This is in California.

This was my experience. I ended up trading my 2019 si coupe in for a 2020 si sedan. I still walked out with almost 100 less\month payment and would have walked out with far more if I'd been willing to deal with the 2019 on my own.

mjh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2020 Sedan; Previously VW Jetta SEL 2016 (auto); Civic EX Sedan 2009 (manual); Civic EX Coupe 2002 (manual)
Country flag
I'm personally still going to buy the 2020 Si sedan, even though I'd rather have a Si hatch, and that seems likely to be available in 11th gen.
Because
- I can get $2100 off a 2020, vs close to MSRP in late 2021 if it's even out. I got only $500 off my Sport hatch in Oct. 2016 cause it was one of the first ones out.
- the 2020 got some nice updates, especially the wheels and LEDs, and there's no guarantee I'll like the 11th gen.
- My first model year Sport had some weird issues including condenser failure ($1000) so don't really want another 1st model year.
- I drive 25k miles/year so by late 2021 my Sport will have 130k miles.
Is it indeed likely that the Si will have a hatch version in 2021? My impression from reading articles so far is that Honda has not indicated that directly. Although I may have missed something.

Now this may be wishful thinking on my part as a 2020 owner, but I'd think the fact that there will be only a single model year of the refreshed Civic Si could help its resale value in the future.

OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nobody knows yet - I think it makes sense to replace the coupe Si with more popular hatch body style. And I don't buy that any Type R buyer will go for the Si once it's available as a hatch. totally different cars.

More likely a sub $30k hatch buyer will go for a GTI, Elantra N etc if Honda doesn't offer the Si hatch.

ryox82

First Name
Ernesto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I still got the sedan, but I had to because of my RSX getting wrecked. With that said I leased it knowing that I was so close to the end of this gen. If nothing is new enough to warrant a new one at the end of the lease, at least the buy out is cheap.

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Platinum White Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
This is so true and I just don't get it! I bought my 2019 Si 2 months ago and I was expecting to get a crazy good deal cause of the pandemic, nope! They didn't even want to budge 500$. I told them I'll buy it on the spot for 500$ less and they said they can't do it. I left and waited about an hour and ended up coming back because I needed a car for work. I wwas then only able to knock off $300 but they were really going to not sell it to me for $500 off.

letsgoMINAJE

First Name
Minaje
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
This is so true and I just don't get it! I bought my 2019 Si 2 months ago and I was expecting to get a crazy good deal cause of the pandemic, nope! They didn't even want to budge 500$. I told them I'll buy it on the spot for 500$ less and they said they can't do it. I left and waited about an hour and ended up coming back because I needed a car for work. I wwas then only able to knock off $300 but they were really going to not sell it to me for $500 off.
well what did you get it for before taxes, fees, etc.?

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
This was my experience. I ended up trading my 2019 si coupe in for a 2020 si sedan. I still walked out with almost 100 less\month payment and would have walked out with far more if I'd been willing to deal with the 2019 on my own.
I was thinking about doing this since my dealer has 16 2020 si’s on their lot but I feel like they would try to screw me over.
Sponsored