• Total voters

Fazzster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord 2.0T Sport Manual, 2020 Odyssey EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll be waiting for the reviews and a test drive before deciding. I swore I'd never buy a 9th SI but ended up with one anyways.:dunno:
LOL! Me too!

Wizerud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mini Clubman S All4
After the initial underwhelming stats reveal last week it didn't take me too long to realize that I might still be very interested in this car. After all, what's the competition? I've considered a GTI in SE trim but I do a lot of miles and by the end of a 3 year lease I would not be entirely confident that the GTI wouldn't give me headaches. Some other vehicles I've considered: the BMW X1, Honda Accord Touring, Civic Hatchback, Mazda 3 and CX5. I could go on and on and I've had the capacity to get something new for a while as I extended my lease last August cause the new Si wasn't out yet. But ultimately the Si checks more boxes than the other vehicles and gets almost all the crucial ones right. We could all wish for more hp number but how is it actually gonna put that power down? If it's, say, at least 0.5s 0-60 faster than my 10th gen I probably would've taken that regardless of the actual hp/torque numbers. And if it's not, oh well. Even my current Si scoots quickly enough. Forget the numbers and just drive, then ask yourself if you like it.

Dependibility, great gas mileage, a nice stereo and resale value are boring things that are important to me. The fact the new Si should outclass my current car in virtually all areas sounds fantastic because I really like my Si. Really looking forward to hearing how the stereo is. I thought the 9th gen stereo sounded worse than the 8th gen by a quite a bit. Hopefully the headlights will be nicer this time as well! I'll consider a blue sedan, like in the press shot. I'll probably buy in about six months because I just re-fi'd the car and it's always good to keep a loan at least a few months.

WNCSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Si
Country flag
Count me in. I need a car that works for kids, can do a 40 mile round trip commute, will be reliable, and will be fun in the mountains and for autocross.

There are certainly other cars that can do that (ST twins, WRX, GTI) but for me, having the reliability of a Honda is important since I'll have this car for many years - long past when the warranty runs out. The toughest part was deciding WRX or this and given the gas mileage and how nice the features are shaping up to be, I'm going Si.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Why I'm considering buying one...

1. It's been over 20 years since I owned a car with a manual transmission and I've had the itch to shift lately.

2. Behind the competition in terms of power? Yes, but it is still more than powerful enough to exceed all safe and legal speeds on all public roadways. I've never been on a track and probably never will be - just being realistic here. I also have a clean driving record and prefer to keep it that way. :)

3. It's a Honda. Chances are it'll need fewer repairs and it'll hold its resale value better than other brands.

Maybe I'm having a mid-life crisis or I'm going through my second childhood. I could probably do just as well with a Civic EX-T manual coupe or Civic Sport manual hatchback and save several thousand dollars, but I'd like something a bit more exclusive and the Si seems to fit the shoe. I could also save a lot more and just buy something used, but I prefer to buy new since cars in this class, especially, experience a high rate of abuse and modification.

jd2157

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan MSM
Country flag
After the initial underwhelming stats reveal last week it didn't take me too long to realize that I might still be very interested in this car. After all, what's the competition? I've considered a GTI in SE trim but I do a lot of miles and by the end of a 3 year lease I would not be entirely confident that the GTI wouldn't give me headaches. Some other vehicles I've considered: the BMW X1, Honda Accord Touring, Civic Hatchback, Mazda 3 and CX5. I could go on and on and I've had the capacity to get something new for a while as I extended my lease last August cause the new Si wasn't out yet. But ultimately the Si checks more boxes than the other vehicles and gets almost all the crucial ones right. We could all wish for more hp number but how is it actually gonna put that power down? If it's, say, at least 0.5s 0-60 faster than my 10th gen I probably would've taken that regardless of the actual hp/torque numbers. And if it's not, oh well. Even my current Si scoots quickly enough. Forget the numbers and just drive, then ask yourself if you like it.

Dependability, great gas mileage, a nice stereo and resale value are boring things that are important to me. The fact the new Si should outclass my current car in virtually all areas sounds fantastic because I really like my Si. Really looking forward to hearing how the stereo is. I thought the 9th gen stereo sounded worse than the 8th gen by a quite a bit. Hopefully the headlights will be nicer this time as well! I'll consider a blue sedan, like in the press shot. I'll probably buy in about six months because I just re-fi'd the car and it's always good to keep a loan at least a few months.
Agree with all the boring things you say are important. Another thing I don't hear often mentioned are Honda interiors. They may not be the most luxurious, or use the nicest materials, or be the best at anything in particular but they do so many things so well that few others can compete. Use of space, logical layout, feel of moving parts, durability, comfort, etc... they aren't perfect but they're hard to beat.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was locked and loaded for the Type-R, but now that I've seen the Si, my practical side has won out.

For the type of driving I do, which includes an occasional roll down a dirt road, Auto Cross, commutes in the snow, and errands on beat up city streets where my current civic bottoms out, the Si makes more sense.

But it's about the smiles per mile, so I might get swayed the other way.

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe I'm having a mid-life crisis or I'm going through my second childhood.
Hey man, you're only as old as you feel. Don't ever trick yourself into thinking you have to stop enjoying the art of driving after you stop being a twenty-something.

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
I see that Energy Green is an option so that raises my interest quite a bit. That said while I plan to test drive and enjoy the Si. I still feel like I'll probably need a tune and Catback to properly enjoy it compared to the GTi and ST. I have a feeling that I'll be missing the extra grunt.

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT, 2015 Si (RIP)
I was locked and loaded for the Type-R, but now that I've seen the Si, my practical side has won out.

For the type of driving I do, which includes an occasional roll down a dirt road, Auto Cross, commutes in the snow, and errands on beat up city streets where my current civic bottoms out, the Si makes more sense.

But it's about the smiles per mile, so I might get swayed the other way.
Ah, is that why you crossed the border? :D Happy to have your inputs on this side. ;)

My practical side is telling me to keep my LX. Light weight, simple, N/A, pretty much bullet-proof. If considering the smiles per mile, getting back in an Si might be it for me. I am itching to test drive and to hear driving impressions from others.

thaseint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag
That said while I plan to test drive and enjoy the Si. I still feel like I'll probably need a tune and Catback to properly enjoy it compared to the GTi and ST. I have a feeling that I'll be missing the extra grunt.
Agreed. It's a shame that VW is doing away with the GTI Sport in 2018. That's the model that is perfectly aligned with what I want. The only thing stopping me is reliability, don't mind maintenance or things breaking here and there...just don't want a car that'll create a bunch of headaches.

I was completely on board with the CTR; but there are a couple things stopping me atm, dealer ADMs and was doing a lot of reading regarding the tire wear (people were lucky to get 6000 miles on their FK8 Continentals). I do a lot of driving on a daily basis and would hate to be spending money on 3 sets of tires per year.

I'm slowly warming up to the idea of the Si (changed my vote to "Maybe") except I don't like the fact that it's a sedan, really want a 4 door hatch hot hatch. I'm willing to test drive it but since the GTI won't be available in a Sport for 2018 my time might be limited. Decisions, decisions...

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
Agreed. It's a shame that VW is doing away with the GTI Sport in 2018. That's the model that is perfectly aligned with what I want. The only thing stopping me is reliability, don't mind maintenance or things breaking here and there...just don't want a car that'll create a bunch of headaches.

I was completely on board with the CTR; but there are a couple things stopping me atm, dealer ADMs and was doing a lot of reading regarding the tire wear (people were lucky to get 6000 miles on their FK8 Continentals). I do a lot of driving on a daily basis and would hate to be spending money on 3 sets of tires per year.

I'm slowly warming up to the idea of the Si (changed my vote to "Maybe") except I don't like the fact that it's a sedan, really want a 4 door hatch hot hatch. I'm willing to test drive it but since the GTI won't be available in a Sport for 2018 my time might be limited. Decisions, decisions...
Everything about the GTI Sport is becoming standard on the base GTI, or an option.

thaseint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag
Everything about the GTI Sport is becoming standard on the base GTI, or an option.
I know the power is the same across the board; but I thought in order to get the LSD, Golf R brakes and LEDs you had to step up to the SE? Don't want a sunroof...another problem point on the Si for me.
Sponsored

Last edited: