Buying an Si?

• Total voters

DrwMDvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic
Country flag
I'm pretty much sold. Here's why: I've been driving a modded '00 civic ex for 10 years with just about everything touched in one form or another. It's bumpy, it has two doors, it's slow, low, and with constant maintenance, it's time to move into something more comfortable not for my sanity, but the sanity of everyone else as a passenger. I don't plan to sell my current car, but who knows. Ideally I would strip the interior and make a dedicated track toy. Everything is basically done for entry-level events (autox, track days, etc.)

The Si has enough of an upgrade over what I currently have been driving to keep me entertaining. I'm very excited for LSD, adaptive steering and suspension, heated seats, large 7" touch screen with 10 speakers and 452 watts, and the upgraded interior/exterior. I don't plan to get rid of this car any time soon, hoping for another 10 years. It'll provide many additions and comforts I've never had, while offering a modest performance bump that I really won't take full advantage of, but is important to me.

Don't care why you don't like it, I've read enough of the negativity already. Post up WHY you want it.
Sponsored

AP2SLOW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si (Daily). 2006 NFR S2000 (Weekend Racer). 1992 Integra (SOLD). 2005 RSX Type-S (SOLD). 2002 Civic (SOLD)
I'm pretty much sold. Here's why: I've been driving a modded '00 civic ex for 10 years with just about everything touched in one form or another. It's bumpy, it has two doors, it's slow, low, and with constant maintenance, it's time to move into something more comfortable not for my sanity, but the sanity of everyone else as a passenger. I don't plan to sell my current car, but who knows. Ideally I would strip the interior and make a dedicated track toy. Everything is basically done for entry-level events (autox, track days, etc.)

The Si has enough of an upgrade over what I currently have been driving to keep me entertaining. I'm very excited for LSD, adaptive steering and suspension, heated seats, large 7" touch screen with 10 speakers and 452 watts, and the upgraded interior/exterior. I don't plan to get rid of this car any time soon, hoping for another 10 years. It'll provide many additions and comforts I've never had, while offering a modest performance bump that I really won't take full advantage of, but is important to me.

Don't care why you don't like it, I've read enough of the negativity already. Post up WHY you want it.
My wife and I are each getting one. I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I've been daily-ing a '92 Integra for the last 4.5 years. It's super clean and has a B16a swap, GSR Trans, all kinds of stuff done to it. But I'm just ready to daily something nice a new. The new Si is going to make an awesome daily.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I found out the Si would not come in a hatch and also have the same-ish 1.5L engine it fell off my radar. The only thing that I wish I had that the Si does is the OEM LSD. I'm sure a lot of people will be happy with it though.

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
When I found out the Si would not come in a hatch and also have the same-ish 1.5L engine it fell off my radar. The only thing that I wish I had that the Si does is the OEM LSD. I'm sure a lot of people will be happy with it though.
No probably wont buy one. After the dismal unveilings and the final figures for output, I'm between a sport hatch or a 9th Si (2014-2015) model with low kms. That's If I choose to go with a Honda product.

So much more bang for the buck out there than the 10th gen will offer.

TheRealWizzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe / 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Country flag
Im sold on it, getting a coupe in blue. Honda has never been about horsepower or tourqe figures, its about the driving experience and having a fun daily, if you want a race car get the type R. Ill be keeping my 2004 grand prix as a winter car and to take to drive to school. (Dont trust the parking lot with a nice car.) I have been looking at the civic si since I got my lisence, started looking at 8th gens but never found one clean enough, that wasn't overpriced. Once I saw the 10th gen spy shots I just gave up and decided to wait it out and im glad I did.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Will be getting the sedan because of utility, but only if those enormous vents look OK in person (on black, or maybe on white)

If I can't get over that, then will probably go for the couple -- less room (trunk specifically) and obviously access to rear seats, but DAMN that thing looks SO much better than the sedan -- at least on screen...

(Or maybe the new AWD Mazdaspeed will pop out of nowhere in a couple months... :D:rolleyes:)

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
If it came in a hatch, and if I didn't have the Sport already, I'd buy one. Would certainly not trade up for one, even if they had a hatch.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
BTW polls like this shouldn't have a 'No' option, because obviously there will always be a lot more people NOT buying some car (any car) than those buying it. :)

Last edited:

Aero2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Country flag
If I decide to replace my 2010 TSX in the next two years, an Si sedan would be extremely likely. The coupe looks much better, but last time I had a coupe I vowed I'd never do it again, and if I wanted one I'd consider going RWD with an 86/BRZ.

Obviously, I'd have to drive the Si first, but on paper it solves many of my issues with my TSX. Smaller and lighter? Check. Better power/weight ratio? Definitely. More midrange torque, so I won't miss my old Saab 9-5 Aero when I need to bust a move on the highway? Yup. As a bonus, it should get better mileage, and of course it's still a Honda.

I have a few concerns though. First is steering feel, which is generally awful in the age of electric assist, but can certainly be better than my TSX (see Focus ST). Honda isn't great for this, but hopefully they've focused on it for the Si (and Type-R). Next is ride quality, because I live in the city and can't have something overly stiff. The adaptive dampers are promising here. Finally, I hope the road noise is reasonable, but the Civic's light weight indicates this might be a problem. (The Focus ST is amazing in this respect, at least for the segment. I believe it's quieter on the highway than my TSX. It's heavy though.)

But by the time I'm ready to ditch the TSX, we'll probably have the next generations of the WRX and Focus ST. I'll consider those, but would prefer to stick with Honda.

pie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 R32 GTR, 2010 WRX STi, 2002 EP3 SiR
Will be getting the sedan because of utility, but only if those enormous vents look OK in person (on black, or maybe on white)

If I can't get over that, then will probably go for the couple -- less room (trunk specifically) and obviously access to rear seats, but DAMN that thing looks SO much better than the sedan -- at least on screen...

(Or maybe the new AWD Mazdaspeed will pop out of nowhere in a couple months... :D:rolleyes:)
The vents don't look as nightmarish in person. Weird yes, but not hideous. I'm guessing no bumper swaps with that centre exhaust, but I think at some point the aftermarket will be able to provide an alternative to the honeycomb inserts.

As it stands the Si isn't an option for me, but I can definitely appreciate the work Honda has done to spice things up over base civics. For those of you buying it, enjoy the ride - it'll be a nimble, reliable and sensible car.

kseriesparts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Integra Type-R, 02 RSX Type-S, 2016 Honda Accord v6, 2000 Integra GSR
Country flag
I really cannot see them keeping the si away from the hatch model. I bet they will come out with a hatch version next year.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
last time I had a coupe I vowed I'd never do it again
What were your reasons? I had several coupes in the past and it never bothered me -- the main reason I had to replace the '02 RSX Type S Coupe with the '04 TSX sedan (my current) because we got kids and getting baby car seats in and out of the back of a coupe was not exactly my idea of fun. :)

jd2157

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan MSM
Country flag
Leaning towards yes after seeing the features we're getting in Canada... I'll drive one and a hatch Sport Touring to see which one grabs me.

Why I might buy (an Si sedan - need 4 doors):
- best fun daily driver i can think of without breaking the bank or dealing with likely reliability issues
- suspension and chassis upgrades
- LED headlights
- sport seats
- short shift manual
- 452 watt stereo... been missing the stereo in the 99 Prelude I had after getting a 07 Lx sedan

Why I might not buy:
- if an Si hatchback lands in the next MY or two I'll snap, worse than I did when I found out there'd be no Si hatch
- not as practical as the hatch
- the sedan rear bumper
- the sedan wing
- no sensing, mostly interested in adaptive cruise
- overall disappointing sedan styling when compared to the coupe or hatch

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
No. Because everything else at 25k is faster and my 13 year old car when stock has 128 more hp than this.
Sponsored