which is better fuel for starter dual eco/21?

tgx78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX Manual
Country flag
I don't have a flex-fuel.

Where I live I have a choice of between 94 Oct. without ethanol vs 91 with upto 10% ethanol.

Currently temp hovering around 75 - 85f my area and K.control shows .49-.52 with 94 and .49-.59 with 91 with ethanol.

Stick with 94 Octane?
Sponsored

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
Assuming all other variables are the same, if your knock control stayed lower with the 0% ethanol 94, it would seem that is your best option.

10civics

First Name
bo peep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
How do you get a kc value of. 59+. I'd like to know the tps and gear selection required to get these values.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
Knock control will go up if you use lower quality fuel or have environmental factors that call for it to do so.
That's partially true.

I mentioned recently, that I've experiencing hight k.control - up to 1.1 while driving on freeway.
I'm using dual map eco/21.
Couple days back I adjusted my quick settings and flashed one more time. Surprisingly, K.control dropped from 1.1 till 0.7. If i drive without pulls - 0.56-0.6.
Which is completely Ok.

PS. the same gas, the same driving style, temperature etc. Nothing changed except quick adjustment settings.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
lots of things can raise the knock control. for say vibration, bad bearings , bent rod , bad motor mounts or loose exhaust are some of the things

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
That's partially true.

I mentioned recently, that I've experiencing hight k.control - up to 1.1 while driving on freeway.
I'm using dual map eco/21.
Couple days back I adjusted my quick settings and flashed one more time. Surprisingly, K.control dropped from 1.1 till 0.7. If i drive without pulls - 0.56-0.6.
Which is completely Ok.

PS. the same gas, the same driving style, temperature etc. Nothing changed except quick adjustment settings.
It's fully true. What you're not realizing is that quick adjustments affect how boost comes in and when, so the same driving style is not actually the same end result and thusly not the same section of the tune being traced. That's the whole point of the quick adjustments, to change the drivability.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
It's fully true. What you're not realizing is that quick adjustments affect how boost comes in and when, so the same driving style is not actually the same end result and thusly not the same section of the tune being traced. That's the whole point of the quick adjustments, to change the drivability.
That's interesting comment.
I spend within flash around month. Doing a lot of observations. It's not skyrocket science to realize what's going.
I'm just curious. If you know that adjustment settings have so much influence on k.control indicator, why you not pointing on that ? Only Gas quality is mentioning across the forum.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
I spend within flash around month. Doing a lot of observations. It's not skyrocket science to realize what's going.
I'm just curious. If you know that adjustment settings have so much influence on k.control indicator, why you not pointing on that ? Only Gas quality is mentioning across the forum.
They don't. You're outlining it like it's the quick adjustment that caused it and that's not true. If you were to give it more gas so you hit the same throttle opening, boost levels, and ignition points of the tune the results for knock control would be the same given the same fuel and environmental factors. However, you stated you drove the same style with two different settings which means you were not at the same throttle, boost levels, ignition, fueling, etc, in both scenarios.

Hijinx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Fiesta ST, 2016 Civic LX
Country flag
On one set of quick adjustments, you might go 60% throttle at 3krpm in 3rd gear and you’ll see X amount of load, boost, etc... But on a different set of quick adjustments, you’ll go 60% throttle at 3krpm in 3rd gear and get different data. Take a look at your datalogs around the areas when K.cont starts rising and compare them to the other good ones. If you’re not looking at the logs, you don’t really know what’s going on.

I’m assuming that the quick adjustments you used which gave you high K.cont were more aggressive. If your fuel is low quality, it makes sense that you’re experiencing more knock. Higher loads require higher octane to reduce knock...go back to your previous settings and try a gallon of E85 (in a mostly full tank) if available.

Last edited: