First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry in advance for long post, probably unnecessary but hey maybe it'll start a discussion with others looking for the same reasons!

So I know for a fact I had more than one post with this info bookmarked quite some time ago, when I did all my research on tuning, but when the site was updated we all lost our bookmarks :(

Now I finally pulled the trigger, but most of my research was done so long ago I don't remember the nitty gritty and can't really spend more time on this. I've done a few hours of reading over the past few days and I sort of found what I'm looking for but not quite, so here's a bit of background.

I just "upgraded" from the starter 18 to the dual 21 a few days ago. I liked the 18 for everyday driveability and punchyness without having to shift to sport, but 21 is too much for normal driving. However, 21 is definitely more noticeable on pulls so I want to rock the dual 21 to keep the powah. And the 16 is meh. Better than stock, but meh compared to the 18 and 21 lol.

So now on the dual 21 the ECO button is stock tune right? After the 18 and 21 tunes, there is no way I can run with this one as the lower level of my dual setup. I've been sitting in S all the time on the ECO mode as D just takes way too long to respond. And even in S, after being on the 18 map, it's still lacking something.

Also I'm not sure how OTF map switching works with cruise control, but I drive 78 miles each way for work so I need my cruise control to work as normal.

BUT this leads me to my question...

Can I run the dual tune with 21psi as the non-ECO tune and then put the starter 18 tune into the other slot so that is what runs on ECO? I really liked the feel of the 18 and would drive on it every day for sure. Stock ain't gonna cut it haha!
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
OTF switching is as easy as turning the Cruise control on and off. I can't see a situation where you'd need both simultaneously.

I think if I'm reading your post correctly, the best thing for you to do is set up the 21 PSI starter map, and then just use the 3 OTF maps to set 15/18/21 PSI as your boost targets. Then it's up to you whether or not you want to change things like boost ramps etc. between maps or leave them all the same for every map and change ONLY the boost target.

I think if you start using the ECO button you're going into run into the shitty throttle response that comes with it. OTF is better.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Hobby-man is right. Yes, out of the box the dual 21 uses factory boost levels when you press the Econ button. But you still will get the other Econ annoyances like slower throttle response and reduced A/C output.

OTF is your best bet and if you want to keep it simple just set up Tune 1 and Tune 2. There's a Tune 3 but you don't need to touch it if you don't want. Just set Tune 1 boost level to 21 psi and Tune 2 to 18 psi (or vice-versa). Instead of the Econ button to switch, you'll use the cc buttons.

Here's a quick overview of using otf map switching:

http://www.ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/on_the_fly_map_switching.htm

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Hobby-man is right. Yes, out of the box the dual 21 uses factory boost levels when you press the Econ button. But you still will get the other Econ annoyances like slower throttle response and reduced A/C output.

OTF is your best bet and if you want to keep it simple just set up Tune 1 and Tune 2. There's a Tune 3 but you don't need to touch it if you don't want. Just set Tune 1 boost level to 21 psi and Tune 2 to 18 psi (or vice-versa). Instead of the Econ button to switch, you'll use the cc buttons.

Here's a quick overview of using otf map switching:

http://www.ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/on_the_fly_map_switching.htm
The only reason I recommended using 15 PSI (stock) on Map 1 was for the "valet mode" where it will default to if you unplug your KTuner. Just in case anyone else ever gets behind the wheel.

OP
OP
disgraced.fk8

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you @hobby-man and @gtman! Sounds like I was barking up the wrong tree.

How instant is this? I do really like that just running it in ECO it's a quick dump to S and press the ECO and it's done. No selecting in a menu or anything like that.

From the link on Ktuner's site, it seems that it takes a few seconds to open menu, then you have to select the tune, then hold down for a few seconds to switch it. I'm hopefully going to set it up today if I have the time so I can see, but I'm just wondering!

OP
OP
disgraced.fk8

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The only reason I recommended using 15 PSI (stock) on Map 1 was for the "valet mode" where it will default to if you unplug your KTuner. Just in case anyone else ever gets behind the wheel.
Lol yeah.... the 21psi map is pretty jumpy so I agree there haha

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Thank you @hobby-man and @gtman! Sounds like I was barking up the wrong tree.

How instant is this? I do really like that just running it in ECO it's a quick dump to S and press the ECO and it's done. No selecting in a menu or anything like that.

From the link on Ktuner's site, it seems that it takes a few seconds to open menu, then you have to select the tune, then hold down for a few seconds to switch it. I'm hopefully going to set it up today if I have the time so I can see, but I'm just wondering!
That's about right yes. Turn off CC, press and hold CANCEL for ~3 sec, select your map, press and hold CANCEL for ~3 sec. It's not quite as fast as hitting ECO button but the results are much better.

Something else you can do is set up Starter 21 PSI. Then under the boost maps, select 15/18/21 PSI (normal) and 15/15/18 PSI (ECO). You kind of get best of both worlds there with OTF and ECO that way. But I still recommend OTF whenever possible.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It takes a few seconds from beginning to end while you're driving once you get used to how to do it. No menus. The tach will move from 1 to 2 to 3(000) to show which tune and you press one button to lock it in after.

It's a little slower when parked but JR smartly sped up the process while driving. You have to hold cancel for less than 2 seconds on the move. I do this all the time when I find a challenger on the highway (or they find me). :cool:

OP
OP
disgraced.fk8

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Absolutely fantastic advice from both of you guys, thank you so much. Didn't get a chance to play with anything last night, hopefully I can tonight!

And @gtman that's really the only reason I want it lol. I'll be honest about it. But that's why I also want the other slot to be snappy, so I can still feel safe making highway maneuvers. It seems like Ktuner has made it incredibly easy to have your cake and eat it too here. Glad I went with this instead of the other option!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think I have the perfect analogy for the KTuner OTF map setup (at least in my case).

I mostly commute back and forth to work. About a 60/40 mix highway/city. A 10 mile trip. And most of the time I drive in mild-mannered Clark Kent mode. Keeping pace with traffic, trying to get decent mpgs and using my 16.5 psi map...

There are two driving scenarios though that in particular put a smile on my face when commuting:

1. I drive in the Baltimore area and drivers are aggressive and it's congested. When I see that perfect opening in city traffic to make my move. I switch maps quickly and do my thing. Love the neck snapping fun.

2. And this is my favorite. It's all about humiliation. :cool: So there I am on the highway when some jerk in a "fast car" is tailgating me or driving in a way that I know he thinks his car is faster than mine. And that's when I sometimes switch to the 23.5 psi map 3. I do my thing and there is nothing better than knowing the other driver is shaking their head in disbelief that a Civic schooled them.

Oh yeah, the analogy...
It's like the OTF switching let's you go from Clark Kent to a caped Superman at the press of a button or two. :thumbsup: