What grade of gas do you put in your SI?

What fuel do you use?

• Regular

Votes: 26 7.4%
  • Midgrade

Votes: 12 3.4%
  • Premium

Votes: 315 89.2%

• Total voters

philharmonik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
Country flag
Just filled up with 93 last night. Was running 87 before that. I'm already noticing a slight increase in MPG's on my commute to work. Was averaging around 32mpg and this morning the trip meter had me at 34. This is my first Si and I want it to perform at its best, so I will go off what the manufacturer recommends.

Lcifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Page 113 of the manual clearly states: *clears throat* Models with Sport Mode - Use of unleaded gasoline of 91 octane or higher is RECOMMENDED.

Nowhere on the page is the word REQUIRED. I'm not sure why this simple yet important fact is being lost.
Yeah ur right recommended......using anything less still has more potential to damage or cause lower mpg etc you feel free to run cheap gas and wear ur seals gaskets and other variable parts those of us who are actually maintaining the car as recommended or better will enjoy our lack of repair bills etc

Unibrow Tail Lights

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Just filled up with 93 last night. Was running 87 before that. I'm already noticing a slight increase in MPG's on my commute to work. Was averaging around 32mpg and this morning the trip meter had me at 34. This is my first Si and I want it to perform at its best, so I will go off what the manufacturer recommends.
Smiles per gallon buddy... smiles per gallon

Lcifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I know, right? Honda themselves said 87 is the minimum, but some people just don't get it :rolleyes:
Nothing personal but look at it in a different light you gonna buy that $5 doorknob for your front door or put that $100 security doorknob on your front door? Same basically principal which gives you better piece of mind knowing for sure your door isnt gonna get broken into or has a chance? I personally prefer to eliminate as much chance as possible when it comes to a $20k purchase and or my home

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
Nothing personal but look at it in a different light you gonna buy that $5 doorknob for your front door or put that $100 security doorknob on your front door? Same basically principal which gives you better piece of mind knowing for sure your door isnt gonna get broken into or has a chance? I personally prefer to eliminate as much chance as possible when it comes to a $20k purchase and or my home
It’s hard for @coopermidnight to look at it any other way, self absorbed. I’m not attacking either. This person has been spewing bs on almost all my post since day one. I’ve done nothing but help people here, I know quite a bit about this new platform, I would not spew shit I don’t know. I know the fuel indication does not state in lettering that it’s Required. However, the Si trim has always been meant for premium fuel, it’s recommended by Honda. Open the fuel door and it even says there in lettering, premium fuel recommended. To me that pretty much says you should run it. Makes the car run better, it’s better to run higher octane fuel in direct injection motors. You get better performance and miles per gallon. If you through a tune in there, you’ll make more power with premium rather then regular. It’s cleaner to run, there are lots of pros actually. I’m not going to feed into it anymore lol.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I find that if you want to guarantee to have a insanely long thread full of heated discussion and borderline insulting, start talking about preferred octane or preferred oil or preferred oil change intervals. I have had 8 Honda's and have gone by the maintenance schedule on all of them. They have all taken care of me, and I don't expect anything different from this Si.

For vehicles with sport mode, Honda recommends 91 or 93. Should it even be a debate? Just listen to what the manufacturer says. It need not be more complicated than that.

And furthermore, what was the average MPG of your last vehicle? I can honestly say that this Si gets better mileage than 99% of the other non-hybrid cars out there, and it is amazingly fun to drive. So think about that the next time you want to save $5.00 on a tank of gas ($0.50/gal difference between 87 and 93 around here)

Last edited:

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@17siturb0
Look dude, I'm not disagreeing that you should run anything less than 91. I only fill up on Shell 93, and I don't intend to ever change that.

I'm just worried that some uninformed person is going to come into the topic and take something you (or the rest of your circle jerk) is saying as truth when it's not. 91 is not required. You seem to understand this to some degree, but you're still disagreeing just for the sake of it to play the victim, acting as if I'm attacking you. "Should" and "must" are two totally different concepts. Do I have to post the image again for you?

I'm not advocating that anyone run 87. I'm just saying that it's factually incorrect to say that 91 is required. If that's self-absorption to you, I don't know what to tell you. (Pointing this out for the sake of other readers is actually the opposite of self-absorption) Did you ever notice that whenever I'm "spewing bs" on your posts, it's cause you're acting smug and saying something dumb or flat-out wrong?

Last edited:

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@17siturb0
Look dude, I'm not disagreeing that you should run anything less than 91. I only fill up on Shell 93, and I don't intend to ever change that.

I'm just worried that some uninformed person is going to come into the topic and take something you (or the rest of your circle jerk) is saying as truth when it's not. 91 is not required. You seem to understand this to some degree, but you're still disagreeing just for the sake of it to play the victim, acting as if I'm attacking you. "Should" and "must" are two totally different concepts. Do I have to post the image again for you?

I'm not advocating that anyone run 87. I'm just saying that it's factually incorrect to say that 91 is required. If that's self-absorption to you, I don't know what to tell you. (Pointing this out for the sake of other readers is actually the opposite of self-absorption) Did you ever notice that whenever I'm "spewing bs" on your posts, it's cause you're acting smug and saying something dumb or flat-out wrong?
Well first of all your whole argument with me is completely pointless, second of all, where the hell did I state that 91 was required for the 10th generation civic Si? I never did, so you are starting a argument over nothing. You have no idea what you are even talking about. Read my statements word for word and maybe you would have your facts straight. And yes you are attacking me, you can choose not to reply to my posts. I’m going to ask you to stop fighting with me. Stop spreading that I’m misinforming people, because I’m not. I have contributed a lot of useful information to the forums for everyone. This is your last warning, -Per moderator.

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Someone on this forum said:
where the hell did I state that 91 was required for the 10th generation civic Si? I never did, so you are starting a argument over nothing. You have no idea what you are even talking about. Read my statements word for word and maybe you would have your facts straight.
The same person in this very topic said:
1. every generation of the Si trim has required 91 or higher premium fuel.

2. The Si trims have always required 91 premium.
:rolleyes:

Don't worry, I'm done in this thread. I just thought that part in particular was too funny. This thread was finished on page 1, but alas...

In case any reader has made it to this page, here's the definitive answer to the OP again just in case:
Honda Civic 10th gen What grade of gas do you put in your SI? upload_2017-11-4_17-32-39-

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
:rolleyes:

Don't worry, I'm done in this thread. I just thought that part in particular was too funny. This thread was finished on page 1, but alas...

In case any reader has made it to this page, here's the definitive answer to the OP again just in case:
upload_2017-11-4_17-32-39-png.png
Quote the whole statement next time, of course you are done, you got told, proved wrong and now you are going to run away. Peace :wave:

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For vehicles with sport mode, Honda recommends 91 or 93. Should it even be a debate? Just listen to what the manufacturer says. It need not be more complicated than that.
This is exactly what I was saying. It doesn’t need to be more complicated but some other members disagree with that statement. Hence turning this thread into a shit show, people can’t keep their mouths shut.
Sponsored