What grade of gas do you put in your SI?

What fuel do you use?

• Regular

Votes: 26 7.4%
  • Midgrade

Votes: 12 3.4%
  • Premium

Votes: 315 89.2%

• Total voters

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
Doesn’t matter. The first picture from the manual states 91 or higher for models with sport button. So at this point it doesn’t matter what you say. So keep it going.:coffee: You’ll just end up locking the thread with your babbling.
Page 113 of the manual clearly states: *clears throat* Models with Sport Mode - Use of unleaded gasoline of 91 octane or higher is RECOMMENDED.

Nowhere on the page is the word REQUIRED. I'm not sure why this simple yet important fact is being lost.
Sponsored

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
Page 113 of the manual clearly states: *clears throat* Models with Sport Mode - Use of unleaded gasoline of 91 octane or higher is RECOMMENDED.

Nowhere on the page is the word REQUIRED. I'm not sure why this simple yet important fact is being lost.
Exactly, I would follow Honda’s recommendation. Y’all getting so mad. Just use 91 or higher, the cars meant for it.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
Exactly, I would follow Honda’s recommendation. Y’all getting so mad. Just use 91 or higher, the cars meant for it.
No one is getting angry but you. The debate is that premium fuel is RECOMMENDED and not REQUIRED. The fact that you (and most of us, based on the poll) puts premium in our cars doesn't diminish the fact that it's not required. The only way to tell for sure is to have two identical Civic Si driven in an identical manner for an identical amount of time (50,000 miles? 75,000 miles?) with one that has 87 and the other has 91 and see if there's any difference in performance, average gas mileage, engine build-up, parts damage, etc., etc. Since that's impossible to do we we will most likely debate this until the bovines return to their domicile.

Point being, it's recommended and not required. Run what you want, but premium ain't necessary in the eyes of Honda.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Won't help the discussion but we have 66,314+ miles - 199 fill-ups 197 regular, 1 unknown (dealer delivery fill) - 33.02 mpg and no issues. We're probably missing 4-5 "horses" when hammering it, but no "ping", etc.
After purchasing almost 2000 gallons of 87, with an estimated savings of 40 cent per gallon, we're happy with both the performance and savings.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
If you get an SI and you dare to think in putting regular gas on it.
I think most owners will avoid anything but premium as evident in the poll.

That said, the last three pages have been about keeping things factual. We have some claiming the universe would implode if anyone ran 87 lol. The problem is that these folks are grounded in "old logic" when Honda's ECU parameters were much more rigid. It also didn't help that we had inconsistent fuel quality/detergent standards, up until 5-6 years ago.

So unless your station's premium has an entirely different additive pack over regular (many don't), there's going to be very little impact to engine life aside from the mild loss in hp/mpgs. At least, according to the data available up until now.

Last edited:

Lcifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
When i purchased my SI i was told that the vehicle was able to run on regular OR premium. Now i know a thing or two about cars and it seemed a little off hearing this...But id like to hear from you guys. What fuel do you put in your SI's?
93 all day everyday says somewhere on the fill point premium only as well not to mention should never run anything lower then 91 in anything with a turbo anyway to avoid knock

Lcifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I guess we're not done with today's lesson lol. From the fuel door:
20171105_171818.jpg

Right around 5m50s he explains it's for ya and he has degrees in this stuff so I mean yeah 87 will work but has the potential to be harmful

Lcifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Been doing this for years man nothing new to me I know what experts say and random ppl say I go with experts who all pretty much say basically the same thing anything that could go wrong can go wrong always best to take that little extra time and money to save money in the long run

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag

Right around 5m50s he explains it's for ya and he has degrees in this stuff so I mean yeah 87 will work but has the potential to be harmful
I don't disagree. But we are not seeing an increase in knock frequency between grades like we did with previous generations. This is a much different ECU logic due to Honda's increased focus on homogenous powertrains. The claims being brought by others have not been replicated in testing or datalogs on the stock tune, based on the available data to date.

Again, this is about keeping things factual. I and just about everyone else here runs 91+.

dredsen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe , 2017 CRV Ex
Country flag
First tank , half full of dealer gas , didn't let them wash and fill.

Then I set out for 93, found one gas station miles away. I was VERY happy to see it's a VP racing station and they sell 87 (which they claim is a blend) 93 and 109 (8.99/gal for that)

I put in 2 gal of the 109 and the rest the 93. Not sure if this is a good practice but back when I was in a enduring race team we always gave the bike Several healthy gurgles of Vp 109 and then filled it with 93.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
If a dealer sold me a Si and they filled it with 87, I would make them drain the tank to nearly empty so I could fill it with premium. Sadly I’ve heard so many dealers doing that to the Si’s they get.
Sponsored