martyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boring Accord family hauler
Win for Civic: stance, wheels, spoiler, shark antenna, overall looks/cool factor
Win for Focus: color, rear visibility, and hp/rwd if you want to count those
Win for Civic = Honda badge and not Ford badge :D
Sponsored

s2ker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000
Win for Civic = Honda badge and not Ford badge :D
Historically true but Ford designs and quality have really gotten alot better in the last few years. Just look athe gorgeous GT! Honda doesn't even have anything that hot (new NSX is kinda boring).

Guzmannn

Threads
Reaction score
Digging around for the new Focus RS time but don't think they've officially published it yet. I was able to find an article that said it's "15 seconds quicker compared to the MkVI Golf R".

The 2009 Focus RS did it in 8:26 - http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html. So 15 seconds off that would mean 8:11 laptime, still 21 seconds slower than the Type-R!
15 seconds faster than Golf R and 21 seconds faster than Focus RS. THAT is owning the field.

To put the 7:50 time into more perspective against non-direct competitors. It's faster than these cars even!

BMW M4 - 7:52
Porsche Cayman S - 7:55.0
C63 AMG 507 package - 8:01
Alfa 4C - 8:04

Viet_Racer

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic EM1
Country flag
Really curious to see what that comparison will be like against the next Focus RS. It's sure to close the gap but how much? Judging by statements from Honda it also sounds like they are not even close to tapping its potential so it could get REALLY interesting if they up the ante.

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
If we get a Type-R with similar specs to the Euro-model, power and price will put it up against Focus RS, Golf R and WRX STi. Obviously, without AWD, the Civic won't be as quick 0-60, but judging by 'Ring lap times, it will handle better.

However, there have been rumors of a de-tuned version of the Type-R for the states, which may make the comparison closer to the Focus ST and GTI, but personally I think that would be too close to the Si territory at that point.

nade shot

Threads
Reaction score
Let's be honest, a de-tuned Type R would be absolutely weaksauce after Ford decides to not only bring the Focus RS to the states but a version that is better in every way. I haven't read those rumors but I sure hope there is no substance behind them.

Realdealryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord, TSX
I wouldn't be surprised if the next-gen R has SH-AWD. The three direct competitors have awd (STi, Focus RS, Golf R) and it's already set up to handle 300+ hp in the RLX.

Whoosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
I wouldn't be surprised if the next-gen R has SH-AWD. The three direct competitors have awd (STi, Focus RS, Golf R) and it's already set up to handle 300+ hp in the RLX.
I think they have to eventually (and the next gen would be perfect timing). It will forever be the knock on the Type R against its main competition if it doesn't.

LowFlyin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'66 New Yorker, '91 CRX Si, '91 Civic Tape-R, '91 Civic Wagon RT4WD, '14 Fiesta ST
Yea harder to compare now that the Focus RS is being fitted with AWD (same goes for Golf R) but Ford did say the new RS will have more than 316 hp. Maybe a better comparison is the previous model RS that's FWD.
I'll be very surprised if the new Type-R comes in cheaper than the Focus RS. While the RS might have a different drivetrain layout, the two will most definitely be direct competitors.

Considering I'm a Honda fanboi at heart, but I also have a Fiesta ST...the decision between FoRS and CTR is going to be difficult. Honda has had a tough past decade-and-a-half from an enthusiast's vehicle standpoint. That will weigh heavily on my choice...

s2ker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000
I'll be very surprised if the new Type-R comes in cheaper than the Focus RS. While the RS might have a different drivetrain layout, the two will most definitely be direct competitors.

Considering I'm a Honda fanboi at heart, but I also have a Fiesta ST...the decision between FoRS and CTR is going to be difficult. Honda has had a tough past decade-and-a-half from an enthusiast's vehicle standpoint. That will weigh heavily on my choice...
Maybe it'll help the Type R pricing that the US dollar is so strong against the yen right now? At least I hope so...

Definitely sad what happened to Honda in last few years. There hasn't been a true sporty car since the S2000 bowed out in 2009. But it sounds like the co. might finally be back in the sports car game with the NSX, new Civic (remains to be seen), bringing Type R to US, and that S660 convertible (too bad not coming to US).

Tegster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Integra (Tafetta White)
The Focus RS will continue to be built in their Germany plant. It's interesting to me that they dont bring it back in house to Michigan where the North American versions are built. Given that it won't and looking at the specs, I would bet it will be more expensive than the Type R.

LowFlyin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'66 New Yorker, '91 CRX Si, '91 Civic Tape-R, '91 Civic Wagon RT4WD, '14 Fiesta ST
The Focus RS will continue to be built in their Germany plant. It's interesting to me that they dont bring it back in house to Michigan where the North American versions are built. Given that it won't and looking at the specs, I would bet it will be more expensive than the Type R.
My Fiesta ST was built in one of Mexico City's suburbs.

The engine and trans were built in England, though.

hothatchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf Mark5
We'll see if Honda is serious about going after the new Focus RS, Golf R, and STi. If they are, it will come with a different drivetrain configuration considering there is already a big horsepower delta between these vehicles and what has been hinted about the 2.0L VTEC turbo.

Fresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Ridgeline
Understanding that honda has never done AWD in a civic, I'm betting that a few years after the FWD TypeR comes out, Acura will jump in with a hatch turbo AWD.

Aside, I started a mutual fund just to buy this Type R 5-door. This thing better be 300/300 or I'm gonna be piffed.

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
Understanding that honda has never done AWD in a civic, I'm betting that a few years after the FWD TypeR comes out, Acura will jump in with a hatch turbo AWD.
Return of the Integra maybe?

Honda's really back in the game I think. They got the new Civic, Type R and NSX coming. Rumors that the next CRZ will be based on this new Civic platform and NOT be a hybrid but use 4 cyl turbo. S1000 (based on the JDM S660) rumored to be coming too.
Sponsored