roppongi

Threads
Reaction score
Almost 40 MPG is damn impressive.

I agree Nissan's CVT is terrible! Haven't experienced Honda's CVT yet but reading good things here about it lately. I don't mind companies offering CVT in place of autos only if it helps us keep our manuals and also allows for less MPG friendly performance models.
Sponsored

NorCalRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Honda Civic Si Turbo, 2012 Vw Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2009Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4, 2001 Mazda Miata, 1963 Chevrolet Impala SS Wagon
Subaru's is horrible too. I've used Subaru's, Nissan's, Mitsubishi's and Kia's. I have not used the one in the accord yet. They have 8 and 9 speed automatic transmissions that do the same as the cvt transmissions for mileage. I like the dct in the Acura and would definitely prefer that over a cvt any day. I am a manual transmission kinda guy and if I have to have an auto, so be it. But making a car that is cvt only for the upper trim lvl's will make me not buy the car. I personally have had 14 Honda vehicles and will be purchasing a Civic Type R as soon as it is available. I was considering buying the new civic touring for my wife, but not if it only comes with a cvt.

Ten10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Accord
You definitely alienate a lot fewer enthusiasts if you go the way of an automatic trans over a CVT. It's a shame this is the trend and I agree with NorCal, this would be a deal breaker for me. Let's hope the Si is spared.

DrivenSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Honda Fit
I am interested in the 5-door coming out because frankly I'm a little tired of having a geeky looking Honda Fit - haha. I have an 08' Fit Sport manual and was interested in the new 6-speed manual EX Fit, but it would be nice to get something a little more refined. It sounds like a manual will only available in LX trim - meaning there won't be a chance to get it with the 1.5 turbo :/ I thought that engine would be the perfect amount of power but like many of you guys said, CVTs are just so unpleasant to drive. A real bummer.

Now this makes me curious which body style they plan to make the Si in! An Si hatchback would be really awesome!

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
In the past the Civic Si has been manual only, and my guess is that's what they're going to do this generation too. And the Si will probably get the 2.0 turbo as well, and a bump in horsepower to maybe c. 260 or so? One question might be: would it need AWD with that kind of power?

I think eventually there will be a Hatchback Si, but that's coming from England and won't arrive for at least a year. The Sedan Si should be first, and I think that one might arrive as soon as Feb. or March.

You guys really need to try Honda's CVT before you dismiss it. How much will a test drive hurt you? If you're even considering an auto, Honda's CVT might surprise you.

If you're manual only person, then I agree it's a bummer that they aren't going to allow a manual with the 1.5T. I was intrigued by that possibility myself.

But many of the reasons I used to buy a manual no longer exist. I still like rowing my own, but there's now a big mpg penalty for that. Plus the few manuals they make are so hard to find that it's difficult to get dealers to compete with you on price. Resale value also takes a hit because so few can or want to drive manuals these days.

Finally, unless you're willing to hold it in 2nd to the redline, which I think is unpleasant, you're actually going to get to 60 faster with a CVT anyway.

I've been shifting my own since 1979 with a variety of cars and trucks, but I'm thinking of maybe giving it up when I trade in my 2008 Accord....

Last edited:

DrivenSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Honda Fit
This would only be my second car that ive owned so I'm not sure if I'm ready to give up manual yet. CVTs are really great for lounging through town or cruising the freeway, but I just love the direct feeling of a manual. A DCT would have been awesome and I probably would have been game for that.
I just drove a prius V around yesterday, the around town acceleration was really good - but the lack of a clutch pedal and mushy response just felt so wrong!

As far as an Si being AWD, I'm leaning towards no - isn't the Type R still front wheel drive? As long as the Si has at least 220hp, I'll be content. It'll most likely be turbocharged so we'll have tons of torque to mess with.

Last edited:

hothatchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf Mark5
Love the pix. Thanks.

This car looks like a home run to me.

Question for anyone who was there: what about visibility from the driver's seat to the back of the car? Looks like it has big blind spots, which is a bummer, because I love the styling.
The more raked rear glass is sure to have worse visibility especially since as another member pointed out the rear seats seem to extend pretty high up. Then again the car is wider overall. The coupe and hatch visibility is more of a concern to me judging from the spy photos. The combination of a stronger rake and lack of a rear quarter window I'm hoping will not cause any visibility issues.

Viva la vida

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T
In the past the Civic Si has been manual only, and my guess is that's what they're going to do this generation too. And the Si will probably get the 2.0 turbo as well, and a bump in horsepower to maybe c. 260 or so? One question might be: would it need AWD with that kind of power?
As far as an Si being AWD, I'm leaning towards no - isn't the Type R still front wheel drive? As long as the Si has at least 220hp, I'll be content. It'll most likely be turbocharged so we'll have tons of torque to mess with.
There's lots of cars with more than 260hp that don't need AWD to put down the power properly. AWD is great for launches and of course bad weather but they're really boring cars to drive!

I'd rather deal with torque steer than the boredom from a AWD. And they add weight, complexity and of course more expensive.

DrivenSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Honda Fit
I feel that almost any new car pretty much has blind spot issues since the side and rear windows keep getting slimmer. :/
But from what I've heard they do that to make the cars safer for crashes?

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
The more raked rear glass is sure to have worse visibility especially since as another member pointed out the rear seats seem to extend pretty high up. Then again the car is wider overall. The coupe and hatch visibility is more of a concern to me judging from the spy photos. The combination of a stronger rake and lack of a rear quarter window I'm hoping will not cause any visibility issues.
Unfortunately, it seems likely the new Civic sedan will have big blind spots to the rear for the driver—esp. directly behind.

If you want a car with great visibility, the Accord is best in class.

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
I feel that almost any new car pretty much has blind spot issues since the side and rear windows keep getting slimmer. :/
But from what I've heard they do that to make the cars safer for crashes?
No, it's just a styling trend and has nothing to do with safety.

The Accord is one of the safest cars on the road, and has excellent visibility all around.

I think the 2016 Civic looks fantastic, but visibility out the rear looks like it's going to suck.

s2ker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000
No, it's just a styling trend and has nothing to do with safety.

The Accord is one of the safest cars on the road, and has excellent visibility all around.

I think the 2016 Civic looks fantastic, but visibility out the rear looks like it's going to suck.
Yea its guaranteed to have worse visibility out the rear compared to current one.

The cooler looking a car is the worse its visibility is unfortunately. Steep rake, large pronounced rear shoulders, slimmer windows, large sloping C pillar... those are things that make a car look good. But ever sit in an exotic? Some of them have the worst visibility imaginable and thats why they need those long ass side mirrors.

Convertibles on the other hand can look cool and have the best visibility, if I must say so myself :D

///Mookster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
The cooler looking a car is the worse its visibility is unfortunately. Steep rake, large pronounced rear shoulders, slimmer windows, large sloping C pillar... those are things that make a car look good. But ever sit in an exotic? Some of them have the worst visibility imaginable and thats why they need those long ass side mirrors.
Which is why concept vehicles always have people raving until they get into the car and realize they are sitting in a human missile.

As with the Civic concept which looked GREAT, if they sold the production Civic with these proportions you know the #1 complaint would be visibility and headroom.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic Sedan Reveal - CivicX LIVE Coverage at YouTube Space LA! {filename}

That rake and fast profile looks really good and every manufacturer can design a car that looks like a sketch but they have to strike a balance with practicalities. Hardcore vehicles like the Type R on the other hand can say screw it to all the grocery getters and go nuts :)

DrivenSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Honda Fit
I've driven my friend's S2000 with the roof up, it's a scary experience! Lol but yes with the roof down the visibility is incredible.
My Fit and pretty much all 3 generations of the Fit have huge A pillars. I always almost run into pedestrians at low speed :/

Tegster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Integra (Tafetta White)
Now this makes me curious which body style they plan to make the Si in! An Si hatchback would be really awesome!
If they're making both a coupe and sedan Si now I don't see why we won't get a 2016 Si model in coupe and sedan form again?

Hatchback would be cool too but maybe they reserve that for the Type-R! :headbang:
Sponsored