Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
50k views on this thread already! Lots of people interested in this car and I think that's gotta do with how it surprised everyone with its looks. I popped into some car blogs that printed these pics and the comments were overall positive. Online people love trolling anything Civic related so for the online reaction to be positive it's really saying something about this new design. Let's face it, the current gen sedan styling was really bland...
Sponsored

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
50k views on this thread already! Lots of people interested in this car and I think that's gotta do with how it surprised everyone with its looks. I popped into some car blogs that printed these pics and the comments were overall positive. Online people love trolling anything Civic related so for the online reaction to be positive it's really saying something about this new design. Let's face it, the current gen sedan styling was really bland...
Yea. Alot of honda haters in general, for no reason other than to hate anything import company made. Mostly american car enthusiasts. Motortrend forums is THE WORST for people just hating to be hating and posting the dumbest comments ever. They all hated on the 9th gen 2012 civics and then loved when the new Volt debuted with a front end looking exactly like the 9th gen civic coupe before refresh. Go figure. haha. Most of the views are people probably not even on this forum but doing google searches as this is one of the places that pops up first for images and news on the new civic.

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
Yea. Alot of honda haters in general, for no reason other than to hate anything import company made. Mostly american car enthusiasts. Motortrend forums is THE WORST for people just hating to be hating and posting the dumbest comments ever. They all hated on the 9th gen 2012 civics and then loved when the new Volt debuted with a front end looking exactly like the 9th gen civic coupe before refresh. Go figure. haha. Most of the views are people probably not even on this forum but doing google searches as this is one of the places that pops up first for images and news on the new civic.

Yea I try to stay away from those general car forums like Motortrend since they're just troll central, but I was curious to see if the rest of the online car world reacted to the sedan as positive as we did here. I was pleasantly surprised. Imagine what the reaction will be like once the pretty glossy press photos are released and we see the car under show lighting from the reveal on Wed. Just hope it's got the specs to back up the looks. :fingerscrossed:

hothatchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf Mark5
There is a large group of Honda buyers who would prefer to do without the Hyundai style chrome treatments. Honda should make it limited to the vehicles with leather interior.

Or hopefully there will be non-chrome replacements for this tacked on brightwork.
Me included. This is the touring model so I expected it to have chrome trims. Maybe the lower models black trim?

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Me included. This is the touring model so I expected it to have chrome trims. Maybe the lower models black trim?
I doubt that. I'm not sure what the issue is with the chrome. the current sedan has chrome front and back, it just doesn't have the window surrounds. most likely the coupe will only have the upper window trim like the concept car does which i think adds a nice touch. Hoping honda uses the black chrome like they did on the accord coupe for the civic coupe.

Really instead of true chrome i wish they use the brushed steel chrome look like the acuras use. Its more muted, less shiny. I really don't mind the amount of chrome on the new civic. Yea, there is alot of it on the front grill, but i think the window surround looks ok and it doesn't have the stupid chrome bar across the back of the trunk like the current sedan does.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Civics up through 95 didn't have chrome. If any window trim on various models was not black, it'd be a stainless type metal, not shiny.

So I think those of us who prefer the clean simple style of civics 95 and earlier will take issue with the chrome.

Another issue with the chrome is that it feels very Hyundai to me. The previous Sonata had the chrome window strip reach out into the headlights. So to me this is a Hyundai design language. Actually the fastback roofline on the sedans profile also looks very last generation Sonata.

But I do appreciate that the chrome trim was removed from the deck lid.

Btw, are we sure that is a chrome strip in the side mirrors and not turn signal repeaters?

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Civics up through 95 didn't have chrome. If any window trim on various models was not black, it'd be a stainless type metal, not shiny.

So I think those of us who prefer the clean simple style of civics 95 and earlier will take issue with the chrome.

Another issue with the chrome is that it feels very Hyundai to me. The previous Sonata had the chrome window strip reach out into the headlights. So to me this is a Hyundai design language. Actually the fastback roofline on the sedans profile also looks very last generation Sonata.

But I do appreciate that the chrome trim was removed from the deck lid.

Btw, are we sure that is a chrome strip in the side mirrors and not turn signal repeaters?
I doubt they're turn signals. The coupe and sedan have turn signals in the main lights as well as on the sides on the quarter panels (the little orange rectangle by the wheels). Having turn signals also in the mirrors seems like overkill on turn signal lights to me.

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
I doubt they're turn signals. The coupe and sedan have turn signals in the main lights as well as on the sides on the quarter panels (the little orange rectangle by the wheels). Having turn signals also in the mirrors seems like overkill on turn signal lights to me.
I think the amber rectangles in the front of the fender are reflectors. The side mirrors look to have the turn signals in them to my eye, doesn't look as shiny as the chrome.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think the amber rectangles in the front of the fender are reflectors. The side mirrors look to have the turn signals in them to my eye, doesn't look as shiny as the chrome.
I'm not sure... i could have sworn that in one of the spy shots and the spy video that was posted when they were turning and had the signals on i saw those light up. It's probably a slightly more cost effective option over the mirror turn signals (less length of extra wiring). I feel like i saw them light up. Though i would rather have mirror turn signals, i don't know.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks like Honda's teaser silhouette for the sedan reveal was pretty much accurate to life.

civicx.jpg
I'd be pretty disappointed in honda if their own teaser sketch wasn't accurate to the real car. haha.

Viva la vida

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T
Don't mistake "sporty" for "current". Sure, the 10th looks more current, but (IMO) less sporty. I'm sure some others will agree. I don't need to be a graphic designer to know what a sports car should look like. I'm sure you could put Accord badges on this 10th sedan and fool millions of people, especially considering the Accord is now a little sporty itself (actually about the same as this Civic).
I'm actually shocked anyone believes the current Civic is sportier looking than what we have seen from the 10th gen. Let's ignore the wheels for a sec since it's always an easy trick. The roofline of the car is way more raked which always translates to sportier. I've even read people say that the Civic X is imitating Ford's fastback profile. Compare the side and rear views. The current car has a typical vanilla sedan roofline while the next gen sedan at least tries to be sporty in this respect. Also has larger front and rear fenders and more curves in general.

The rear view stands out even more as the roof extends all the way to the rear deck as opposed to ending right by the rear glass. Major sporty difference there. And those boomerang lights make a huge difference.

Honda Civic 10th gen Spotted: 2016 Honda Civic Sedan FULLY Revealed! 2015_Civic_Sedan_detail_overview_hor_01

Honda Civic 10th gen Spotted: 2016 Honda Civic Sedan FULLY Revealed! 2015_Civic_Sedan_detail_overview_hor_01

Honda Civic 10th gen Spotted: 2016 Honda Civic Sedan FULLY Revealed! 2015-Honda-Civic-Back

Honda Civic 10th gen Spotted: 2016 Honda Civic Sedan FULLY Revealed! 2015-Honda-Civic-Back

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
But you can't give credit to Honda for this shape, it has been around for a while. As for the 'sporty' debate, I really don't understand. You can't tell someone what 'sporty' is, it's an opinion. To each their own.

Chrysler 200:
Honda Civic 10th gen Spotted: 2016 Honda Civic Sedan FULLY Revealed! lead4-2015-chrysler-200-fd

Ford Fusion:
Honda Civic 10th gen Spotted: 2016 Honda Civic Sedan FULLY Revealed! 2013-ford-fusion_100376529_l

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Like i said, the coupe profile sedan idea has been around for a while. Honda's just incorporating it now to the civic.

As for sporty or not it is opinion to a degree but there are also design cues that are widely accepted as being "sport oriented" design cues, even though non-sports cars use them all the time to give the illusion of sportiness.