BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
just drain all of the current fluid and then add 2 qtz of the amsoil. no need to flush.
Sponsored

ToastedSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Thanks for the write up. at 6k miles, the transmission feels very notchy and crunchy so I may change my fluids to amsoil to see if it helps.

burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Yeah I think 5k is a a little to early as well. I mean it is a need trans but previous gen si trans took a beating from me and they were fine. I will be changing mine at 20k. and my oil every 3k miles.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Thanks for the advice. I work sales at my dealer so I trust the Service Director to get it done for me. Even if the job is super easy and there are plenty of DIY guides everywhere, I am not confident enough to just do this my first time working on a car.

From reading your posts, California doesn’t really hit 35 degrees, ever, so 100% amsoil should be fine, right? Even then, I tend to always warm up my vehicle for 5 minutes before driving.
I grew up in LA, you can go to the beach in the middle of December! In fact it's an unusually cold 76 degrees right now

Last edited:

redwineforme

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, 2004 Civic Si, 1996 Corvette
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you very much Tenshi. I just got my Si today, and I'll be doing this at probably 1000 miles, then again at 5000 miles. When do you recommend I do my first oil change? 600 miles?

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Thank you very much Tenshi. I just got my Si today, and I'll be doing this at probably 1000 miles, then again at 5000 miles. When do you recommend I do my first oil change? 600 miles?
4k miles for oil change

redwineforme

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
4k miles for oil change
4k? That seems like a lot. The manual says not to drive it hard the first 600 miles. I was thinking maybe changing it at 600 to get rid of some of the pieces of metal? Why do you say 4k? Sorry, still a noob with this car and any NEW car.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
drive it easy for the first 600 miles dont change the oil that early though. theres no need to do the first oil change that soon. unless it just makes you feel better, the oil is fine to wait that long.

Toolz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

redwineforme

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was planning on using this but reading that link it says not for limited slip which the Si has.
Thoughts?

“Replaces Honda Genuine MTF fluid for manual transaxles and Texaco MTX fluid. Not for use in engines, hypoid rear axles, limited-slip or wet-clutch applications.”
I would not use it at all then. I'm going to stick with Honda Genuine MTF but even before that I'll call the dealership and ask to see if they have a special MTF for this vehicle or if it's the regular MTF.

MGZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, Previously 2016 EX-L (50k miles)
Country flag
I was planning on using this but reading that link it says not for limited slip which the Si has.
Thoughts?

“Replaces Honda Genuine MTF fluid for manual transaxles and Texaco MTX fluid. Not for use in engines, hypoid rear axles, limited-slip or wet-clutch applications.”
Looks like this was brought up and covered in another thread: https://www.civicx.com/threads/my-shiny-new-knob-update-on-last-page-hd-pics.16950/page-4
Think you should be good to go if you want to make the switch.

If anyone was worries like me, there is no need. I contacted Amsoil and they sent back this response.

"Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your question. The Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid covers the specifications for your transmission so it will be fine to use. The note about not using in limited slip applications is referring to not using it in differentials or hypoid gears.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact us."

I will be swapping out my MTF now, because to me, the shifts occasionally feel notchy.
Sponsored