mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
So the level check bolt requires a crush washer? What size is that one?

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
just measure how much you drain and pour back the same. was 1.9qts in my case
Is there a way to ensure proper fluid level?
I would like to take the opportunity to make sure the transmission has the right amount of MTF.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Is there a way to ensure proper fluid level?
I would like to take the opportunity to make sure the transmission has the right amount of MTF.
Manual transmission don’t burn oil, so unless it is leaking - amount should be close to 2qt. Drain, measure, put back in same volume. Problem solved

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Honda MTF is fine so long as it is changed every 30k Km’s or 18.5k miles. It was that way in my 9th gen as well...Amsoil is probably fine but I haven’t tried it. The reason for the oem change sooner is that the friction modifiers break down which causes the syncros to be less effective and stiffer shifts. My major concern is winter... gets f***in cold up here. Even the Honda fluid gets thick and hard to shift until warmed up. Regular changes of the oem oil keeps the tranny shifting perfectly.

Old George

First Name
Georges
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I replaced the original MTF with Amsoil MTF in august 2018. I removed the airbox to replace the original bushings by Acuity.
It's much better. Some say that Amsoil is not good in winter where it is cold.
I have not found a difference,and yet here, believe-me, we are cold in winter.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I replaced the original MTF with Amsoil MTF in august 2018. I removed the airbox to replace the original bushings by Acuity.
It's much better. Some say that Amsoil is not good in winter where it is cold.
I have not found a difference,and yet here, believe-me, we are cold in winter.
Thanks for your information. I was concerned about its performance in cold weather.
Does anyone know if Honda OE MTF is full synthetic?

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Thanks for your information. I was concerned about its performance in cold weather.
Does anyone know if Honda OE MTF is full synthetic?
No, it's not

eee.ccc

First Name
Vale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 DC5, 2019 Si Sedan
Country flag
@Tenshi
Thank you for this write up. Exactly what I was looking for.

Just wondering if anyone had a chance to take a picture of the fill check bolt . I had a look at the exploded diagram as per the fill washer link but I'm quite insecure and am looking for a 'double confirm' ?

Last edited:

WF19

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan Aegean Blue Metallic; 2003 Pontiac Vibe (just sold)
Country flag
@Tenshi
Thank you for this write up. Exactly what I was looking for.

Just wondering if anyone had a chance to take a picture of the fill check bolt . I had a look at the exploded diagram as per the fill washer link but I'm quite insecure and am looking for a 'double confirm' ?
I just finished changing my transmission fluid and didn't take a picture, but as Tenshi wrote, it's the only 10mm bolt in the pattern. I poured the whole 2 quarts of Amsoil in and didn't notice anything come out of the level check hole, though. Haven't driven the car yet but will report back later on what differences if any I notice in the shifting.

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag
Looks like this was brought up and covered in another thread: https://www.civicx.com/threads/my-shiny-new-knob-update-on-last-page-hd-pics.16950/page-4
Think you should be good to go if you want to make the switch.
So a dealer is claiming AMSOIL and killed an Si transmission and voided the warranty, new post on the 10th gen performance FB page by Adam Klimek, here's the text from the post since FB is a pain to find stuff on.

"As some of you may know my transmission failed the other day. I got the chance to tear it down today to find out that 1st and 2nd destroyer eachother. Everything was under warranty even with being FBO and with a Type R clutch. What voided the warranty and caused the trans to fail you may ask? Amsoil synchromesh according to Honda’s field service engineer. $2,700 for a rebuild is what I’ve been quoted. $3,800 for a new one or I can get a built one for $4,200. I should have the car back on the road Monday."

HustedDrums

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
So a dealer is claiming AMSOIL and killed an Si transmission and voided the warranty, new post on the 10th gen performance FB page by Adam Klimek, here's the text from the post since FB is a pain to find stuff on.

"As some of you may know my transmission failed the other day. I got the chance to tear it down today to find out that 1st and 2nd destroyer eachother. Everything was under warranty even with being FBO and with a Type R clutch. What voided the warranty and caused the trans to fail you may ask? Amsoil synchromesh according to Honda’s field service engineer. $2,700 for a rebuild is what I’ve been quoted. $3,800 for a new one or I can get a built one for $4,200. I should have the car back on the road Monday."
My 19 Si has 14k miles on it. Thought about making the switch since I have that 1st to 2nd crunch. It's really noticeable sometimes. Think we should hold off from the switch then?

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag
My 19 Si has 14k miles on it. Thought about making the switch since I have that 1st to 2nd crunch. It's really noticeable sometimes. Think we should hold off from the switch then?
No idea! I'm not very knowledgeable about oils. The OP from the FB post made it sound like they were only blaming the fluid so he wouldn't void the entire powertrain warranty since he was FBO.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Is it okay that MTF I bought a while back is just sitting in a 100-degree garage all summer? I assume it's fine since it probably just does the same thing in the car.
Sponsored