Oil + Transmission Fluid change

10Gensi

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Just thought id share some input on what I found. My first two oil changes were at the dealership where according to the receipt they used Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20. When I checked my dip stick prior to this change it looked somewhat dirty but to my surprise it was filthy when I drained it which was shocking for only 4,100 miles on this oil. I was up in the air between mobile one and Pennzoil but I like what I was reading about Pennzoil so I decided to stay with it since I know thats what is actually being put in the car. Kind of makes me wonder if they were actually putting that oil in my car or not.

Additionally, I changed the transmission fluid to Amsoil Synchromesh because I was hoping it would eliminate some of the crunchiness and roughness. Just as I experienced with this fluid in my old 8th gen si it is a complete night and day difference with each shift being smooth as butter. I am not a salesman or anything for Amsoil but I can attest on two different vehicles that this stuff if amazing. Between both fluid changes the car seems to be running a lot smoother and overall feels better. Hope this helps some of you out and please let me know if you any feedback on the oil situation.

If anyone needs advice on the transmission fluid change @Tenshi has a great write up that really helped me out!
https://www.civicx.com/threads/transmission-fluid-change-2017-si.24076/

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil + Transmission Fluid change Oil.JPG
Sponsored

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Just thought id share some input on what I found. My first two oil changes were at the dealership where according to the receipt they used Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20. When I checked my dip stick prior to this change it looked somewhat dirty but to my surprise it was filthy when I drained it which was shocking for only 4,100 miles on this oil. I was up in the air between mobile one and Pennzoil but I like what I was reading about Pennzoil so I decided to stay with it since I know thats what is actually being put in the car. Kind of makes me wonder if they were actually putting that oil in my car or not.

Additionally, I changed the transmission fluid to Amsoil Synchromesh because I was hoping it would eliminate some of the crunchiness and roughness. Just as I experienced with this fluid in my old 8th gen si it is a complete night and day difference with each shift being smooth as butter. I am not a salesman or anything for Amsoil but I can attest on two different vehicles that this stuff if amazing. Between both fluid changes the car seems to be running a lot smoother and overall feels better. Hope this helps some of you out and please let me know if you any feedback on the oil situation.

If anyone needs advice on the transmission fluid change @Tenshi has a great write up that really helped me out!

Oil.JPG

It's in your head the transmission fluid change didn't actually do anything. I like how people think they can outsmart one of the best engine manufacturers in the world. If the fluids were reversed I guarantee you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Why were you even spending time trying to figure out which oil to use? Just use what's recommended.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Honda dealerships use Pennzoil? In Canada, they all use Honda branded engine oil.

BTW. Who makes Honda oil?

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
It's in your head the transmission fluid change didn't actually do anything. I like how people think they can outsmart one of the best engine manufacturers in the world. If the fluids were reversed I guarantee you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Why were you even spending time trying to figure out which oil to use? Just use what's recommended.
I can bet 1000$ that it did and it does. Same as it did in my car, same as it did for many others. There’s a HUGE difference.

But wait, it’s honda with their top notch engineering that has no flaws,why would you bother with something like scamsoil???

Open your eyes buddy, there’s nothing perfect in this world. These cars are not perfect either. Even more so engineering behind these cars.
And before bashing on people’s experience try it for yourself.

OP
OP
10Gensi

10Gensi

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan

Oh yeah its all in my head thats why it eliminated the 2nd gear grind that was occurring on many 8th gens back in the day right? Thats why I no longer have any of the notchy feel on this gear box right?

Clearly I knew which oil to use given the fact I stayed with 0W-20 (WHICH IS WHATS RECOMMENDED) and didn't change that I was researching different brands. Keep your dumbass comments to yourself because clearly many people stand behind swapping to this transmission fluid.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
Got a link to the transmission fluid that we need for Amsoil? How many bottles

Oil.JPG

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe

LOL. You do realize that OEM fluids are the MINIMUM requirements for the vehicle correct? So yes most other fluids especially a REAL 100% synthetic fluid are a HUGE improvement over stock and I have heard the same from many who have used that particular transmission fluid.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Any synthetic gear oil that meets API GL-4 standards is an improvement over the sand that they filled the gearbox with from the factory.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Anyone have a link to the Amsoil we need for our car and how much to use?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
This is what I used, you would have to look for a BG distributor in your area. Honda Civic 10th gen Oil + Transmission Fluid change 20180527_170136

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
LOL. You do realize that OEM fluids are the MINIMUM requirements for the vehicle correct? So yes most other fluids especially a REAL 100% synthetic fluid are a HUGE improvement over stock and I have heard the same from many who have used that particular transmission fluid.
I know that OE engine oil is synthetic. When I did my first oil change last month, they use Honda branded full synthetic 0w20.

How about OE manual transmission fluid? Are they 100% full synthetic?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I know that OE engine oil is synthetic. When I did my first oil change last month, they use Honda branded full synthetic 0w20.

How about OE manual transmission fluid? Are they 100% full synthetic?
Honda MTF is SAE 75W-80 API GL-4 full synthetic

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Honda MTF is SAE 75W-80 API GL-4 full synthetic
Thanks.
Some of the previous posts in this thread seem to imply that the OE MTF is subpar so I thought it was not fully synthetic.
Sponsored