My Shiny New Knob * UPDATE on last page* (HD pics)

Zukoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Ordered mine last week. I should have waited until today to get the 20% off, that's like $35 off! :(

GenXCTR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I used synchromesh for the life of my FG-2 and it eliminated gear grind & smoothed out shifting. Wasn’t aware it mentioned anything about LSD’s, but no issues for well over 100,000 miles.
If anyone was worries like me, there is no need. I contacted Amsoil and they sent back this response.

"Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your question. The Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid covers the specifications for your transmission so it will be fine to use. The note about not using in limited slip applications is referring to not using it in differentials or hypoid gears.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact us."

I will be swapping out my MTF now, because to me, the shifts occasionally feel notchy.

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If anyone was worries like me, there is no need. I contacted Amsoil and they sent back this response.

"Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your question. The Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid covers the specifications for your transmission so it will be fine to use. The note about not using in limited slip applications is referring to not using it in differentials or hypoid gears.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact us."

I will be swapping out my MTF now, because to me, the shifts occasionally feel notchy.
My assumption was that their note meant not to use it in differentials, but glad that you confirmed. I switched over to the Synchromesh on Saturday and there is a noticeable difference. All gear grinding is gone, engine breaking is much smoother & the transmission seems to be happier/smoother overall. This seems to me to be one of those no brainers, as the cost for 3 quarts of the Amsoil MTF is less than $50. mY transmission took about 2.5 quarts, just FYI.

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
Damn that Black Friday sale was Pure Evil :yes:
Really like that photo. Looks good. When I looked on your instagram I didn't care for the side view. It reminded me of something :eek::rofl:. Need to get my mind out of the gutter.

Brandons2697

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
How do you take the OEM knob off? I've tried squeezing the chrome tabs and pulling up on the knob but nothing seems to work. Automatic transmission

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
How do you take the OEM knob off? I've tried squeezing the chrome tabs and pulling up on the knob but nothing seems to work. Automatic transmission
Might want to try the general Civic discussion area since this thread/area is specific for the Type R.

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I received my custom translucent bronze slammer from Race Engineering last week, installed it and had a chance to drive with several times. The quality of the machining & finish is excellent, no issues there or with the installation. It is as advertised & a nice knob. I don't think I was quite ready for the size or weight of this knob; it is really big and much heavier than the stock knob. No issues with the weight as it is designed that way to change the shifting characteristics of the lever and this I do like. I'm afraid I just can't get over the size of the knob and for this reason I removed it and went back to the stock knob. I think you would get used to it over time and the shifting is improved, but it is just a tad too big for my hands I am going to post & sell it on this forum, but wanted to give any on this post a chance to grab, if they want. It cost $180, but I will let it go for $150 to entice anyone interested. It is flawless, has all the original packing, adapter, shift boot retainer (not necessary, but good to have) & the Gate 3 engraving. Message me if you are interested, otherwise I will put it on the sell/buy forum. I can send more pics if desired. It took 6 weeks to get here, but I will have it to you in less than a week!
Honda Civic 10th gen My Shiny New Knob * UPDATE on last page* (HD pics) knob

OP
OP
FK_8

FK_8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR 187
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen My Shiny New Knob * UPDATE on last page* (HD pics) 4CBEC252-FA08-4CE9-BEAF-C497C5607117

First time at the Track last Saturday & having that helmet on plus the limited head room in the CTR, i wasn’t aware that you are not able to look down at all during driving!
No problem about that, but it was then that i realized why having a taller shift knob helps.
It was a blast!

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
I received my custom translucent bronze slammer from Race Engineering last week, installed it and had a chance to drive with several times. The quality of the machining & finish is excellent, no issues there or with the installation. It is as advertised & a nice knob. I don't think I was quite ready for the size or weight of this knob; it is really big and much heavier than the stock knob. No issues with the weight as it is designed that way to change the shifting characteristics of the lever and this I do like. I'm afraid I just can't get over the size of the knob and for this reason I removed it and went back to the stock knob. I think you would get used to it over time and the shifting is improved, but it is just a tad too big for my hands I am going to post & sell it on this forum, but wanted to give any on this post a chance to grab, if they want. It cost $180, but I will let it go for $150 to entice anyone interested. It is flawless, has all the original packing, adapter, shift boot retainer (not necessary, but good to have) & the Gate 3 engraving. Message me if you are interested, otherwise I will put it on the sell/buy forum. I can send more pics if desired. It took 6 weeks to get here, but I will have it to you in less than a week!
knob.jpg
Maybe give it couple more drives? Even though I didn't comment on it, the Slammer is a little big. But after a few more drives, I didn't noticed it anymore.:)

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ended up going with the K Tuned knob. Much better fit for my hobbit hands and I much prefer the feedback. The Race Eng was so big & heavy that it made the shifts feel kind of dead.
Honda Civic 10th gen My Shiny New Knob * UPDATE on last page* (HD pics) KTuned Knob

Z0SO

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2008 Jeep Rubicon
Quick question, I saw on another Honda forum that switching tranny fluids would void the warranty, is that true? Im picking up my CTR in 9 days and would lpve to swap out the fluids for the Amsoil. Thanks for your time!

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Quick question, I saw on another Honda forum that switching tranny fluids would void the warranty, is that true? Im picking up my CTR in 9 days and would lpve to swap out the fluids for the Amsoil. Thanks for your time!
It will not void the warranty. My Honda dealer changed the tranny fluid to Amsoil for me. However, leave the motor oil in there for at least 5k miles. It is a special blend that aids break-in, so wait for your first oil change to go full synthetic. You can switch the tranny oil whenever you like. Congrats on the new CTR!
Sponsored