Oil + Transmission Fluid change

Deleted member

It's in your head the transmission fluid change didn't actually do anything. I like how people think they can outsmart one of the best engine manufacturers in the world. If the fluids were reversed I guarantee you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Why were you even spending time trying to figure out which oil to use? Just use what's recommended.
Sure, if you bought a Formula 1 car it would be a little silly to question the engineering choices but the Civic is a product meant to be sold at a profit to consumers.

Honda's recommendation does not equal "best possible option and all attempts to best it are fruitless". What Honda recommends is the result of engineers being tasked with finding the cheapest possible solution that will do the bare minimum job required. The end user can usually find better(albeit often more expensive) options for just about every aspect of the vehicle.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

typeaarrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
typeaarrr
Country flag
Oh yeah its all in my head thats why it eliminated the 2nd gear grind that was occurring on many 8th gens back in the day right? Thats why I no longer have any of the notchy feel on this gear box right?
Most likely when you changed your transmission oil, the debris that's caught in your old transmission were removed. The debris acted like rocks being thrown in between you gear, causing your 2nd gear crunch or grind. Rarely does using a "higher grade" oil will fix whatever transmission issues you may have.

typeaarrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
typeaarrr
Country flag
Honda's recommendation does not equal "best possible option and all attempts to best it are fruitless".
Honda's recommendation is always the best to avoid voiding your transmission and engine warranty.

Edit: Friends and family always ask me what oil should I used. I always tell them to use whatever oil that does not void your warranty. It's usually cheaper to get OEM oil than is to buy premium brand oil (e.g motul, amsoil, etc.)

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
Will Amsoil 05w-30 void the warranty then?

Honda's recommendation is always the best to avoid voiding your transmission and engine warranty.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
If it's not stated in your owner's manual, then Honda has case to void your engine warranty because you did not use the proper oil weight.
Honda cannot void your warranty for oil weight unless they can prove you were running an oil that didn't meet spec for the ambient temperature range. In the owner's manual (page 515) it even states that it is a recommendation, not a requirement, and further states to use a suitable viscosity for ambient temperature.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil + Transmission Fluid change Untitled

Unless you live in extremely cold temps up north where it regularly gets under -20F, it is possible to use a higher viscosity as long as the ambient temperature is within the specified range of the oil you are using.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil + Transmission Fluid change cache

Last edited:

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok so that parts oil. Is MTF ok to use 5-30? I use Honda oil for my oil changes but heard good things about Amsoil for MTF

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so that parts oil. Is MTF ok to use 5-30? I use Honda oil for my oil changes but heard good things about Amsoil for MTF
SAE engine oil and SAE gear oil are not measured on the same scale. A gear oil that is rated 75W-80 is comparable to an engine oil rated at 10w-30.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil + Transmission Fluid change visc

from amsoil's website re:syncromesh (https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod.../manual-synchromesh-transmission-fluid-5w-30/)

Applications
Recommended for automotive and light-truck applications that require synchromesh transmission fluid. Applications include manual transmissions and transaxles such as New Venture NV T350, NV 1500, NV 2550, NV 3500, NV 3550, NV 5600, and Tremec T4, T5, T18, T56, T176, TKO500, TKO600, TR 3450 and TR 3550. Replaces MTF-94 fluid for Land Rover, MG, and Mini Cooper. Replaces Honda Genuine MTF fluid for manual transaxles and Texaco MTX fluid. Not for use in engines, hypoid rear axles, limited-slip or wet-clutch applications.

Last edited:

typeaarrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
typeaarrr
Country flag
Honda cannot void your warranty for oil weight unless they can prove you were running an oil that didn't meet spec for the ambient temperature range.
That's what I said. Honda can void your engine warranty for using improper oil.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
That's what I said. Honda can void your engine warranty for using improper oil.
If the ambient temp is within the specified range for the oil you are running, then no. Honda cannot void your warranty for using a product that meets the correct API specs and is being used as intended.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Ford makes some magical full synthetic manual tranmission fluid - over in the miata forums we call it "unicorn tears". It is known to improve the mx5's shift feeling.

jaydan1020

First Name
Jaydan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cjsynthetic.myamsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si. 2019 CR-V
Country flag
If anyone needs Amsoil you can get some here.

http://cjsynthetic.myamsoil.com/

If you scroll to the bottom of the page and go to the “search by vehicle” section, add you vehicles information and it will pull up all the products for your vehicle as well as show the amount needed and the torque specs.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is SI engine LB15BA or LB15B7

If anyone needs Amsoil you can get some here.

http://cjsynthetic.myamsoil.com/

If you scroll to the bottom of the page and go to the “search by vehicle” section, add you vehicles information and it will pull up all the products for your vehicle as well as show the amount needed and the torque specs.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Switched to amsoil transmission last week. Big difference. Highly recommend the switch.
Sponsored