Transmission Fluid Change 2017 Si

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
Don't use anything but the Honda recommended fluid if you're still in warranty and you don't want to risk voiding it.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
So a dealer is claiming AMSOIL and killed an Si transmission and voided the warranty, new post on the 10th gen performance FB page by Adam Klimek, here's the text from the post since FB is a pain to find stuff on.

"As some of you may know my transmission failed the other day. I got the chance to tear it down today to find out that 1st and 2nd destroyer eachother. Everything was under warranty even with being FBO and with a Type R clutch. What voided the warranty and caused the trans to fail you may ask? Amsoil synchromesh according to Honda’s field service engineer. $2,700 for a rebuild is what I’ve been quoted. $3,800 for a new one or I can get a built one for $4,200. I should have the car back on the road Monday."
Amsoil MTF is same rating as Honda MTF and Amsoil is fully synthetic whereas Honda is not. Apart from that I don't see major difference apart from some tech specs related to flash point temperatures etc. I don't think Honda voids warranty if you replace your oil with well known brands as long as you are sticking with correct grade of oil

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag
Amsoil MTF is same rating as Honda MTF and Amsoil is fully synthetic whereas Honda is not. Apart from that I don't see major difference apart from some tech specs related to flash point temperatures etc. I don't think Honda voids warranty if you replace your oil with well known brands as long as you are sticking with correct grade of oil
The guy had further comment on the post saying he was full bolt on and he thinks the tech was helping him out by saying it was the MTF that caused the issue so he didn't get his entire powertrain warranty voided.

Seems to make a lot more sense.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
The guy had further comment on the post saying he was full bolt on and he thinks the tech was helping him out by saying it was the MTF that caused the issue so he didn't get his entire powertrain warranty voided.

Seems to make a lot more sense.
ok, so he said that the Honda tech is helping him out to maintain powertrain warranty even though he is FBO but blaming the Amsoil MTF even if the transmission failure might be because of user abuse.

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag
ok, so he said that the Honda tech is helping him out to maintain powertrain warranty even though he is FBO but blaming the Amsoil MTF even if the transmission failure might be because of user abuse.
Yeah exactly

askro

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CR-V & 2017 Type R-00606
Country flag
Sorry for the necro bump, I broke 4th gear at 31k. I would highly advise changing fluid before 30k lol. Especially if you WOT everyday and everywhere.
Edit: I tweaked timing and boost response on the map stage 1 tune. Broke 4th in a WOT pull around 5500-6k.

FC1TANK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I just did mine yesterday following this post thanks bro. I switched to AMS MTF and it’s a completely different feel

Jins07

First Name
Jinw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic
Country flag
Hello all,

I learned a lot from this community and wanted to do my part to contribute. I recently changed my manual transmission fluid on the 2017 Si. Like with the engine oil, I chose to change it earlier than what is recommended by Honda. I'll list a few reasons why I did this but this post isn't meant to kick the dead horse on the subject.

I want to share a few things I discovered while preparing for the job. There are a few helpful posts on the subject but I found them lacking some details. This is not a step by step guide by any means.

The 2017 Si has a limited slip differential. It is common for LSDs to require an additive packet for their gear oil. The Si has a Helical Limited Slip Differential that is gear based and does not require special friction modifiers or additives. The differential is built into the transmission and they share the same fluid and sump. By changing the manual transmission fluid, you are also servicing the differential. I wanted to change both the differential fluid and MTF and it was only after researching the car did I discover they are one in the same.

The drain and fill bolts are easy enough to find. The level check bolt was missing from the other write-ups on CivicX. Is it necessary to use the level check hole for the process? Probably not. The car requires 1.9 Quarts of Genuine Honda MTF and I doubt the jump to 2.0 would do any harm but my notes on the subject are below:

Drain bolt is easy to find. Round bolt with square socket and a 20 mm crush washer. 32lb/ft

Fill bolt is also easy to find. Directly behind/beneath the air box. It has the same square socket but no crush washer. No need to remove the air box, fill hole can be reached with a ratchet extension and a long funnel. 32lb/ft -Says to use liquid gasket to threads, I did not and no leaks yet-

Level check bolt: Allows excess fluid to drain out of the transmission. This allows the correct amount (1.9 qt) to stay in place during filling-car must be level or darn near. 6 mm crush washer 9lb/ft

Level check bolt Location: While under the car and looking at the transmission drain bolt, start counting the horizontal bolts holding the two sides of the transmission case together. These bolts form a line at the bottom of the transmission going from front to back on the car. Going forward, you should see 3 bolts in a straight line, right before the 4th bolt, there on the corner. There is a little nub of metal there as you round the corner and come to the 5th bolt.

Right next to that 5th bolt is a much smaller, 10 MM bolt head. This is your level check bolt. Here is a link to the crush washer replacement. This also shows a diagram of the transmission and helps with where you should be looking.

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~washer~sealing~6mm~90442-r7g-000.html

Drain bolt crush washer is here: https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~washer~drain~plug~94109-20000.html?Make=Honda&Model=Civic&Year=2017&Submodel=&Filter=(bt=1,11;et=2,8)&Location=mt-clutch-case,3076250,10

Other notes and justification:

I had to go to the local Honda dealership 3 times for the correct washers. I was first given 18 mm crush washers. These do not fit the 20 mm drain bolt so I went back, bolt in hand, for the correct one.

Even after 3 visits I was not able to get the 6 mm crush washer. I ended up using the factory one- it was flawless due to the low torque on the bolt. I prefer to change it out so I did order some from the link above for next time.

Why did you change your MTF fluid at 5,000 miles Tenshi? Bumper sticker answer is 'Fluid is cheap, transmissions are not'. This is an entirely new system, first Si with a turbo and LSD. There is simply not enough data or history (yet) to determine how long this system will last. I made this choice for my personal vehicle and am not suggesting it is the right thing to do.

As with all things internet, I expect that if there is a mistake in here I'll be told about it. I don't mind editing this post if better information becomes available. This is for the fellow DIYers- I hope I saved you some time.

Thank you.
Question for you,

my level check bolt is 17mm, and used 94109-20000 washer, which is 20mm.

did I check the level from wrong spot?

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

OP
OP
Tenshi

Tenshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Question for you,

my level check bolt is 17mm, and used 94109-20000 washer, which is 20mm.

did I check the level from wrong spot?
For the 10th gen (2016-20s) civics, the fill level bolt is small, 10 MM with an even smaller washer on it. I am unsure of the 2020 models but I don't see why it would change that much.

a 17MM Bolt is a big boy, capable of holding big parts together. The Fill Level Bolt just needs to plug a hole, is removed during filling, and replaced once that job is done.

With that said, check to make sure you removed the correct bolt, and see if there is a smaller bolt nearby that better matches what a fill level hole/bolt should do.

Good luck!

Jins07

First Name
Jinw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic
Country flag
For the 10th gen (2016-20s) civics, the fill level bolt is small, 10 MM with an even smaller washer on it. I am unsure of the 2020 models but I don't see why it would change that much.

a 17MM Bolt is a big boy, capable of holding big parts together. The Fill Level Bolt just needs to plug a hole, is removed during filling, and replaced once that job is done.

With that said, check to make sure you removed the correct bolt, and see if there is a smaller bolt nearby that better matches what a fill level hole/bolt should do.

Good luck!
You have a manual transmission right? I found Manual trans use that part the one you used, and CVT is 20mm, I talked the guy working at garage.
and I talked the dealer parts guy, He said their mechanic guys only use 18mm washer!! I was like NO WAY they use only 18mm washer when they change trans fluid.

Jins07

First Name
Jinw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic
Country flag

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
so 18mm for drain plug washer and 20mm for level check washer for CVT...manual has different spec.
I was talking about a manual transmission since this thread is for an Si. Disregard my post.

OP
OP
Tenshi

Tenshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You have a manual transmission right?
Yes my write-up is for the manual transmission. CVTs are a bit different and I would imagine they use larger bolts to drain and fill.
Sponsored