MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Want to follow my journey as I learn how to Track my Type R? I've been putting up my dashcam videos since I started December 2020 and just uploaded my latest ones from last Saturday at Inde Motorsport Ranch.

They are put into play lists by location, AMP was the track I first ran (1 day/ 4 sessions), WildHorse Pass East track the second (days 2 & 3, 7 more sessions), and Inde was the latest (2 days, 6 sessions). I ended up missing the last session on day 3 because I ran out of rubber, got down to the cords on the front left tire. Missed the last 2 sessions of day 5 because I got a flat while going to get lunch and fuel :( No videos for day 5 though as I forgot to put the SD card back in.

Feedback appreciated.
Sponsored

Yomny

First Name
Yomny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
Good stuff man, I'm a novice myself so cant comment too much but certainly appreciate a good track day. Scary to hear often how these tires get worn down to the belts. Keep'm coming .

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Hello,

Fellow novice here. Looks like a fun track!

At 6:42, do you know how fast you were coming up on that corner before you went off?

I think its funny, but my instructor pointed this out to me that when im by myself without any traffic, my line and braking points around the course can get chaotic, but as soon as I get behind someone it cleans up and I feel like thats the case when you were driving behind that group too.

Awesome stuff!

QuasarMotors

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.quasarracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CTR
Country flag
Hello,

Fellow novice here. Looks like a fun track!

At 6:42, do you know how fast you were coming up on that corner before you went off?

I think its funny, but my instructor pointed this out to me that when im by myself without any traffic, my line and braking points around the course can get chaotic, but as soon as I get behind someone it cleans up and I feel like thats the case when you were driving behind that group too.

Awesome stuff!
From my view it is a blind corner and he forgot about the braking point and turn in. Easy to remember if you are tailing someone.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Definitely a blind corner, im sure the braking point is well before the top of that hill. I was just curious how fast most people are going into it.

On another note, I would like to try and get some of that data for videos in the future. Do you have a recommendation Jeff?

QuasarMotors

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.quasarracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CTR
Country flag
Definitely a blind corner, im sure the braking point is well before the top of that hill. I was just curious how fast most people are going into it.

On another note, I would like to try and get some of that data for videos in the future. Do you have a recommendation Jeff?
I wouldn't worry about what peoples speeds are going into it so much as what you are comfortable taking it at. Build up your own speed a little at a time and don't just try and take it at what someone else is.

If you want to overlap video with data there are some good choices out there; Garmin Catalyst or AIM Solo 2 DL w/ SmartyCam. The Garmin is more of a coaching platform with some data while the AIM is all the data but harder to digest and understand as it doesn't tell you what to do to improve. You have to read the data and understand it unlike the Garmin that just tells you to brake later or carry more speed or use a different line.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I wouldn't worry about what peoples speeds are going into it so much as what you are comfortable taking it at. Build up your own speed a little at a time and don't just try and take it at what someone else is.
Im asking purely out of curiosity, nothing else. Im located no where near Arizona, so its not a track I intent to visit at any time.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
The best mod is to hire a coach. You’ll get faster this way than wasting it on any other mod.

If you can record what your hands and feet are doing it would definitely help.

I’m surprised that you didn’t get black flagged for going off. On that note you did well by just driving straight off. Not worth it trying to “save”it. If you see dry brush like that, try to drive off it quickly but safely. I’ve seen cars catch fire that way.

QuasarMotors

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.quasarracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CTR
Country flag
The best mod is to hire a coach. You’ll get faster this way than wasting it on any other mod.

I’m surprised that you didn’t get black flagged for going off. On that note you did well by just driving straight off. Not worth it trying to “save”it. If you see dry brush like that, try to drive off it quickly but safely. I’ve seen cars catch fire that way.
I sadly saw a beautiful S2000 burn down its rear half due stopping on low brush and the exhaust catching it on fire at the last GTA event here in WA. Always best to keep a fire extinguisher in the car.

OP
OP
MadMage

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Yep, blind corner. And braking point is before you crest. So you have to remember that this hill is the one that is the one you have to brake early on. It's also, if I remember, also one that you need to pay attention to the line on. What I was told is you should be headed at the middle casita on the horizon. So I was too focused on that line, and not the braking so often when approaching that turn.

OP
OP
MadMage

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Im asking purely out of curiosity, nothing else. Im located no where near Arizona, so its not a track I intent to visit at any time.
I honestly don't remember and I don't really pay much attention to my speeds. I do remember that my top speed on course (end of straight) was about 117-119mph when running CW and 120-122mph when running CCW. If I take a WAG,I would guess about 60-70 coming up on that hill.

OP
OP
MadMage

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag

I actually went and got a coach. Don't think I was able to get one until session 3, but yes, a coach/experienced driver is imo very important on a new track. I've actually set myself a goal/plan that each time I run a new track or configuration to have an instructor ride along on the first session. I've already planned that for my next track day October 9th.

I've heard that about the hand/feet. Might end up setting up another camera to capture that. But probably not in the near future. I also would like to get a data overlay, but don't have Hondata yet so would only be able to do something with LogR, which I'm not sure is useful for this yet.

I actually have a rear view, which once I reposition the rear camera will see about including. Won't be too instructional, but might be fun to see.

OP
OP
MadMage

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Five more videos posted. All from this past Saturday from Wildhorse Pass west track. (Forgot to put the SD card back in for Sunday). Had a great time on a new track, ran with a friend on Sunday (he was in New Member group Saturday). We gots lots of attention.

Ran at the top of the group with a personal best lap time from both days at 1:09.5 seconds.

Here's session 3;

OP
OP
MadMage

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Haven't posted videos in a while. And have a bunch of raw videos to put together and upload, but here's my most recent one.

Arizona has a new track, the Podium Club at Attesa. A local group of Type R's got an invite to a private track day. Great time, lots and lots of seat time (7 sessions of 20 to 30 minutes each). Staff there is great, track has a nice layout and facilities look to be promising when they all get built out.
Most of the folks had never been on track before, but you will see they all get faster in the later videos (not uploaded yet). Audio is messed up, but let me know what you think of the split view and if you can think of a better format. Most of the TRack Addict data is messed up and I haven' figured out how to do that overlay yet. If I can fix the audio I will update.

Sam3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR
Country flag
May be the audio is echoey because when you overlayed the two videos, they're not 100% sync'ed up and there's a delay (echo) between their sound tracks? If the video editing software isn't doing a good job analyzing and synching them, you can do that manually by looking for a sound marker. Some folks use a honk as marker to simulate a clapper board.
Sponsored