Thinking of a SI

ryan714

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Now that Vit's able to oroduce more power with an SI, I was very close to pulling the trigger on a Focus ST until I saw his post. Can anyone give me input if I made a good decision on walking out the dealership to wait for an SI? It be great if @VitViper could input on this too.
Sponsored

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
Seeing that the Si is capable of that much power just makes me more disappointed in how lazy Honda was with the 2017 Si. (not to mention that stealth change of no single mass flywheel)

I will/am checking everyday in hopes that Honda wakes up and realizes that the Si could be class leading for anything sub 30k new if they just got more aggressive with it. It's why I will always say the 2017 Si was disappointing - not the 10th Gen Si.

Because I'm not going to buy an Si, then throw money at a clutch job, interior trim, and swap to real tires (probably wheels with it). At that point I might as well have bought the TypeR after the ADM hype dies down.

So I'm speaking with my wallet (the voice that actually matters). I will buy a 201_ Si the minute it goes off the truck, hell even at MSRP, if Honda gets off their ass and gives it the Sport Injected treatment it deserves. But I will not buy a 2017. I don't have to buy one of your cars to appreciate your brand reputation Honda. If you want my actual dollar instead of just my appreciation, you have to do a little more to impress me.

Chief 08

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Now that Vit's able to oroduce more power with an SI, I was very close to pulling the trigger on a Focus ST until I saw his post. Can anyone give me input if I made a good decision on walking out the dealership to wait for an SI? It be great if @VitViper could input on this too.
What or who is a vitviper and how is it better than a hondata flashpro?

CivicSi84

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chrysler 200
Country flag
Seeing that the Si is capable of that much power just makes me more disappointed in how lazy Honda was with the 2017 Si. (not to mention that stealth change of no single mass flywheel)

I will/am checking everyday in hopes that Honda wakes up and realizes that the Si could be class leading for anything sub 30k new if they just got more aggressive with it. It's why I will always say the 2017 Si was disappointing - not the 10th Gen Si.

Because I'm not going to buy an Si, then throw money at a clutch job, interior trim, and swap to real tires (probably wheels with it). At that point I might as well have bought the TypeR after the ADM hype dies down.

So I'm speaking with my wallet (the voice that actually matters). I will buy a 201_ Si the minute it goes off the truck, hell even at MSRP, if Honda gets off their ass and gives it the Sport Injected treatment it deserves. But I will not buy a 2017. I don't have to buy one of your cars to appreciate your brand reputation Honda. If you want my actual dollar instead of just my appreciation, you have to do a little more to impress me.
It's faster and more refined than any other Si before it so mission accomplished. It's clear they wanted a gap between it and the CTR so no they aren't going to throw a detuned CTR motor in it with a beefier clutch that would sell North of 28k. If you want a high performance Civic they make the CTR. Your expectations are apparently way to high for a Si, they've always been based upon the EX trim not the EX-L or higher and frankly have always been slow cars that rev to the moon and tossable in the corners. So the new one misses the high revs... It's better in every other way. Just my 2 cents.

Chief 08

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
So you would have to take your car to him to be tuned rather than using a flashpro at home? Not a knock on him at all, just looking at what's more convenient/ realistic

05NBPDC5

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RDX A-Spec SH-AWD
Country flag
So you would have to take your car to him to be tuned rather than using a flashpro at home? Not a knock on him at all, just looking at what's more convenient/ realistic
No, almost all of his tuning is done remotely. With both FlashPro and KTuner, which is the superior tuning solutions with this platform at this point. He is one of the most knowledgeable and well respected tuners you can find anywhere, and works on all types of vehicles as well.

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
It's faster and more refined than any other Si before it so mission accomplished. It's clear they wanted a gap between it and the CTR so no they aren't going to throw a detuned CTR motor in it with a beefier clutch that would sell North of 28k. If you want a high performance Civic they make the CTR. Your expectations are apparently way to high for a Si, they've always been based upon the EX trim not the EX-L or higher and frankly have always been slow cars that rev to the moon and tossable in the corners. So the new one misses the high revs... It's better in every other way. Just my 2 cents.
I never said anything about the Si needing a K series/detuned CTR motor. I said it needed more sporty/aggressive performance. Read my post again.

05NBPDC5

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RDX A-Spec SH-AWD
Country flag
I see, so does he send a custom tune based on your mods etc that you then upload with a flashpro?
Yes, either FlashPro or Ktuner. Ktuner offers more flexibility with tuning on the 10th gen Civics, and I'd recommend it over the FlashPro in this instance.

Chief 08

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Yes, either FlashPro or Ktuner. Ktuner offers more flexibility with tuning on the 10th gen Civics, and I'd recommend it over the FlashPro in this instance.
Got it thanks. I'm basically looking to upload a new tune and go, I don't really need to be making adjustments etc.

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
This 100% depends on your goals for that car. What do you want out of it?

H23civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag

I get what you're saying, but have you test driven a new si? I was pleasantly surprised especially coming from a 9th gen with bolt ons. I feel like it's plenty more aggressive than the previous gens and better overall. I'm sure they could have done better but then the price would have gone up.

OP
OP

ryan714

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
This 100% depends on your goals for that car. What do you want out of it?
I just want a reliable car that I could get more power out of without sacrificing mpg. Something not boring. The interior of the ST isnt as nice as the SI with all of its features such as the blind spot monitoring and CarPlay. Also something that doesnt scream out race me or that it's fast until I get on the pedal. I think the SI sedan would be able to accomplish that. My first modification would be a custon tune with Vit using KTuner to push out a decent amount of power without comprimising the reliability and longevity of the car
Sponsored