Thinking of a SI

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Don't all these car run the same way? I'm just trying to learn, not trying to sharp shoot you.
No, I wish they did, it'd be easier. I have a customer that had me tune his CVT Sedan, then bought a CVT HB as well -- we loaded a copy of his Sedan tune on his HB and it ran different, to the point I looked at a log and told him "man that looks like crap", then had to go back in and alter the way I run the boost on the car as well as retune the MAF curve -- it was even the same intake.
Sponsored

Chief 08

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Interesting, but I could buy a flashpro/Ktuner and upload a tune though, correct? I'm on the fence on buying one but I want to be fully informed.

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Interesting, but I could buy a flashpro/Ktuner and upload a tune though, correct? I'm on the fence on buying one but I want to be fully informed.
Yes, they both come with "canned" tunes you can try/run.

Chief 08

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Have you experienced any clutch issues with the canned tunes? Also how much is a custom tune?

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Have you experienced any clutch issues with the canned tunes? Also how much is a custom tune?
It's really going to depend on the fuel you're using with the canned tunes -- lower quality fuel, even with higher boost levels == less torque, so less likely the clutch will slip. I'm sure if you like flooring it at 2500 rpm in 5th or 6th gear eventually the stock clutch will let go, but so far the canned tunes have kept it below the limits of the factory clutch.

Anyone wanting a custom tune I recommend they get a combo package: http://vittuned.com/combo-offers.html

OsosikMedia

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si 2017 Civic SI x2
Country flag
I have the "canned" Hondata 9+ Psi tune on my Si and have about 400 mile of driving daily with 100+ degree weather and pushing the car to redline etc and still no clutch issues. I have read about potential clutch issues (from Vit and Hondata Software), but I am just sharing my personal experience of street driving (dynos tend to put more load on the cars, especially going back to back runs with no break).

Chief 08

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Good to know, I want to just load up a tune and go. I don't want to have to worry about my clutch or data logging going back and forth with tweaks etc.

GTAHatch

First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic 1.5T Sport Hatch MT
Vehicle Showcase
I must of missed something? If someone wants to buy a FlashPro -- got one on the shelf behind me, in stock ready to go. However you can't tune a MAF curve on the Si w/ it. This is fact, not "bad interactions". There are also a lot of tables "behind the scenes" that you don't know about that aren't available for tuning with Hondata and I have full access to customize as I please with KTuner for my customers. Knowing that, you really think I wouldn't recommend KTuner to someone wanting me to have the ability to customize their tune more? It's also not my responsibility to go point by point and name every table I have and how they work. If you want to see the difference, you can visit me at the shop and I can show in depth details into what is really going on inside these ECU's and how much time I've spent combing through it all to see what makes sense, what's useful and what's not.

I also daily drive our test car at much higher levels than anyone else is running. I've taken the motor through numerous 300wtq+ pulls now during test sessions. I've tested numerous different fuels on the motors now as well with mapping on very aggressive levels just to "see what happens". What kind of "reliability testing" do you want? A 24 hour race with the car detuned to 200tq and 200hp on race gas? Nothing will break at that power level, regardless of software vendor -- that's basically stock power.

But if you really want to get into it. Here's some "behind the scenes".

I sent Hondata a very long, multi-paragraph email on 12/20/2016 with comments on their software as well as a lengthy & detailed feature request on what I'd like to see. I'm not going to post the details of that as private conversations are private. I had something like 10 things I would like to see added ASAP based on my experience with existing D/I platforms (MSP3, FT86, WRX) that are very useful.

When a month went by and I got no useful updates I finally contacted KTuner and figured I'd give his software a try as I was a dealer for KTuner as well. It worked. I then gave him the SAME list of things I wanted to see.

To date Hondata's delivered something like 2 things off my list (fix for the WG ramp BS and the VSA toggle). KTuner has delivered ALMOST EVERY SINGLE ITEM. And I'm testing further tables here shortly that will help complete that list.
@VitViper dont justify yourself to these guys. Half of them including myself don’t even understand/know what you do but they will continue to criticize. You produced an amazing product and for that people should pay. You’ve had amazing success with this platform time and time again. You’ve proved so much including the rich run of BOV’s and yet people still continue to argue and purchase these papper weights. No one should have to stick to a single tool. And that’s exactly what you’re not doing. You have brought it to the attention of Hondata of the tools you need to really make this platform shine with zero response. Ktuner heard you and has responded and is working with you to produce a great product. There is no reason for you to prove your work to anyone cause you already have done that time and time again. You’ve help out not only me but an large amount of people in this community to get their cars where they want them. As a matter of fact I don’t see any other tuner out there relaying any information about our platform. So again fuck some of these keyboard warriors. Keep doing your think man cause fuck you are The VitViper!

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
@VitViper dont justify yourself to these guys. Half of them including myself don’t even understand/know what you do but they will continue to criticize. You produced an amazing product and for that people should pay. You’ve had amazing success with this platform time and time again. You’ve proved so much including the rich run of BOV’s and yet people still continue to argue and purchase these papper weights. No one should have to stick to a single tool. And that’s exactly what you’re not doing. You have brought it to the attention of Hondata of the tools you need to really make this platform shine with zero response. Ktuner heard you and has responded and is working with you to produce a great product. There is no reason for you to prove your work to anyone cause you already have done that time and time again. You’ve help out not only me but an large amount of people in this community to get their cars where they want them. As a matter of fact I don’t see any other tuner out there relaying any information about our platform. So again fuck some of these keyboard warriors. Keep doing your think man cause fuck you are The VitViper!
Honda Civic 10th gen Thinking of a SI image

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura TLX Type-S / 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
:rofl:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I must of missed something? If someone wants to buy a FlashPro -- got one on the shelf behind me, in stock ready to go. However you can't tune a MAF curve on the Si w/ it. This is fact, not "bad interactions". There are also a lot of tables "behind the scenes" that you don't know about that aren't available for tuning with Hondata and I have full access to customize as I please with KTuner for my customers. Knowing that, you really think I wouldn't recommend KTuner to someone wanting me to have the ability to customize their tune more? It's also not my responsibility to go point by point and name every table I have and how they work. If you want to see the difference, you can visit me at the shop and I can show in depth details into what is really going on inside these ECU's and how much time I've spent combing through it all to see what makes sense, what's useful and what's not.

I also daily drive our test car at much higher levels than anyone else is running. I've taken the motor through numerous 300wtq+ pulls now during test sessions. I've tested numerous different fuels on the motors now as well with mapping on very aggressive levels just to "see what happens". What kind of "reliability testing" do you want? A 24 hour race with the car detuned to 200tq and 200hp on race gas? Nothing will break at that power level, regardless of software vendor -- that's basically stock power.

I sent Hondata a very long, multi-paragraph email on 12/20/2016 with comments on their software as well as a lengthy & detailed feature request on what I'd like to see. I'm not going to post the details of that as private conversations are private. I had something like 10 things I would like to see added ASAP based on my experience with existing D/I platforms (MSP3, FT86, WRX) that are very useful.

When a month went by and I got no useful updates I finally contacted KTuner and figured I'd give his software a try as I was a dealer for KTuner as well. It worked. I then gave him the SAME list of things I wanted to see.

To date Hondata's delivered something like 2 things off my list (fix for the WG ramp BS and the VSA toggle). KTuner has delivered ALMOST EVERY SINGLE ITEM. And I'm testing further tables here shortly that will help complete that list.

hahahaha neteng101 getting the smack down

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Thanks for the background info. I think its time we hear from @Hondata - why do you guys deny feature requests by a well known tuner that's brought you plenty of business in the past and helps sell your FlashPros? And allow a competitor's product to be better and more customizable?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic, 2018 Elantra Sport
Country flag
I know this thread has jumped into tuning, but I am considering buying a Si, or either a EX Hatch. I personally would prefer the Si, but unfortunately I have never driven a MT car, but i want to learn. But I have a hour long commute. Eventually, I would get a tune, nothing crazy as I am no racer, and i have a small child in the backseat most times, but how much of a power difference are the cars after a tune? And with a long commute and being a new MT driver, is it even worth risking the clutch? I honestly don't know how easy they are to fix, or price for it.

9civic10

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
Civic is a super easy car to learn to drive stick . Especially with the brake hold feature
Sponsored