Thinking of a SI

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
Sounds like you want the Civic then. The Focus is definitely more "boy racer" styling.
Sponsored

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
I just want a reliable car that I could get more power out of without sacrificing mpg.
You need to prioritize between those three, 'cause you can have them all to the same level. If 'reliable' (long-term) and/or 'mpg' is more important, go with Si. If power, go with ST.

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm at around 500 miles now. Today I let the car hang around 3.5-4.5k and man the turbo feels very good... This car easily passes people on the highways! I don't really feel rev hang, except maybe just from 1 to 2, but then again I am not pushing this car hard at all yet. The handling is so nice and the balance is on point. I love this car and I encourage more people to buy one :thumbsup:

If I want more power, I will just save up and sell this car in 5 years and get a Tesla :D

Rikdrt1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, Honda Civic
Country flag
So whats the difference between vic and KRacer, compared to the hondata tune?

Both price and perf gains.

Im new to this tune topic, but i heard Hondata can do 25+45. (Hp and torqu) improvements...

OP
OP

ryan714

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
So whats the difference between vic and KRacer, compared to the hondata tune?

Both price and perf gains.

Im new to this tune topic, but i heard Hondata can do 25+45. (Hp and torqu) improvements...
Vit is able to work with Hondata too, but KTuner is able to unlock more potential to the car. Hondata has put limits to their tune to protect the transmission, mostly on the CVTs. KTuner on the other hand has unlocked almost everything you can get out of our 1.5Ts. Its just a matter of getting a custom tune or the tunes it already comes with. Vit is able to push the the car to its limits or to a point where the car isnt in a postion where it'll lose its reliability. Its really up to the owner to what they want. We havent had much time with these cars to see how long it'll last with an aggressive tune

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
One advantage for the ST is that Ford warranties the tune offered by Ford Motorsports. It gives the car like 340 lb-ft or something.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Vit is able to push the the car to its limits or to a point where the car isnt in a postion where it'll lose its reliability.
I have my doubts if he's able to truly verify what the limits are - unlike Hondata, he doesn't seem to run the same sort of reliability testing with his work. Also his recent bad interactions with Hondata has me questioning if there's something else behind the scenes we don't know about. If you want max power, Vit/Ktuner seems to be the way to go though, but if you want more reliability I'd look elsewhere for another reputable tuner that works with Hondata instead.

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura TLX Type-S / 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I have my doubts if he's able to truly verify what the limits are - unlike Hondata, he doesn't seem to run the same sort of reliability testing with his work. Also his recent bad interactions with Hondata has me questioning if there's something else behind the scenes we don't know about. If you want max power, Vit/Ktuner seems to be the way to go though, but if you want more reliability I'd look elsewhere for another reputable tuner that works with Hondata instead.
What bad interactions are these?:confused1: I haven't seen anything @VitViper tuning has had a run in with Hondata? Isn't @VitViper a Dealer for Hondata:dunno:. Now as far as tuning, I might have missed it but have there been any reliability issues with tunes @VitViper has performed?:hmm:

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Since when is Vit not a reputable tuner? He's the most highly sought after tuner in the community. As far as the Si goes, go drive one before making a decision.

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
I must of missed something? If someone wants to buy a FlashPro -- got one on the shelf behind me, in stock ready to go. However you can't tune a MAF curve on the Si w/ it. This is fact, not "bad interactions". There are also a lot of tables "behind the scenes" that you don't know about that aren't available for tuning with Hondata and I have full access to customize as I please with KTuner for my customers. Knowing that, you really think I wouldn't recommend KTuner to someone wanting me to have the ability to customize their tune more? It's also not my responsibility to go point by point and name every table I have and how they work. If you want to see the difference, you can visit me at the shop and I can show in depth details into what is really going on inside these ECU's and how much time I've spent combing through it all to see what makes sense, what's useful and what's not.

I also daily drive our test car at much higher levels than anyone else is running. I've taken the motor through numerous 300wtq+ pulls now during test sessions. I've tested numerous different fuels on the motors now as well with mapping on very aggressive levels just to "see what happens". What kind of "reliability testing" do you want? A 24 hour race with the car detuned to 200tq and 200hp on race gas? Nothing will break at that power level, regardless of software vendor -- that's basically stock power.

But if you really want to get into it. Here's some "behind the scenes".

I sent Hondata a very long, multi-paragraph email on 12/20/2016 with comments on their software as well as a lengthy & detailed feature request on what I'd like to see. I'm not going to post the details of that as private conversations are private. I had something like 10 things I would like to see added ASAP based on my experience with existing D/I platforms (MSP3, FT86, WRX) that are very useful.

When a month went by and I got no useful updates I finally contacted KTuner and figured I'd give his software a try as I was a dealer for KTuner as well. It worked. I then gave him the SAME list of things I wanted to see.

To date Hondata's delivered something like 2 things off my list (fix for the WG ramp BS and the VSA toggle). KTuner has delivered ALMOST EVERY SINGLE ITEM. And I'm testing further tables here shortly that will help complete that list.

Last edited:

Chief 08

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
So this K Tuner and flashpro don't already come with tunes on them? I'm a bit confused.

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
So this K Tuner and flashpro don't already come with tunes on them? I'm a bit confused.
No, the devices are blank until you register them with their respective vendor. Then you can either load an included map or get a custom tune.

Chief 08

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
How can you custom tune a car without the car?

Chief 08

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Don't all these car run the same way? I'm just trying to learn, not trying to sharp shoot you.
Sponsored