The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

Old F@rt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, 2016 Z51 Stingray, 2006 Tundra
Country flag
Glad you're sticking around @gtman 🤗.
Might as well give you quick update:

2017 Si Coupe.
Total mileage just passed 44K ( I think you have my initial mileage when I 1st tuned).

Only recent mods:
1:Wunderladen Racing catch can installed at 43,400+/_. Love the mounting location ( coolant tank) vs usual location which conflicts with Flex fuel plate. Quality build & fantastic design.
2: Removed OEM Si catback(again)& replaced with Type R exhaust. Mufflers deleted, but all resonators in place. Could be the "cooler" Florida weather, but LTFTs seem to like new exhaust as much as I do. Hit 0 today on a 80mph run & I never normally drop below -3% LTFT.

All mods if memory serves me:
TSP stage 2 via Ktuner v1. Have a locked Ktuner V2 for looking at real time data. Run E35 or close as poss. RV6 ceramic coated catted DP( now catless as gutted the internals). PRL V2 FP. Type R muffler delete exhaust. Turbo blanket ( forgot brand, but a good one). Eman retro clutch flywheel with stock Type R disc. KZcmc. PRL SS clutch line. Type R hood with Bayson carbon scoop. PRL Cobra intake Race MAF. Injen FMIC. Injen charge pipes. All cold side charge pipes & air intake is DEI ( I think thats the correct brand) gold heat taped. Mobil 5W-30 oil. Amsoil MTF for gearbox. Full Acuity add-ons for shifter & also cable bushings.

I think that's it for engine/ tune related mods. I really don't think suspension/ wheels etc apply.

So I bought the car new & up until Friday, I was the only person to ever wrench on this car. Turns out my welding/ exhaust fab skills suck, so took car to a guy with more talent than myself. Was hoping my neighbour could school me on exhaust welding, but he's away for a month & I got impatient. It all worked out well.

Driving style: I never thrash car, but I do get on it. I believe in rolling in the right pedal vs flooring. Tires will easily spin in 3rd gear ( Mich PS4s)

Future add ons: have the ARP headstud kit ready to go & even grabbed the MAP cover plates, so no Honda bond needed hopefully. Still need to grab a new valve cover gasket before doing the studs.

Love this little car. It's a rocket & also a great DD. Always in map 3 or less common 2. Not sure I've ever used 1
Sponsored

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You can post an update every day. It wouldn't bother me a bit. 🙂

Builtfc1

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Lol seems a little much but summer is approaching so I won’t be driving it every day because ac went out a long time ago… but the occasional night drive isn’t out of the question especially when that built trans goes in.

JonStewK20C2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX K20C2 6MT
Country flag
First Update
This is my second update
Vehicle: 2016 FC2 6MT

Total tuned time: 6 Months

Tuned miles driven: 20,000km (138,000km on the car)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: KTuner 91 Tune with Vtec engagement lowered to 4000 RPM and redline raised to 7000 RPM for the K20C2

Fuel used: Irving 91, Petrocan 91

Additional related mods: Rv6 Catless DP, Driver mod (removed braincells for weight reduction) Fast 17in FC04 wheels and Nankang NS-2R tires

Problems/issues: None to speak of. Always starts on the first or second crank even in -20C weather. Only issue I've had was nothing to do with the engine or trans and all to do with me being impatient when I'm late to work. I.e. I tried to back through a snowbank and damaged the flimsy little aluminum skid plate. Nothing a hammer couldn't fix though.

Driving style: I've tamed down a bit in my driving style since the last post, the gas bill cause of having a lead foot has a lot to do with that. As well as when you age you start to grow out of your silliness and realize there are folks around you that you might not want to piss off too bad. Still 3/4 throttle to WOT at least once a day though, got to have the car stretch it's legs and clear it's throat every now and again.

Tune experience notes: Buying that KTuner and flashing the car was the best thing I ever did to it. I couldn't imagine going back to the stock tune after driving the car now for this long. I've had a blast with it, especially the crackles and pops that sometimes happen with a nice crisp downshift due to the catless DP.

As for future plans, I'm currently making an order with Austin at Wunderladen for a Wavetrac LSD as well as race bushings, catch can, and 26mm RSB. This is all more or less supporting mods for the Redshift coilovers that I will be putting on the car in the spring/summer as well so I can really fly around the corners on track and not have so much body roll that I could slam my doors on the ground.

I also said at one point that I would be posting my Dragy numbers and I promise I will when it's spring and I can get a good launch, plus that little device is buggy as hell and only works half the time so I think I need to contact QC and get a replacement.

Last edited:

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the update--- looking forward to the new setup and Dragy numbers.

sbace_hamb

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7
Country flag
I don't really have a ton of info because I don't have a log atm but just something I noticed when monitoring via TunerView on my drive into work this morning. Occasionally, while idling stationary, my STFT will be sitting up at +25-30, and this can also occur under really light throttle. When stopped, if I blip the throttle, it'll usually settle back down to around +5. About 2 weeks ago, the car threw a Lean CEL but I just cleared it to see if it would come back and it has not. My LTFT slowly crept up to about +7.6 while still in city driving, but everything smoothed out fine once I hit the highway and could stay under load, ending the drive with +3 LTFT. I drive about 12 miles city and then 30 on the highway, and that tends to be the majority of the driving my car gets.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Obviously going to keep an eye on it. Just from my own initial thoughts, it could possibly be injector related, as I am at 126k miles, or possibly related to the LPFP recall for the same reason. I will work on getting a good log this weekend, but I'm not going to ask anyone to review an hour-long log from my drive to work lol.
Realized I never posted an update to this 🤦‍♂️ guess it's time for a new post to get this in there.

Vehicle: 2018 Civic EX-T Hatch CVT

Total tuned time: 4 months

Tuned miles driven: 6,000 miles (123k at time of tuning)

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V1.2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5R

Fuel used: Sam's Club 93/Delta Sonic 93

Additional related mods: None

Problems/issues: Changed CVT fluid personally and had a leaky oil pan replaced under warranty (knew about this when I purchased it). NEW: Had a small vacuum leak that was causing a lean condition under light throttle and occasionally under idle. One of my hose clamps in my vacuum line was loose, tightened it up and now we're all cherry.

Driving style: Quick and confident, definitely not anything crazy but I like to have a little fun getting to speed. <-- Still true. There are a decent number of mid-range sports cars around town that love to take off from a light, so it's been a lot of fun to see just what this car can throw down. NEW: Also a lot more butt dyno experience with the CVT recently has helped a lot with understanding how to make it work with you (shoutout to the Myx two-step)

Tune experience notes: I've got nothing but praise for the guys at Ktuner and for John Vega for his tune. It's smooth, it's refined, and it's powerful when you ask for it. Typically just do my daily driving in Map 1, and pop it into Map 2 if I'm needing to move around the highways a bit more. Map 3 is almost purely reserved for a few fun highway/backroad pulls, and then back to one of the other maps, it gives more than I need for my usual driving habits. At this point my limiting feature is tires, the Conti ProContacts that came on the car just can't take the torque the boost throws down. Will likely move on to the DWS06 once their time is up. Other than that, it's still an absolute joy to drive.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the update. It's something of a rarity...

What I mean is many people do their initial post with just a handful of tuned miles but never add new update post in the thread.

Appreciate the post... it helps.

Montana Miner

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 9 months

Tuned miles driven: 14,250 (car was purchased used, had 24k)

Tuning device(s) used:
Hondata Non-CARB Flashpro

Tunes used: Custom tuning by Dan at E-Tunez. Currently on revision #7 will send datalog for him to do final tweaks in revision #8 for new exhaust.They offer unlimited revisions for ~$300.

Fuel used: Exxon 91, ”May contain up to 10% Ethanol” likely does. Highest available although 91 octane “contains no ethanol” is commonly available, car is tuned for 10% ethanol.

Additional related mods: Skunk 2 catless DP/FP. Injen SRI

NEWLY INSTALLED Remark Touring exhaust. Problem so then 12”straight flow resonator up front. SiriMoto 22mm rear sway bar. SiriMoto front strut bar

Problems/issues:
CLUTCH ISSUE: Now experiencing clutch slip. Occasionally it’s wheel spin, but know when that happens as traction control flashes and cruise kicks off. But now in 6th gear, 65 mph, WOT spins the clutch, unless the road is wet/ice glazed, or sanded, then wheel slip. But mostly clutch slip in 6th gear, sometimes in 5th.

New Remark catback had horribly loud drone from the trunk when paired with the Catless DP. Purchased and welded in a twelve inch straight resonator as far forward as convenient, greatly improved Sound and cabin noise.

Wow What a difference the rear sway bar made. Totally different handling, all for the better. Front strut bar hard to notice any difference.

Driving style: Occasional bursts in town, cruise control highway, WOT throttle passing on 2 lanes, overall just trying to avoid jail. Rally style on winding canyons. Just be ready when you lose the rear.

Tune experience notes: Totally different car. Scary fast, WOT on steep interstate mountain pass in 6th gear is 65 MPH to 95 in a blink of the eye. If you don’t use the new torque and power fuel economy has gone from previous record of 44 MPG to new record of 58 MPG. That’s on the identical 120 mile round trip (albeit in different seasons). Run today was 237 miles, mixed interstate with cruise at 83 mph (below police problem which is +85) and hilly 2-lane with cruise at 73 mph, average pump gallons based was 37.9 MPG. That’s winter cold temps and 4-5k elevation.

Latest oil sample results: note the mileage on oil, that’s when MM said to change it

Fuel Dilution! And that‘s mostly highway driving, although It has been 40 below recently.

Attachments

SleepyFC1

The Minister of Truth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ABM Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Final update, as car was sold in 2022:

Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 4 years

Total tuned mileage: ~40,000

Tunes used: Custom IMW Tune (302 WHP / 287 WTQ)

Fuel used: Quiktrip 93 octane

Additional engine mods: 27won W2 journal bearing turbo, CompetitionClutch Stage 2 clutch with single mass flywheel, PRL Cobra with Race MAF, PRL intercooler with charge pipes, RV6 catted DP and FP

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Moderately aggressive during city driving, cruiser on the highway, good amount of WOT pulls up through 4th gear

First Name
Darius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic FK7
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport

Total tuned time: 2 Months

Total tuned mileage:
~2,000

Tunes used: Phearble 1.5R Non-SI

Fuel used: 91 Octance (Non Exclusive)

Additional engine mods: Borla S-Type Catback, PRL Cobra CAI(Standard Bore), MAPerformance Catted DP+FP,

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Moderately aggressive when driving on highway or low traffic streets, other than that try to keep up that MPG lol

Builtfc1

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 9 months

Tuned miles driven: 14,250 (car was purchased used, had 24k)

Tuning device(s) used:
Hondata Non-CARB Flashpro

Tunes used: Custom tuning by Dan at E-Tunez. Currently on revision #7 will send datalog for him to do final tweaks in revision #8 for new exhaust.They offer unlimited revisions for ~$300.

Fuel used: Exxon 91, ”May contain up to 10% Ethanol” likely does. Highest available although 91 octane “contains no ethanol” is commonly available, car is tuned for 10% ethanol.

Additional related mods: Skunk 2 catless DP/FP. Injen SRI

NEWLY INSTALLED Remark Touring exhaust. Problem so then 12”straight flow resonator up front. SiriMoto 22mm rear sway bar. SiriMoto front strut bar

Problems/issues:
CLUTCH ISSUE: Now experiencing clutch slip. Occasionally it’s wheel spin, but know when that happens as traction control flashes and cruise kicks off. But now in 6th gear, 65 mph, WOT spins the clutch, unless the road is wet/ice glazed, or sanded, then wheel slip. But mostly clutch slip in 6th gear, sometimes in 5th.

New Remark catback had horribly loud drone from the trunk when paired with the Catless DP. Purchased and welded in a twelve inch straight resonator as far forward as convenient, greatly improved Sound and cabin noise.

Wow What a difference the rear sway bar made. Totally different handling, all for the better. Front strut bar hard to notice any difference.

Driving style: Occasional bursts in town, cruise control highway, WOT throttle passing on 2 lanes, overall just trying to avoid jail. Rally style on winding canyons. Just be ready when you lose the rear.

Tune experience notes: Totally different car. Scary fast, WOT on steep interstate mountain pass in 6th gear is 65 MPH to 95 in a blink of the eye. If you don’t use the new torque and power fuel economy has gone from previous record of 44 MPG to new record of 58 MPG. That’s on the identical 120 mile round trip (albeit in different seasons). Run today was 237 miles, mixed interstate with cruise at 83 mph (below police problem which is +85) and hilly 2-lane with cruise at 73 mph, average pump gallons based was 37.9 MPG. That’s winter cold temps and 4-5k elevation.

Latest oil sample results: note the mileage on oil, that’s when MM said to change it

Fuel Dilution! And that‘s mostly highway driving, although It has been 40 below recently.
Wot in 6th gear is a big red flag

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Tunes used: Phearble 1.5R Non-SI

Fuel used: 91 Octance (Non Exclusive)
What does your knock control look like? Ideally you should splash 1-1.5 gallons of E85 per tankful (of 91) to keep k.c. reasonably low on that tune.

Wot in 6th gear is a big red flag
But now in 6th gear, 65 mph, WOT spins the clutch ...

WOT on steep interstate mountain pass in 6th gear is 65 MPH to 95 in a blink of the eye.
Both 5th and 6th are overdrive gears and meant for cruising, fuel economy and light passing, not going wide open throttle. As Builtfc1 said, it's a big no-no. You want to floor it in 6th? Drop down to 4th instead.

Guitar_stitch summed it up very well:
Trying to hard accelerate in those (overdrive) gears is beating hard on your drivetrain including the transmission, rod bearings, main bearings, not to mention starving the engine of oil pressure and creating higher than expected combustion chamber pressures and temperatures.
Definitely not something you should be doing if you want a reliable, trouble-free ownership experience.

Last edited:

BrightFriend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Finally getting around in submitting an official details for you GTMan. Was having too much time giggling like a little school girl testing out the responsiveness to the car now.

Vehicle: 2019 Civic EX-T sedan

Total tuned time: 2 months

Started Tuned miles: ~24,000. The miles difference between now and December is practically nothing. My commute is super short and does not include highway driving.

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2.0

Tunes used: Started with the base map that TSP gives. In the tune package I also got TSP stage 1

Fuel used: Amoco 93 premium

Additional related mods: I guess Ultra Racing strut bar, Motegi Bronze wheels, and Michelin Tires

Problems/issues: Only issue I have is when the idiot behind the wheel gets stuck behind people who want to go under the speed limit she gets irrationally irritated.

Driving style: Trying to be level headed and just enjoy jamming out to music. I do get into fits of annoyance when I get stuck behind idiots that do not know how to drive. I am trying to teach myself not to have a lead foot while driving because now the gas pedal is sensitive. If I need to gun it to turn down the street safely, I will so I get out of the traffic. I know I drive like a jerk but I try to be a safe jerk.

Tune experience notes: Factory tune: Thought it had great response when I first bought the car. But then again it was the first car I bought with my own money and I freakin' love red cars. The more I drove it the more it felt like that it wanted to MOVE but it just lagged instead of moving. Which eventually brought me to tuning it. Base TSP Map: Might have been a placebo effect but I swear I definitely felt a difference. Only drove it for a few days until I tuned it to TSP stage 1. I do not know much about cars so I am not going to pretend that I do. Tuning it makes the car more responsive and it GOES when I want it to move quickly. I feel a lot more safer now knowing that if I need it to move I now know it will not lag on me.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@BrightFriend thanks for adding your car. I just want to be sure you know how the TSP 1 tune works.

Once you flash the tune there are 3 different maps included:

Map 1 has similar boost to stock but is better than factory.

Map 2 has a touch more boost and a livelier feel.

Map 3 is the full on high power map that will throw you in the back of your seat at heavy throttle.

These maps can be switched on the fly using the cruise control buttons (cruise control must be off). Here's a tutorial I wrote a while back on how to do it:

Hold Cancel for two to three seconds ---

The tachometer will change to map switching mode and show the current map you're using:

1,000 rpm represents Map 1
2,000 rpm represents Map 2
3,000 rpm represents Map 3

You can then toggle between the three maps using Resume and Set.

Once you decide which map you want to run, hold Cancel again for two to three seconds to set it.

The tach will then revert back to normal operating mode.

The cool thing is you can do this while stopped or even on the move. Hope this helps.

Side note: Thanks for being a "safe jerk" on the road. That cracked me up!
Sponsored

Last edited: