The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
If you type in "CivicX Injen fuel trims" in a search you'll get a lot of hits.

The gist is this. Injen uses an odd MAF housing size and has this weird inner "whistle tube". Both of these cause issues because the ECU has a hard time keeping up with this intake's inconsistencies. And what happens is, fuel trims wind up being all over the place.
Sponsored

minred

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5T 6MT
Country flag
If you type in "CivicX Injen fuel trims" in a search you'll get a lot of hits.

The gist is this. Injen uses an odd MAF housing size and has this weird inner "whistle tube". Both of these cause issues because the ECU has a hard time keeping up with this intake's inconsistencies. And what happens is, fuel trims wind up being all over the place.
I’m not sure I would personally say my fuel trims are “all over the place”, but on the stock tune, they definitely seem to be running leaner than I would like. Is this pretty much an issue across all cars that run this intake?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Could run lean, rich... just super inconsistent. If you read my first post in this thread I specifically don't recommend them.

minred

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Could run lean, rich... just super inconsistent. If you read my first post in this thread I specifically don't recommend them.
Yeah I was looking for a thread that went over intakes specifically, but didn’t really find exactly what I was looking for. Seems like most people opt for the PRL SRI, so that’s probably what I’ll go with. I personally like the sound of an open filter, and I don’t think a CAI is all that important considering you’re just gonna heat and cool the air again anyway. Probably better to reduce air travel distance to minimize lag I would think.

ssmarcus841z

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic si sedan fc1
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 civic si sedan

Total tuned time: 2 months

Tuned miles driven: 3000

Tuning device(s) used:
Ktuner

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5

Fuel used: Costco, shell 91

Additional related mods: Injen cold air intake, custom catback exhausts

Problems/issues:
None

Driving style: Mainly highway miles going about 75, Baby the car most of the time. few nights out of the month ill use map 2 and make it home a bit earlier

Tune experience notes: Not much to say I have not had the tune for very long, definitely a step up from the base tune and even the base ktuner tunes. Plan in getting an intercooler and calling it a day on the engine mods. Will report back if any failures occur.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What do your fuel trims look like? The Injen intake tends to be hit or miss with them.

Old F@rt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, 2016 Z51 Stingray, 2006 Tundra
Country flag
Yeah I was looking for a thread that went over intakes specifically, but didn’t really find exactly what I was looking for. Seems like most people opt for the PRL SRI, so that’s probably what I’ll go with. I personally like the sound of an open filter, and I don’t think a CAI is all that important considering you’re just gonna heat and cool the air again anyway. Probably better to reduce air travel distance to minimize lag I would think.
Anytime you can get cooler air in, it's a good thing IMO. Yes the turbo is going to heat the air as it compresses it, but if you can start with say 75deg air vs 120deg air using a CAI vs a SRI why not go with the lower intake air temp?

The intercooler can only pull down temps a certain amount, so having the cooler initial intake air allows the intercooler to do it's thing more effeciently. The stock intercooler is pretty awful, when compared to the available aftermarket units, so any help you give it makes a difference. Just my 2ct

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I agree @Old F@rt. To me, all you get with an SRI is sound. And it probably heat soaks more than even the stock airbox at idle. A CAI is the much better choice.

I like Derek's motto ... "don't chase sound".

minred

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Anytime you can get cooler air in, it's a good thing IMO. Yes the turbo is going to heat the air as it compresses it, but if you can start with say 75deg air vs 120deg air using a CAI vs a SRI why not go with the lower intake air temp?

The intercooler can only pull down temps a certain amount, so having the cooler initial intake air allows the intercooler to do it's thing more effeciently. The stock intercooler is pretty awful, when compared to the available aftermarket units, so any help you give it makes a difference. Just my 2ct
Yeah fair enough, probably will look at the 27won CAI. I like the look of the that the best and I feel like the box will do a better job of reducing temps than just sticking the filter further down like the PRL.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@minred ... Now you're talking! :thumbsup:

Although to be honest, you'll have slightly lower temps with the PRL Cobra CAI. Remember, even though the 27Won filter is enclosed, the engine bay gets ragingly hot.

But overall great choice on the 27Won intake. No wonky fuel trims or hydrolock worries. Huge step up from the (no offense meant) garbage Injen. Injen used to be good stuff but sadly that's no longer the case.

Maybe we should pin this: :cool:

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) Screenshot_20231114-085959-493

Last edited:

MegaCrash

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
2023 UPDATE!!! Let’s help gtman & update our posts at least once a year, let’s keep this thread going! Future 10th Gen Civic owners will thank us

Vehicle: 2019 Honda Civic Type R

Total tuned time: 1 year and 2 months

Tuned miles driven: 10,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Race Flashpro

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 2 OTS

Fuel used: Chevron 91 Octane [from California]

Additional related mods: PRL Intercooler, PRL HVI Street, AWE Touring Catback w/ the included front pipe

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: The CTR is my only car - since it’s my daily I don't beat on it, I usually drive passively with the occasional pull every now and then if there’s open road in front of me.

Tune experience notes: Nothing much to add from my previous post, the Phearable Stage 2 tune is still AWESOME! And if you ever have any questions, the tuner, John Vega is just an email away - he is very responsive and extremely helpful.

Added the Mugen kit and TE37s with some 275 width tires since my last update!

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) br2a0715

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_3861

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_4037

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
2023 UPDATE!!!

Let’s help gtman & update our posts at least once a year, let’s keep this thread going!

Future CTR owners will thank us

IMG_3861.jpeg
I really appreciate that. We need more guys like you!

Car looks great btw.

MegaCrash

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I really appreciate that. We need more guys like you!

Car looks great btw.
No problem at all. You’re doing a lot for the 10th gen community just by having this thread and keeping it alive, the least we can do is add our tuned cars and give updates periodically.

& thank you, much appreciated :)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No problem at all. You’re doing a lot for the 10th gen community just by having this thread and keeping it alive, the least we can do is add our tuned cars and give updates periodically.

& thank you, much appreciated :)
Your post is EXACTLY what we need more of. You originally posted when you only had 250 tuned miles driven. And we get a lot of guys who never add a second post. So seeing your additional 10,000 or so problem free miles is a big deal --- it helps. :thumbsup:

MegaCrash

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Your post is EXACTLY what we need more of. You originally posted when you only had 250 tuned miles driven. And we get a lot of guys who never add a second post. So seeing your additional 10,000 or so problem free miles is a big deal --- it helps. :thumbsup:
I plan on providing yearly updates for as long as I own this tuned car! I will do my part for the 10th gen community :cool:
Sponsored