The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

ChampWhiteBoy

First Name
J.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21Fk8, 68firebird, 67vette 427/390, 20’ RS3+more
Country flag
Vehicle: 2021 Civic Type R

Total tuned time: I drove it home from the dealer, 96miles and tuned it

Tuned miles driven: 10,201

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata

Tunes used: Hondata IMW aka Derek Robinson custom E tune, I used a base map for a little bit waiting for a window to open up for him to tune me

Fuel used: Whatever station is the closest and 93 exclusively

Additional related mods: PRL I/C, PRL catted DP, PRL race maf, PRL intake, PRL titanium inlet pipe
Non-Related: if you guys are having a hard time deciding wether or not to upgrade the shifter to an acuity or hybrid short throw, do it. I was on the fence about it because I’ve always like Honda’s trans and oem trans feel in general. I got an acuity, installed it as it came as far as gate and throw, and haven’t touched it or looked back since. Highly recommend.

Problems/issues: Not a single one besides wanting more power, always….

Driving style: Slow and steady for the most part. I open it up getting on the highway, so pulls 3-4-5 sometimes. Weekends I’ll run a few cars at the local meet.

Tune experience notes: Tune has been flawless, I have tuned many, many vehicles. D-Rob was probably the most thorough tuner I’ve had, major improvement over stock. Can’t wait to see what he can do on my MHI stage 2 turbo on flex, waiting on a few back ordered parts but looking forward to it.
The CTR is an incredible car, I have a 2020 rs3 as well and I prefer the civic over it. It’s just more engaging to drive, the seats are better, it’s more practical, my wife can’t drive it because it’s manual 😂, so it’s truly my car and my car only.

8EBC6922-3043-40A0-BFA1-353B174F19C7.jpeg

98B50324-8F68-4624-87CE-7857E32921A2.jpeg
Finally got my MHI stage 2 turbo on with my xdi HPFP/injectors/prl flex fuel kit. Just got my first revision a few days ago from D-Rob. The goal to 500whp is under way! I’ll come back in 5000miles with another update.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 84D9B274-2890-4622-8CFC-23EE1EA7E72E
Sponsored

Edaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Coupe (1.5T)
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Honda Civic Coupe Touring (1.5T CVT)

Tuned miles driven: 300 miles

Total tuned time: 1 week

Tuned device(s) used: Racechip GTS

Tunes used: Racechip GTS provided tuning

Fuel used: 87 and 91 Octane

Addiontal related mods: No others used

Problems/issues: none

Driving style: Economical and occasional aggresive fun time

Tune experience notes: I tested the diffrence between 87 octane and 91 octane very loosely to see if there was engine knock or any power decrease. Even with the racechip on I haven't noticed any engine knock but I have noticed a decrease in power when running 87 instead of 91 octane gas.

20220307_212802.jpg
Tuned miles driven: 7000 miles

Total tuned time: 5 months

Tuned device(s) used: Racechip GTS

Tunes used: Racechip GTS provided tuning, contacted them to increase power and they have since given me the more performant tune.

Fuel used: 91 Octane

Additional related mods: 27Won Cold Air Intake, Mishimoto Intercooler, Type-R Rear Motor Mount.

Problems/issues: Before I installed my intercooler, I noticed that the CVT from about 90-100% of the pedal being pressed down had the same power, but the RPMs rose. It almost seemed like the CVT was either slipping or the engine was throttling hard. Since installing the mishimoto intercooler this weird performance degredation at full throttle and high RPMs has gone away completely, and honestly it scared me. Never before has my car pulled like this, and the thing with the CVT now, is that it just seems like the acceleration keeps increasing the longer you have your foot on the pedal. The sensation of this transmission is weird.

TLDR - Intercooler stopped engine from throttling at high rpm due to immediate heatsoak within seconds of spirited driving.

Driving style: Economical and spirited.

Tune experience notes:

1.) This summer I've been running 91 octane, 87 seems inconsestant and unstable, and exacerbates the dramatic toll heat soak has on performance.

2.) Also if you are tuned, either revert to stock or don't beat your car down in the summer (95+ degree farenheit weather). You'll feel it crying out to you.

3.) Intercooler should honestly be your first upgrade before a tune.

4.) Type R Rear motor mount is a great $80ish upgrade for CVT owners looking to increase throttle response.

Notes: I was driving with my friend who has a 2021 Mazda 3 Sedan. Before I had gotten my intercooler, he'd always beat me in first gear and I'd be able to just inch ahead of him. Now since having my intercooler and Type R rear motor mount, I not only beat him in his first gear, but I completely pull away from him. I suspect the Racechip really is pushing around 230HP and with this intercooler it's been very well complimented.

Everyone's definitions of fast and quick are different. It doesn't take much to thrill me with cars, and with that being said I think my car makes me a little uncomfortable at the top end. I think this is as much power as I want for now, either I'm going to damage something or get hurt. Not that I'm dumb enough to do either of those, I just think I'm the current bottle neck in my car is me LOL. I get to 60 so quick now and anything more would just be too much y'know?

Future plans: ETL CVT Cooler, Conty extreme contacts, Front tower strut, Rear sway bar, Honda Accord end links, lighter rims, Ktuner

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Great update. Thanks for helping the community with all the details.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Current thread stats

Total tuned cars submitted: 1,018
Non-Si 461; Si 432; CTR 94; 2.0 NA 31
Sedan 512; Hatchback 330; Coupe 176

Total tuned miles driven: 16,101,600
Most tuned miles driven: 139,000 (choo)
Cars with over 25,000 tuned miles: 205

Cars with major drivetrain failures: 29 (2.9%)
Failures by model: Si 8; Non-Si 19; 2.0 NA 1; CTR 1
Failures by tune type: Base 9; OTS 7; Custom 13
Percentage of cars running reliably: 97.1%

Transmissions: CVT 349 (34%); Manual 669 (66%)
Base models: 71% CVT; 29% Manual
Upgraded clutches installed: 130 (12%)
CVT failure rate: 2.0% (7)

Hondata used for tuning: 231; Race (205) Carb (26)
KTuner used for tuning: 828; V1.2 (464) V2 (364)
Other devices used: JB4 4; RaceChip 6; Motec 4
Usage rate: KTuner 77%; Hondata 22%; Other 1%

Currently custom tuned cars: 223 (22%)
Currently OTS tuned cars: 492 (48%)
Currently base tuned cars: 303 (30%)

Most popular OTS tune: TSP Stage 1 (388)
Other popular OTS tune: Phearable 1.5 (205)
Newest tunes: Phearable 1.5R (71); TSP 1+ (63)

Most popular fuel used: 93 octane (524; 51%)
Users topping off with E85: 115 (11%)
Flex fuel kits installed: 127 (12%)

No bolt ons added: 288 (29%)
Bolt ons added (not FBO): 527 (51%)
Cars with full bolt ons: 203 (20%)

Cold air intake installed: 443 (43%)
Short ram intake installed: 109 (11%)
Upgraded intercooler installed: 356 (34%)
Aftermarket downpipe installed: 341 (33%)
Aftermarket frontpipe installed: 230 (22%)

Aftermarket exhaust installed: 306 (30%)
Upgraded charge pipes: 125 (12%)
Upgraded RMM installed: 106 (10%)
Upgraded flywheel installed: 60 (6%)

Upgraded CMC installed: 20 (2%)
Catch can installed: 52 (5%)
Oil or trans cooler installed: 22 (2%)
Upgraded radiator installed: 23 (2%)

Upgraded turbo inlet pipe: 112 (11%)
Turbo blanket installed: 23 (2%)
Upgraded turbo installed: 101 (10%)

Cars with fully built engines: 11 (1%)

Hellhound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Touring Sedan CVT

Total tuned time: 1 week

Tuned miles driven: 300 miles (Currently at 13,500 miles)

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V1.2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5R

Fuel used: 91 + 1.5 gallons E85

Additional related mods: None

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Usually calm when commuting for the MPGs, with occasional bursts when everything is warmed up.

Tune experience notes: It is honestly amazing and definitely should have come from the factory like this. I can't even comprehend how it is possible to make the car this smooth and Honda not tuning it so. Phearable is definitely doing some kind of magic. It is smoother throughout with a nice bump in the low-end compared to stock which improves the city driving greatly compared to the lag I felt before. Increased idle also removed the vibration from low RPMs. Also did a pull with an A35 AMG from 50 and surprisingly kept up until about 90 mph.

Also had a quick question, does it matter if you put E85 before or after 91 in order to mix it properly, or will it just mix while driving?

And thanks gtman for the thread, it was really helpful in my decision to tune.

Vehicle: 2020 Civic Touring Sedan CVT

Total tuned time: 5 months

Tuned miles driven: 5800 miles (Sold at 19,000 miles)

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V1.2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5R

Fuel used: 91 + 1.5 gallons E85

Additional related mods: None

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Usually calm when commuting for the MPGs, with occasional bursts when everything is warmed up.

Tune experience notes: Had no problems the whole time I was tuned. Driving it stock to sell after untuning did not do the car justice. Had a great time with the car and appreciate all the help from the forums!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to see you go but really appreciate the update. :thumbsup:

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic sport hatch

Total tuned time: 22 months

Tuned miles driven: 30,000 Total miles driven is 55,000

Tuning device(s) used: Started with ktuner v1.2 then upgraded to v2

Tunes used: TSP provided tune with purchase of ktuner

Fuel used: Costco 92 (Top Tier) or Fredmeyers 92

Additional related mods: PRL Cobra Race intake, J's racing rep grille
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) unnamed
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) unnamed (1)

Problems/issues: Windows are slow as heck, Torque converter is weird, at stop and go traffic(like a freeway traffic jam)when the car is coasting at like 1-10mph and i touch the breaks then left off it does like a weird lunge forward (idk how to explain).

Driving style: Slightly speedy with aggressive bursts from time to time. With the better response and power, merging and avoiding dicey situations in traffic is much improved.

Tune experience notes: Overall the factory tune is mediocre at best. There was some serious lag going from light to heavy throttle. Tuning has definitely reduced the lag by maybe 90% and gives me a completely different (and safer) driving experience. I've never had a mod transform a car like tuning has. My car went from a peppy commuter to a bit.

Last edited:

ChefRyeSi

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan / 04’ CRV EX 5MT
Country flag
I’m not sure where my original post is so I’ll redo it with the current updates:

Car: 2018 Si Sedan

Tuned miles driven: 14k miles

Total tuned time: 1.5 years

Tuned device(s) used:
Ktuner V2

Tunes used: TSP1, TSP1+, DRob Custom (current)

Fuel used: Shell 93

Additional related mods: PRL Cobra Intake RACE MAF, PRL intercooler w/chargepipes, PRL TIP inlet w/PTP Blanket, W1 turbo w/ PRL blanket, PRL DP (catted) and FP, Skunk2 Intake Manifold, Invidia r400 exhaust, Koyorad Radiator, MSD coil packs. ACT organic Clutch,
Hasport RMM. KzCMC. Your usual FBO.

Problems/issues:
I had my EWG go bad. I suspect high temps basically melted the internals so I had to replace that. That was it.

Notes: Amazing platform. Expensive for power but amazing to be honest. After the custom tune from IMW I’m sitting at my perfect goals of 303whp/280tq. He’s the man for a reason, amazing work and the car is just better now in every way

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure how we fix this but we're getting almost no new tuned cars added. There are plenty of newer members posting about their tuned cars, just not in this thread.

There's likely trwo scenarios.

#1 - They don't know this thread exists.

#2 - They look at my first post being 3 years old and don't realize this is an ongoing thread.

Only a handful of new cars added this month.

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm not sure how we fix this but we're getting almost no new tuned cars added. There are plenty of newer members posting about their tuned cars, just not in this thread.

There's likely trwo scenarios.

#1 - They don't know this thread exists.

#2 - They look at my first post being 3 years old and don't realize this is an ongoing thread.

Only a handful of new cars added this month.
Probably the first one, I only saw this thread when you told me to add my car haha

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Probably the first one, I only saw this thread when you told me to add my car haha
Very possible. When I first started the thread, this forum had a "landing page" where the admin posted some of the best topics. The thread got a ton of exposure there and sometimes we'd have 4-5 new tuned cars added a day. I miss that.

I still message people here and there asking them to add their car but little to no luck.

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Very possible. When I first started the thread, this forum had a "landing page" where the admin posted some of the best topics. The thread got a ton of exposure there and sometimes we'd have 4-5 new tuned cars added a day. I miss that.

I still message people here and there asking them to add their car but little to no luck.
Yeah, it's also tough since the next gen is out, but idk how much that would actually forget. I will say when you asked me to do it it did take awhile to find time. So hopefully ppl are in the same boat and they will come around, I mean this is an amazing community and is still very much active haha.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The next gen being out definitely changes things quite a bit. And not just because tuned 10th gen owners are moving on.

We're seeing much less activity on the forum from the pro tuners - KTuner's JR, J. Vega, Doug from Hondata, TSP etc... too.

And I get that there's always the next best thing. But the 10th gen was one of the most important (and popular) Civics of all time so I hope the pros don't totally abandon 10th gen tune development.

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The next gen being out definitely changes things quite a bit. And not just because tuned 10th gen owners are moving on.

We're seeing much less activity on the forum from the pro tuners - KTuner's JR, J. Vega, Doug from Hondata, TSP etc... too.

And I get that there's always the next best thing. But the 10th gen was one of the most important (and popular) Civics of all time so I hope the pros don't totally abandon 10th gen tune development.
I'm curious why do you say most important (and popu.) of all time?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well it was a totally new direction for the Civic. The turbo... the torque. The over the top styling. Look at the sales numbers.

The 9th gen was a bit of a dud. Honda needed a big hit. And they hit a home run if you ask me.

Sure some people hated the look. But most people love this car.
Sponsored