The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The couple times I've flashed back to stock in the >2.5 years the car has been tuned with at least a reflash made the car amazingly sedate and unresponsive. Just stock boost levels with a bunch of enables set to change power delivery if it had been incorporated on the stock tune would have I think made for a lot more excitement and more glowing reviews. They dialed it back so hard to make the car feel linear kind of like the old K24Z7... but with a slug of extra torque in the middle with a little less incentive to rev in the last 1000 RPMs muted the character the car has once let loose a little.
I just tuned a week ago today, and had to flash back to stock for a cvt fluid change on Tuesday. I must agree a million percent.... I was so dissapointed with the car stock after only running the starter 16 map on ktuner for a matter of a few days. I said to myself "welp no going back now"....
Sponsored

Icefiyre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Aegean Blue
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: ~6 Years and some change

Total tuned mileage: ~85,000 Car is at 90,908 miles last updated 4/17/2024

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V2

Tunes used: VitTune Custom Tune

Fuel used: Shell 93 premium, Costco 93

Additional engine mods: Injen CAI

Problems/issues: The usual Injen issues with fuel trims. The custom tune straightened it all out though. Absolutely 0 issues since first post at 50k miles. Standard maintenance schedule followed. Still on original clutch. My drain bolt leaks but it's such a small amount of oil I'm not worried about it. Not even a drop underneath the car.

Driving style: Smooth daily driving 80% of time. Occasional WOT pulls.

Tuning experience notes: First tuned/modded car and it's great. The custom tune has been satisfactory since day one. The boost peaks at 25-26PSI. Still on the stock clutch and I've only had one or two slip incidents. I'm under no illusions the tune will affect my reliability and could one day bomb my engine, but it's been great so far. I'm careful not to put too much load at low RPMs and on higher gears. I drive the car hard on occasion, but with consideration to the mechanical limits because I know I'm putting extra strain on them. There was a slight loss in gas mileage (1-2mpgs), but it varies greatly with my driving style. No changes to this at 90k miles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Always great to see a car with 45,000+ tuned miles doing so well. Thanks for posting up a survey.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
New survey stat. I'm now including the survey submissions by model (engine):

Si (142); 1.5T Non-Si (134); Type R (18); 2.0 NA (12)

I wish we could get more FK8's participating. And the small amount of 2.0NA participants was slightly surprising.

RoB y4h3ll

First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda civic Si sedan, 2016 Honda civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
*UPDATE* 8th time
ORIGINALLY POSTED ON 04/09/2020

Vehicle:

2020 civic Si.

Total Tuned Time:
5.5 months. (First tuned on 04/01/2020)

Total Tuned Mileage:
*Update* 08/15/2020* Odometer reads 24,407k
*Update* 07/18/2020* Odometer reads 22,705k
*Update* 06/22/2020* Odometer reads 19,115k
*Update* 06/01/2020* Odometer reads 16,758k
*Update* 05/28/2020* Odometer reads 16,050k
*Update* 05/14/2020* Odometer reads roughly 14,800k miles.

*Total tuned miles by date:* (MILES SINCE LAST UPDATE) [ 1,702K ]
08/15/2020
11,699K ~miles.
07/18/2020
9,997K ~miles.
06/22/2020
6,407K ~miles.
06/01/2020
4050K ~miles.
05/28/2020
3250K ~miles.
05/14/2020
2,000K ~miles.
05/01/2020
1,500K ~miles.
04/01/2020
400K ~miles.

*Was at 400 miles when I first posted the miles tuned. *

Tuning Device Used:
KTuner V2.

Tunes & Settings Used:
*Update 08/15/2020* [PRIMARY & Current TSP Stage 1 street][Disabled rev-hang][Added settings; ADVANCED VSA CHECKED-ADVANCED VSA SET TO; AGGRESSIVE IGNITION PULLBACK/LIGHT FUEL PULLBACK]

*Update* 07/17/2020 (Tried Phearable stage 1 out again and same results with the 27Won CAI)

*Update* 06/22/2020 ("For 10-20 MILES" I tried Phearable stage 1 out, and had lots of issues. I have determined that the TYPHOON K&N SHORT RAM is the issue, its constantly causing K.control issues due to heat.

*Update 05/14/2020* [PRIMARY & Current TSP Stage 1 street]
[Previous Tune Starter ~ Base/23.5] (Throttle Response 1. 2-STEP SETUP @ 3950k-4000k-No Rev hang)

Fuel Used:
EXXON-93/SHELL-93 ONLY
I will be experimenting with VELARO Soon.

Additional Engine Mods:
*ADDED* 07/17/2020 {27WON COLD AIR INTAKE} *INSTALL DATE - 07/17/2020 (Would buy again, 10/10 on performance, noise, temps, everything! The fact that in the winter, I can remove the plexi shield to add more turbo noise is sweet!
*ADDED* 07/17/2020 *Perrin Rear mount inserts* *Removed* 08/10/2020
*MODIFIED* 06/26/2020 {Modified the Invidia Gemini Cat Back exhaust} Gutted the Resonator/removed baffle & Fiberglass insulator.... they left the insulation wrapped in a plastic bag ... which is why it sounded muffle, and smelt like a hot glue lol...

*ADDED* 06/22/2020 Invidia Gemini Cat Back - Ti Burnt Tips(zero miles driven with the exhaust. That will change tonight lol.)
*ADDED*06/01/2020 K&N Typhoon short ram heat shielded(Hot air intake??)(awesome for noise though!)*Removed* 07/17/2020
Problems/Issues:
*Update* 08/10/2020 Removed the Perrin rear mount inserts due to excessive vibration, and metal knocking noises(I think it was my 3 inch exhaust hitting the body of the car... I DO NOT recommend this mount insert in the summer time where you need your ac running. If you don't care about sounding like your car is about to fall apart, have at it. Not for me!

*Update* 07/17/2020 Phearable stage 1 street still acts up with the 27Won intake....
*Update* 06/22/2020 Phearable Stage 1 street - Issues are due to my (K&N TYPHOON SHORT RAM)
Insane K.CONTROL. I have the 27WON cold air coming in July, this should resolve this issue.
*OLD ISSUES:*
*Update* 05/28/2020 (Same rare issue)Jerky throttle is more related to a limp throttle. Associated with large some knock counts maybe misfire?
*Update 05/14/2020* TSP stage 1 - Rare issue, but it seems to give me some jerky throttle response every so often. Also, i'm running super rich. After 2-3 70mph pulls, my exhaust smells like fireworks. Elevation is at 544. I've noticed that I get a lot more knock counts(like some times in 10 minutes 30+),and an occasional rise in knock control. Usually to 0.52-0.54.
I will start looking for better fuel in town.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) Nice shot from a JOD manager lol whoops

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) Exhaust2

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) Exhaust3

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) Exhaust4

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) Exhaust6

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) Exhaust7

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) Maf housing (Billet)

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) Nice Silicon hoses, & Billet maf housin

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) Showing baffle holes in the 27won CAI box

Attachments

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
New survey stat. I'm now including the survey submissions by model (engine):

Si (142); 1.5T Non-Si (134); Type R (18); 2.0 NA (12)

I wish we could get more FK8's participating. And the small amount of 2.0NA participants was slightly surprising.
Great add-on! Yeah it's bad when there's almost as many 2.0 N/A as 2.0T. I know a lot of the FK8's I know of are stock outside of a few of us that push the boundaries.

Maybe there's a way to have a moderator set up a specific search link of these by motors for this thread, for links and updates by motor? This would be a great feature for those looking at getting into mods and looking for a reliability study of a build they are possibly considering?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Great add-on! Yeah it's bad when there's almost as many 2.0 N/A as 2.0T. I know a lot of the FK8's I know of are stock outside of a few of us that push the boundaries.

Maybe there's a way to have a moderator set up a specific search link of these by motors for this thread, for links and updates by motor? This would be a great feature for those looking at getting into mods and looking for a reliability study of a build they are possibly considering?
It would be a question of just using the "Search this thread" feature and popping in keywords like FK8 or Type R, for example.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) Annotation 2020-08-15 094638

I've tried so hard to get FK8 guys on board. Posted links numerous times on the FK8 sections. Even though I'm CivicX's top poster with the most post likes, they just seem to ignore my posts/requests.

The admin here likes the whole idea of all 10th gens (FK8 included) to be part of this singular resource. It's best for overall 10th gen tuning knowledge for the community to have it all in one place.

I just get the feeling there's a portion of Type R owners that kind of say "We're better and we don't want to mix with you non-Type R lowlifes. Community be damned. Sad, but I think there's some truth to it.

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It would be a question of just using the "Search this thread" feature and popping in keywords like FK8 or Type R, for example.

Annotation 2020-08-15 094638.jpg

I've tried so hard to get FK8 guys on board. Posted links numerous times on the FK8 sections. Even though I'm CivicX's top poster with the most post likes, they just seem to ignore my posts/requests.

The admin here likes the whole idea of all 10th gens (FK8 included) to be part of this singular resource. It's best for overall 10th gen tuning knowledge for the community to have it all in one place.

I just get the feeling there's a portion of Type R owners that kind of say "We're better and we don't want to mix with you non-Type R lowlifes. Community be damned. Sad, but I think there's some truth to it.
I think a lot of people are either A: only able to afford the Type R and bought it instead of beefing up and SI or it's someone who has never had a really fast car and is happy with the stock car. Outside of that I don't see why you wouldn't mod your car (warranty? not many are even really used in the 1st 3 years, and usually if so it's a very early on issue over than the random recalls which you would still qualify for). It's always a night and day experience in personalizing a car to your likes and budget.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Honda Civic FC1 CVT

Total tuned time: about 7 months

Total tuned mileage: 12,000 km

Tuning device(s) used:
KTuner V2

Tunes used: Custom Self Tuned

Fuel used: RON 97 & RON 100

Additional engine mods: Custom CNC Prototype Race MAF with K&N Intake, Full Custom Catless Exhaust with Ti muffler by ProDrager, BC V1 Coilovers, No Name made in China upgraded IC, CVT cooler

Problems/issues:
none that I can think of except the AWESOME support i get from @KTuner

Driving style: Car will be 3 yrs old this coming Sept clocking approx. 27K km's. So far so good, it's a DD but my exhaust can be loud at times. Some spirited driving up the mountains with elevation of approx. 6200' up top. Might hit the track or some auto-x when the conditions permits with current covid situation. Otherwise i just chill & take it slow.

Tuning experience notes:
@KTuner has worked very well for me so far & very happy to get more attention & support from the other part of the world. Layout is well planned & organised. No issues at all but looking forward to get more features & functions to be available. It does what I want.
Small updates to my setup & for the survey :
Mileage is at 28,200 km's now.
Currently testing Hybrid Turbo peak boost at 1.5bar (21.7psi) on a base CVT engine
RED = Stock Turbo was 220 WHP, Hybrid Turbo Before tune on old stock turbo map
BLUE = Current Hybrid Turbo
Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 1597517872003

Here's the link to pics of the 2nd batch of Hybrid Turbo parts that just arrived recently :
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-civic-today-ii.14492/post-863812

It drives great ! No issues so far. Some driving videos on the new hybrid turbo setup.
*it's a hill climb some videos have the elevation gauge & may not be getting targeted boost compared to sea level*
Here's a snippet :

More videos :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMRo8d_QhccVLG-OVmvoN0Q

Last edited:

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The thing is I've direct messaged tons of tuned Type R owners and only a few have responded or posted here.

It just feels like most don't want to be bothered. Maybe I'm wrong but that's the gut feeling I get. On the other hand we have had a few Type R owners happily post here (like you) and it's hugely appreciated by me and the entire community.
-------

One thing that makes posting a survey a bit more fun and useful is people adding pics or even dynos and timeslips if they have them. I mentioned this in my original post but so few people even add pics.

Side note: only the surveys with added media will be featured as Tuned Car of The Week.
does a link to media count ? did not want to make the post too long so i liked them hope it's ok ;)

RoB y4h3ll

First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda civic Si sedan, 2016 Honda civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The couple times I've flashed back to stock in the >2.5 years the car has been tuned with at least a reflash made the car amazingly sedate and unresponsive. Just stock boost levels with a bunch of enables set to change power delivery if it had been incorporated on the stock tune would have I think made for a lot more excitement and more glowing reviews. They dialed it back so hard to make the car feel linear kind of like the old K24Z7... but with a slug of extra torque in the middle with a little less incentive to rev in the last 1000 RPMs muted the character the car has once let loose a little.

Hell, I always cherry lit it in every wot situation lol. It never stopped me from dinging & flashing lololol

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
does a link to media count ? did not want to make the post too long so i liked them hope it's ok ;)
Your update is great. Thanks.

Last edited:

Chuckles4

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
total newbie question: when you all are doing your tunes, are you just buying ktuners, etc. and doing it all yourselves, or are you taking it to a tuning shop?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
99.9% do it themselves when uploading a base tune.
Sponsored