Subwoofer connectivity in the trunk?

athideus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T
Hey guys, I've got EX-T and I was wondering if anyone here has been able to run all the cables from the battery/head unit to the trunk to put an after market subwoofer back there? I've never had a stock radio before and with all the things that this one controls, it doesn't seem like swapping it out is going to be a real option. So another question would be what all do I need to get the sub online and beating? I am willing to do the work myself (I've done it with my old car) I have just never used anything other than a headunit that had the RCA/remote wire easily accessible. I doubt that this headunit even has rca out but I could be wrong.
Sponsored

jmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
A few people have said they somehow tapped into the rear speakers to power a sub. I am not sure if they had an external amp as well but I have been wondering this too. The system needs more low end. I am probably just going to take it somewhere and see what they say.

haztorks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 MSM EX-T
A self-powered sub usually has RCA, but also a speaker wire input that can be run off the rear speakers. You'd need to get power from the battery though, so an amp wiring kit would need to be run to the trunk.

In due time, I'm sure a company will come out with a harness that allows higher quality RCA outputs using the factory HU. I seriously doubt the factory unit has RCA outputs dangling back there, but who knows with the EX though EX-L models that don't have the factory sub. What does that amp connect to, because the head unit looks the same otherwise?

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
but who knows with the EX though EX-L models that don't have the factory sub. What does that amp connect to, because the head unit looks the same otherwise?
They're different. The part number for the Touring's head unit is different than for all the other trims, even the EX-L with Nav. So it might have different connectors than the others (though I'm almost certain it won't be RCA's).

I'd be willing to bet that all trims below Touring will have the same problem that current Accords without factory subs have - the factory radio is going to have a filter that eliminates bass, so to get good sound when adding a sub, you'll also need to buy a DSP that does bass restoration like an AudioControl LC7i

Kaniac348

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
I just installed a whole new stereo in my ext but I left the head unit stock. All you have to buy is a line out converter LOC converter, a speaker wire amp kit, an amp, a subwoofer, a box, and extra speaker wire. You need to wire up the LOC convertor to the back of the decks speaker wire outputs. This converts the speaker output from deck to a more compatible RCA input for amp to run off of. Once you install LOC convertor, connect both RCA cables to the amp (4 channel works best) and from the amp, just run better quality wire for after market speakers. For the sub, I just bought a nice alpine 10 and I bridged it to my amp and the whole system sounds amazing now.

Pioneer TS-W254R 10-Inch Component Subwoofer with 1100 Watts Max Power

Atrend BBox 10 inch sealed sub box

Planet Audio AC1200.4 Channel ANARCHY. Amplifier

PAC LP7-4 L.O.C. PRO Series 4-Channel Line out convertor

Boss Audio KIT2 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit with High Performance RCA Interconnect and Speaker Wire

Infinity Reference 6032si 6.5-Inch, Shallow Mount High Performance 150-Watt Two-Way Loudspeaker (Pair)

matse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
How did you guys route the power wire from the battery? Was it a real pain to do?

Kaniac348

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
It's easy, you have to get under the steering wheel and find the rubber boot surrounding wires already encroaching the firewall. Cut small slice and shove power wire through, then remove the battery under the hood and you will be able to see the other side of runner boot on firewall and cut hole and fetch the power wire.

matse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
And routing the wire back to the trunk was no problem? Debating a DIY install or having an audio shop do it. I'm relatively handy and I'm good with electronics so I'm leaning towards doing it myself.

Kaniac348

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
It's so easy to shove the wires under the floor panels all the way to the trunk, I did it all myself with no instructions for the first time and it turned out perfect, it took me a while but I figured it all out and I'm glad I didn't waste my money at a shoo, I bought my stuff from amazon and it was well worth it. The only part that sucked was wiring the line out converter to the back of the stock deck because there is no diagram for the speakers online, but I figured it out, you can tell which ones are speakers because they are twisted together all the way up to the wire harness. Let me know if you have any more questions. My email is kaniac348ATgmailDOTcom

matse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I have my install kit on order and I'll be attempting to run the wires this weekend. I've been looking at the carpeting along the drivers door and I think I should be able to run it under there fairly easily. I'll also try to document and take pictures of my process

matse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Okay guys, so I've made some progress. I have the power wire ran through the firewall to the battery and started running under the carpet on the drivers side. I got to the area in between the front and back seats where the seatbelt is secured to the car and I can't get the carpet up to get the wire under. Any advice?

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
I'm almost in the same place. I want to finish my BassLink sub install this weekend and intend to use high-level inputs from the rear speakers but when I looked at their connections, I see four wires per speaker.

I'm assuming one set is for the tweeters and the other set is for the mids so I'm not sure which to rap. Even if I were using a LOC, I'd still be wondering which wires to tap.

greg_in_canada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Okay guys, so I've made some progress. I have the power wire ran through the firewall to the battery and started running under the carpet on the drivers side. I got to the area in between the front and back seats where the seatbelt is secured to the car and I can't get the carpet up to get the wire under. Any advice?
For my Basslink I removed the long piece that goes up to the shoulder belt. I could see that the factory harness routed up and through at the top so I did the same with my power wire and remote volume cable.

I have some photos of the final result in my Basslink thread.
Sponsored