How much 12v wire length did you use for a subwoofer/amp install in the trunk?

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag
Asking about Sedan specifically, not sure if it makes that much of a difference. Do you guys know about how much 12v wire length you needed to get your amp hooked up?

I've got 16.5' of 12v wire, including the inline fuse, from my old 9th gen Civic sedan. Is that going to be enough if route through the hood release grommet?
Sponsored

rplush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
What gauge wiring is your current wire? Also is it CCA or OFC cable? It matters for the amount of Amperage the wire can carry especially with that long of a run.

Also don't run it through the hood release hole. There's a rubber grommet that all the cars electronics go through right behind the battery mount. Once you remove the battery, it's easily accessible.

OP
OP
IByrdl

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag
What gauge wiring is your current wire? Also is it CCA or OFC cable? It matters for the amount of Amperage the wire can carry especially with that long of a run.

Also don't run it through the hood release hole. There's a rubber grommet that all the cars electronics go through right behind the battery mount. Once you remove the battery, it's easily accessible.
I've been running 6 gauge for my 500W RMS amp in my 9th gen, but plan to upgrade that to 4 gauge if I want to run more power down the line. It's OFC cable. Do you know about how many feet you used for your install?

rplush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
6 Gauge is on the maximum end of that length if your amp consumes 40A (check what the fuses are)

Honda Civic 10th gen How much 12v wire length did you use for a subwoofer/amp install in the trunk? Gauge-Chart

I run a 4 Gauge for a short 7ft run then split to a 8 Gauge for a couple of micro Audiocontrol amps

OP
OP
IByrdl

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag
6 Gauge is on the maximum end of that length if your amp consumes 40A (check what the fuses are)

Gauge-Chart.jpg

I run a 4 Gauge for a short 7ft run then split to a 8 Gauge for a couple of micro Audiocontrol amps
It has two 30A fuses, it's an Alpine MRV-M500 running @ 2 ohms. Alpine does recommend 4ga but I haven't had any issues with 6ga over the past 6 years.

rplush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
It has two 30A fuses, it's an Alpine MRV-M500 running @ 2 ohms.
Upgrade to a 4 Gauge or even a 0 gauge if you want to add more things in the trunk

OP
OP
IByrdl

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag
Upgrade to a 4 Gauge or even a 0 gauge if you want to add more things in the trunk
I plan to go 4Ga if I upgrade at any point, but am I good with 6ga if it's just got 30A fuses?

rplush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
I plan to go 4Ga if I upgrade at any point, but am I good with 6ga if it's just got 30A fuses?
It has 2x 30A fuses so it sounds like the amp is drawing 60A. What amp do you have? I'll take a look into it

OP
OP
IByrdl

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag
It has 2x 30A fuses so it sounds like the amp is drawing 60A. What amp do you have? I'll take a look into it
Alpine MRV-M500, all I can find is 30A x2 fuses online or in the manual, so does that mean they're in series, so 60A? I did find this in the manual

Honda Civic 10th gen How much 12v wire length did you use for a subwoofer/amp install in the trunk? 1596996231714

OP
OP
IByrdl

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag
Alright, looks like I'll be upgrading to 4 ga and making sure the power wire has a 60A fuse. I just checked and my old 6ga has an 80A fuse. Yikes.
Sponsored