Wiring harness needed to replace Touring subwoofer with a powered sub in the trunk?

DX2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I was just thinking about doing a cheap and easy and quick solution of getting a powered subwoofer (all in one box + sub + amp) and taking the wire harness off existing sub and plugging it into the new subwoofer. Does anyone know the specific harness needed or is it sub-dependent?

Someone in another thread said "Just a word of caution, I talked to a Honda tech at my dealer, and he said a guy who bought a touring model installed an aftermarket sub and amp and he completely screwed up the electronics in the car. It was throwing all kinds of codes."

Has anyone encountered these issues yet?
Sponsored

Nuhi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now: 2016 LX 6MT, 2006 Porsche 911 Former: 2007 Acura TL
Country flag
You would have to run a wire from the battery and a wire for ground. Depending on the sub you get you might also need an ACC wire to tell the sub when to turn on. You could then tap into the rear speakers for input into the sub. This is what i did on my 2007 TL which has a similar audio system to the Touring. There is really no way to just run it off of the existing sub, just use it in supplement to the powered sub or just disconnect it because of the rattling issues.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
As Nuhi said, the wire harness off the existing sub will only provide the music signal - not power for an aftermarket powered sub. You'll need to run new wires for the amp in the powered sub.

For getting the signal from the factory sub output, this wiring harness will plug into the subwoofer plug, so you don't have to cut any wires.

A guy on this forum had some success connecting an aftermarket non-powered sub, so you might want to consider that if you want the quickest and easiest. He said the bass output was better than the factory sub, though I'm sure still not as good as a powered sub would be.
Sponsored