Add a subwoofer without sacrificing trunk space?

spnewera

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Black
As the title states, I want to add a subwoofer to a non-touring model, which does not have the subwoofer.

I tried to go the underseat route by putting a small sub+amp combo under the front passenger seat, but after talking with some car audio installation shops, they said there's not enough clearance to work any wiring through and that the seats are simply too low. To my chagrin, I hung up the phone and thought about alternatives.

Do you guys have any experience or suggestions on how I should go about adding a small sub somewhere in the car that would be inconspicuous? Sometimes I use the 60/40 split to carry bikes/etc, so it'd be nice if I didn't have to get rid of space. However, if there's no other way, I'll probably see what I can do..

Thanks!
Sponsored

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
get a quick disconnect connector for the sub that way you can remove the sub anytime you want

darthy226

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 civic
As the title states, I want to add a subwoofer to a non-touring model, which does not have the subwoofer.

I tried to go the underseat route by putting a small sub+amp combo under the front passenger seat, but after talking with some car audio installation shops, they said there's not enough clearance to work any wiring through and that the seats are simply too low. To my chagrin, I hung up the phone and thought about alternatives.

Do you guys have any experience or suggestions on how I should go about adding a small sub somewhere in the car that would be inconspicuous? Sometimes I use the 60/40 split to carry bikes/etc, so it'd be nice if I didn't have to get rid of space. However, if there's no other way, I'll probably see what I can do..

Thanks!
Any updates? were able to figure out what sub to install? I'm also thinking about using the under seat route using this.
http://www.jbl.com/car-subwoofers/B..._color=Black_EMEA&cgid=car-subwoofers#start=1

Jacobo90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Turbo Plus 1.5L 2016
Any updates? were able to figure out what sub to install? I'm also thinking about using the under seat route using this.
http://www.jbl.com/car-subwoofers/BASSPRO+SL.html?dwvar_BASSPRO SL_color=Black_EMEA&cgid=car-subwoofers#start=1
I am thinking of using the exact same subwoofer, have you checked the dimensions? The problem with car audio installation shops is that they tend to recommend the most expensive option, that would be installing a big subwoofer in your trunk and spending 600-500 dlls on it.

darthy226

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 civic
I havent checked, but its says its only 2 in. tall. I saw them at bestbuy, but i'm not sure i want them to do the install.

Menissalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
If you have a bigger budget you could always do a custom install. Sacrifice just a little space and you could have subs built in to the side walls of the trunk. What I'm planning on is walling off the back of my trunk by about a foot and having subs built in there, something like the picture I've attached.

Both options require custom enclosures and if you can't do it yourself it will be pretty costly.

Since you use the 60/40 I would recommend the first option, it saves the most space without sacrificing any sound quality. If sound quality and power aren't you goal and you just want a little more thump (like what an under the seat sub would offer) you could consider a free air sub mounted to your rear deck like the Tourings have. It's likely that the rear would have to be cut in to for a sub to fit unless the hole is already there, which is possible.

Attachments

Jacobo90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone considered a free air subwoofer? We have plenty of space in the trunk for a free air 8 in subwoofer where the touring model has it, honestly I don't know much about them so I imagine that there is a reason why I've never seen someone using them.
I am guessing it would look a bit like this:
Honda Civic 10th gen Add a subwoofer without sacrificing trunk space? bucks-trunk-after-005-

Menissalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Has anyone considered a free air subwoofer? We have plenty of space in the trunk for a free air 8 in subwoofer where the touring model has it, honestly I don't know much about them so I imagine that there is a reason why I've never seen someone using them.
Look my suggestions just above yours

OP
OP
spnewera

spnewera

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Black
Honda Civic 10th gen Add a subwoofer without sacrificing trunk space? bucks-trunk-after-005-
Yeah, I was wondering about this.. but it sounds like a big job honestly :( also feels like it'd be pretty expensive.

Menissalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Yeah, I was wondering about this.. but it sounds like a big job honestly :( also feels like it'd be pretty expensive.
If you're looking to spend around $300 total then sure, an option like that could seem expensive. It all depends on what you're looking for out of the sub. Do you want power, quality, or just a little more range. Free air and compact solutions are the least expensive and offer the least power and quality but will add some more range to your music.

The best thing you could do is find a car audio shop that has great reviews in your area and just go talk to them and see what they suggest. I go to my local Car Toys but that's just for one install tech they have that always does insane work, plus their labor warranty is hard to beat. I normally buy my parts online to avoid the mark up at retail locations.

Jacobo90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I havent checked, but its says its only 2 in. tall. I saw them at bestbuy, but i'm not sure i want them to do the install.
I've just ordered the JBL BassproSl 8'' , it should arrive to me on monday or tuesday. I will let you know when I install it and show you some pictures of it.

darthy226

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 civic
I've just ordered the JBL BassproSl 8'' , it should arrive to me on monday or tuesday. I will let you know when I install it and show you some pictures of it.
thats great! appreciate the help. I will also be having my car tinted at the shop next week , and I'll have them check the the underseat, see what they can do about installing a sub in there. thanks

Jacobo90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've just installed it and my first impressions where terrible. I was completely disappointed, the sound quality was just awful, but it turns out that the guy that made the installation was a complete idiot (even though I took it to the best place in town). He told me that he had already configured the bass settings, but actually the only thing he had done was to max out every setting. After reading the manual I followed the steps to adjust the bass and after 20-30 minutes of playing with the settings I was very pleased with the sound. I definitely recommend it if you want it as an enrichment to your car's audio, but be ware don't expect a big thumping bass. It just makes the sound nicer giving you more bass and a little thump. For those of you that want a point of comparison I had a civic coupe 2008 that came with a stock subwoofer and I feel that this subwoofer is slightly better, don't expect more than that. If you just want to enhance the stock audio without sacrificing space I think this is your best shot.
If you want more thump maybe you could buy another one and install it on the passenger seat.

As for the space, it fits nicely beneath the seat and it doesn't get in the way of the foot space on the back.
Honda Civic 10th gen Add a subwoofer without sacrificing trunk space? 6819df4d-f01d-4b8c-b6b8-2bc7f3c8010d (1)

Last edited:

Anekin007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Shallow depth subs are a good option as well. Jl audio or cheaper alternative like pioneer makes them. Box depth is about 6" so it's good fit for the back end of the trunk.

Adding a sub at the same location as the touring will require the hole to be cut.
Sponsored