Redraider

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R Sonic Grey
Country flag
I just got my 2021 Type R a few weeks ago and I took it down to a local tuner and had him do 3 pulls. I have made no modifications, everything is stock with the exception of Acuity shifter and bushings. I wanted to get a baseline performance before I added any bolt-ons or tuned with my Hondata. The temp was 65 deg with 90% RH. The tuner had a Dynojet 424. I say all that because I was quite shocked at what I saw. I averaged 333.6 hp and 339.7 lb-ft of torque. This is almost 10% greater than OEM stated numbers.

I'd like to know if anyone else had dyno'd their car stock and got such numbers? I have to question the calibration of the dyno?. I am not sure what ambient temp Honda used on their published power ratings, but I assume it would be at ISO conditions which is 60F. I am not believing the numbers. What are y'alls thoughts?

Honda Civic 10th gen Stock Dyno Pulls 20201128_104742
Sponsored

Last edited:

Truckinturtle

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si sedan
Country flag
I just got my 2021 Type R a few weeks ago and I took it down to a local tuner and had him do 3 pulls. I have made no modifications, everything is stock with the exception of Acuity shifter and bushings. I wanted to get a baseline performance before I added any bolt-ons or tuned with my Hondata. The temp was 65 deg with 90% RH. The tuner had a Dynojet 424. I say all that because I was quite shocked at what I saw. I averaged 333.6 hp and 339.7 lb-ft of torque. This is almost 10% greater than OEM stated numbers.

I'd like to know if anyone else had dyno'd their car stock and got such numbers? I have to question the calibration of the dyno?. I am not sure what ambient temp Honda used on their published power ratings, but I assume it would be at ISO conditions which is 60F. I am not believing the numbers. What are y'alls thoughts?

20201128_104742.jpg
When accounting for driveline loss to the wheels it more like 350 hp ,maybe it's underrated that's awesome hopefully my si is underrated the only other answer would be if that particular dyno has people with high readings

Res0zsfa

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona N, CTR, G35 (sold), 01 s2k, 370z (sold)
Country flag
I know dynojet rates pretty high but not this high. Also curious what others have been getting

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Dynojets measure at the axle right? That would create a higher reading, but that’s still a tad high. Were any corrections done to the dyno run?

OP
OP

Redraider

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R Sonic Grey
Country flag
Dynojets measure at the axle right? That would create a higher reading, but that’s still a tad high. Were any corrections done to the dyno run?
It does measure at the axle. There were no corrections made, it was strictly just 3 pulls. I also realized that the published 306 hp is at the flywheel of the engine and not the axle. Which makes these numbers even more unbelievable.

I'm not complaining but I'm not fully believing the numbers.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
It does measure at the axle. There were no corrections made, it was strictly just 3 pulls. I also realized that the published 306 hp is at the flywheel of the engine and not the axle. Which makes these numbers even more unbelievable.

I'm not complaining but I'm not fully believing the numbers.
Without corrected numbers, you really can't compare to begin with. That said, the Type R might actually be underrated from the factory since there are corrected dyno runs that hit 290-300 at the wheels (accounting for about 320-330 at the crank). Your 330 at the axle is a bit high, but I'd need corrections to get a better comparison.

Azov237

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
302whp on a most stock car.

Ended up at 373who/388wtq if I remember correctly on E30.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I had an experienced racer tell me they estimate 330 with their Butt Dyno for my car. I didn't believe them, but maybe?

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
How is it long term for reliability for the car to run a 93 Octane tune?

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
That seems really high even compared to hub dynos. Would be interested to see what it makes on other dynojets.

The highest I saw was from Hondata and even they admitted that their dyno ran higher than other ones. I understand that dynos vary even amongst dynos of the same type, but those numbers are statistical outliers for sure.

201FK8

First Name
VINZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC TYPE R FK8, CRX SI 87', MAZDA 3 14'
Country flag
295WHP 287WTQ on 92 gas here in WA
DYNOJET FOR MINE on 47F and 41% humidity
I think the "306"hp for US market is not true its closer to the 320hp jap/eu ratings

201FK8

First Name
VINZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC TYPE R FK8, CRX SI 87', MAZDA 3 14'
Country flag
i'll post my graph later

spaghettixsauce

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
All dynos will read different, even ones that are of the same make & model. It's really hard to compare one persons numbers to another unless you were both on the same dyno tbh.

With that said, my car (2018) completely stock dyno'ed at 293/284 on a DSport Magazine's Dynojet 424xLC2 (whatever that means).
This was used with the SAE correction factor.

IIRC, different correction factor settings will yield slightly different numbers as well. (SAE being slightly lower)

I'm no expert. If we wanna keep it simple, only compare your car to other cars that have used the same exact dyno at the same location as you have lol.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I'm no expert. If we wanna keep it simple, only compare your car to other cars that have used the same exact dyno at the same location as you have lol.
To be honest, if you're going to start going down that road, you should probably also add in the same day/hour too. So many factors coming in... That's why a lot of estimates typically give you a range of 10-20 HP, sometimes as high as 30 :p
Sponsored