NST Lightweight Crank Pulley

team3d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic lx
Country flag
Do not run an aftermarket crank pulley without a harmonic balancer. Your bearings will not last as long

that is false information.

inline 4 engine do not have harmonic balancer, we have crank pulley.

Your anecdotal experience is near worthless. The OEM spends 10s of millions each year to put a harmonic damper one engine. Just because you in an opposed motor, low RPM, application (less harmonics) did not fail the engine, does not mean that crank harmonics fail bearings and the more stress the engine is on, and in inline engines, and with steel crank applications (this engine), especially with aluminum block (less harmonic dampening), a silly cheapo pulley will not contribute a quick failure of the bearings. Want to save weight, but a molly flywheel. Only a fool would fit a cheapo pulley on a street driven engine. Put it this way you warranty will be TOAST on any engine issue.. nuff said.

Now if you are talking an expensive billet HARMONIC damper... well it is a 20,000+ thousand dollar car. By all means.
harmonic balancer are mostly found in the crossplane v8

inline 4 engine do not have harmonic balancer.

great video on how factory pulley can fail....

if you google crank pulley fail, all you see is oem pulley split into 2pcs...
Honda Civic 10th gen NST Lightweight Crank Pulley oem pulley fail

here are some examples of factory racing pulley...

Honda Civic 10th gen NST Lightweight Crank Pulley oem racing pulley
Honda Civic 10th gen NST Lightweight Crank Pulley oem pulley gt3

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Myx

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
that is false information.

inline 4 engine do not have harmonic balancer, we have crank pulley.
D,B ,K ,J and F series all have one

Racing pulley vs a street car.. racing engine gets rebuilt more often then a street daily car.

Everyone has their opinion and I was just stating my. Run what you want .I personally don't care since I have a daily driven car. I will run the OEM one

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2001 Integra Type R, 2019 RDX A-Spec
Country flag
The juice is not worth the squeeze for a lightweight, undampened pulley.

team3d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic lx
Country flag
The juice is not worth the squeeze for a lightweight, undampened pulley.

the juice is about 15whp... for people that don't know much about honda engine. most of the late model inline4 honda motor have balance shaft oil pump (fk8 are removed for additional power)

it is a device to reduce vibrations, to reduce vibration on large displacment inline 4 engine, you don't use harmonic damper, you use balance shaft oil pump, in most cases, honda will not install balance shaft oil pump on their high performance engine or engines with small displacement.

the reason 70yrs ago, american cars added harmonic balancer on their engine is because americans can't balance the crank. harmonic balancer/damper is a "band-aid" for a common problem on engine with extremely long crank shaft.

r40 balance shaft oil pump
Honda Civic 10th gen NST Lightweight Crank Pulley balance shaft oil pum

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
the juice is about 15whp... for people that don't know much about honda engine. most of the late model inline4 honda motor have balance shaft oil pump (fk8 are removed for additional power)

it is a device to reduce vibrations, to reduce vibration on large displacment inline 4 engine, you don't use harmonic damper, you use balance shaft oil pump, in most cases, honda will not install balance shaft oil pump on their high performance engine or engines with small displacement.

the reason 70yrs ago, american cars added harmonic balancer on their engine is because americans can't balance the crank. harmonic balancer/damper is a "band-aid" for a common problem on engine with extremely long crank shaft.

balance shaft oil pump.jpg
Well I still disagree that it’s a worthy mod, until I see dyne proof and a data log would be nice to see how good things are running with one on. I myself still wouldn’t put one on. The OEM unit is perfectly fine and doesn’t need to be messed with. You can disagree or agree.

team3d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic lx
Country flag
Well I still disagree that it’s a worthy mod, until I see dyne proof and a data log would be nice to see how good things are running with one on. I myself still wouldn’t put one on. The OEM unit is perfectly fine and doesn’t need to be messed with. You can disagree or agree.
what you wanna put on your car is entirely a personal choice. what i trying to state is fact. our car do not have harmonic balancer/damper. and inline4 engine is internally balanced and in addition, car manufacturer added balance shaft oil pump to further reduce vibrations. it got nothing to do with crank pulley.

here is 2 9th gen civic doing fwy pull last week with almost identical mods, the only difference is the red coupe have pulley, ram air & low temp thermostat.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

balance shaft oil pump.jpg
Wait, you are claiming a lightweight pulley is worth 15 hp on this car?

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I never asked anyone if it was a worthy mod or not. I already know which is why I have it on all of the cars I own. Whether it is worthy or not is a moot point. I simply was asking if anyone had it and what was the weight of it.

I've already ordered it and am waiting for it to arrive. Will weigh it when it gets here and post up. Also will be weighing the stock pulley when I get it and post up. It's what I've done for years on all my cars in all the forums with most of my modifications. In the end, with all the 'silly' mods I've done in the past, all I hear are crickets from the naysayers when I start posting up 1/4 mile times and trap speeds. It never fails. They just seem to go quiet and disappear. :doh:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I never asked anyone if it was a worthy mod or not. I already know which is why I have it on all of the cars I own. Whether it is worthy or not is a moot point. I simply was asking if anyone had it and what was the weight of it.

I've already ordered it and am waiting for it to arrive. Will weigh it when it gets here and post up. Also will be weighing the stock pulley when I get it and post up. It's what I've done for years on all my cars in all the forums with most of my modifications. In the end, with all the 'silly' mods I've done in the past, I hear are crickets from the naysayers when I start posting up 1/4 mile times and trap speeds. It never fails. They just seem to go quiet and disappear. :doh:
so you posted here asking questions because all you really wanted to do was talk crap? There is a reason no one here is posting 1/4 miles times with lightweight pulleys. Our tuners told us it a crap mod and not good for our cars. but do go on.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
so you posted here asking questions because all you really wanted to do was talk crap? There is a reason no one here is posting 1/4 miles times with lightweight pulleys. Our tuners told us it a crap mod and not good for our cars. but do go on.
Sorry, wrong dude. Never one to talk shit. I asked a question. Not sure where you are taking this. You do what you are told. No argument from me.

Doc_C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Not to get off topic, but sounds like you came in here to "armchair quarterback". Stop throwing Hail Mary's as all OP asked for is the weight of the OE pulley.

Reactions: Myx

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not to get off topic, but sounds like you came in here to "armchair quarterback". Stop throwing Hail Mary's as all OP asked for is the weight of the OE pulley.
who are you? you probably should have stayed on topic. and he asked a question, then proceeds to tell us all how great lightweight pulley are. They aren't ask any tuner worth his while and you will see. Im not armchairing anything

Doc_C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
who are you? and he asked a question, then proceeds to tell us all how great lightweight pulley are. They aren't ask any tuner worth his while and you will see. Im not armchairing anything
You're armchairing everything... Have you personally swapped pulleys on numerous cars and dyno tested them? No... you're citing anecdotal evidence. Hence the armchair

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You're armchairing everything... Have you personally swapped pulleys on numerous cars and dyno tested them? No... you're citing anecdotal evidence. Hence the armchair
Armchairing would be knowing the outcome and then coming back and saying X should have done Y. Im saying he shouldnt do it all on this car. Every car is different but ok. When my tuner who is widely considered the go to on 10th gens says no to lightweight pulleys, ill take his word for it.

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura TLX Type-S / 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen NST Lightweight Crank Pulley THISGONBGUD

:catfight:
Sponsored