Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update 11/10/17 **DO NOT PURCHASE THIS PULLEY**

This is just a heads up to those that may be considering this as well as for my own documentation. I had the pulley installed today. However that side of the pulley comes in contact and rubs the timing cover. In other words, it does not fit my vehicle (2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT). I will be contacting the vendor a little later today. Just getting the word out to anyone considering this buy at this time. Will update if any more info comes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Below is my original post.

I contacted NST yesterday to see if they could make me a custom lightweight crank pulley for the 2017 1.5ltr turbo Civic LX. They hooked me up with custom pulleys for my 2015 Honda Fit LX and 2010 Toyota RAV4 V6. I like the quality and reduced weight of both. Neither were underdriven (Not doing this anymore).

Fortunately, they said they had them already available. And NST sent me a link ~~> HERE

Has anyone purchased the NST lightweight crankshaft pulley for their turbo Civic? How much does it weigh vs the stock crank pulley? I've always posted up before and after on the forums. HondaPartsNetwork shows the stock pulley as 4.6lbs. Hoping for the lightweight NST pulley's weight to be just around 1lb. Thanks!

Update: 10/25/17
The pulley arrived today.

Picture of the front of it ~~>
nst-4-jpg.jpg

Picture of the back of it.
nst-2-jpg.jpg

Here is what the NST Pulley weighs. 1lb 1.2oz
nst-1-jpg.jpg

Here is the weight in grams. 488grams
nst-3-jpg.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
never heard of anyone having this yet on their ride...sorry

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do not run an aftermarket crank pulley without a harmonic balancer. Your bearings will not last as long
This comes up in every one of these posts. I have one on all my cars. Actually, my 1996 Subaru Outback sport has had it on since mid 1997. It still runs fine. Raced it a ton and it has an aftermarket Ludespeed turbokit and a 60hp shot of nitrous. Never had an issue out of that car and it's 21yrs later. I was even on Unorthodox Racing's testimonial page way back then. Not saying your experience will be the same but all my cars has lightweight pulleys. My 1989 Subaru XT6 has a ProECM pulley on for the last 8yrs or so. No bearing issues. Ever!

I should have experienced bearing failure after 8yrs. 20yrs.

oldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, Civic Si 2015, Supercharged Challenger
Vehicle Showcase
This comes up in every one of these posts. I have one on all my cars. Actually, my 1996 Subaru Outback sport has had it on since mid 1997. It still runs fine. Raced it a ton and it has an aftermarket Ludespeed turbokit and a 60hp shot of nitrous. Never had an issue out of that car and it's 21yrs later. I was even on Unorthodox Racing's testimonial page way back then. Not saying your experience will be the same but all my cars has lightweight pulleys. My 1989 Subaru XT6 has a ProECM pulley on for the last 8yrs or so. No bearing issues. Ever!

I should have experienced bearing failure after 8yrs. 20yrs.
Your anecdotal experience is near worthless. The OEM spends 10s of millions each year to put a harmonic damper one engine. Just because you in an opposed motor, low RPM, application (less harmonics) did not fail the engine, does not mean that crank harmonics fail bearings and the more stress the engine is on, and in inline engines, and with steel crank applications (this engine), especially with aluminum block (less harmonic dampening), a silly cheapo pulley will not contribute a quick failure of the bearings. Want to save weight, but a molly flywheel. Only a fool would fit a cheapo pulley on a street driven engine. Put it this way you warranty will be TOAST on any engine issue.. nuff said.

Now if you are talking an expensive billet HARMONIC damper... well it is a 20,000+ thousand dollar car. By all means.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your anecdotal experience is near worthless. The OEM spends 10s of millions each year to put a harmonic damper one engine. Just because you in an opposed motor, low RPM, application (less harmonics) did not fail the engine. Only a fool would fit a cheapo pulley on a street driven engine. Put it this way you warranty will be TOAST on any engine issue.. nuff said.
This is worthless as well. I am simply looking for anyone who may have purchased an NST pulley and how much it weighs.

I currently own four different vehicles with lightweight pulleys and have had them on from anywhere from 20yrs to 2yrs. No issues! I haven't even mentioned my previous vehicles that had lightweight pulleys installed. None of them had issues. I will repeat what I have already stated and say that your experience may be different. I am not even recommending anyone do this. I've put in bold what I am asking for.

Calling me a fool wasn't necessary. You have a 2015 supercharged/VitTuned Civic Si. Your warranty would be TOAST as well. This has nothing to do with this thread though. Please keep it on topic. Thanks!

Last edited:

indexcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX (Crystal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Myx Your best bet would be to contact the seller or to buy one yourself since you want to get one anyways. Nothing but haters here so far.

Reactions: Myx

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
I wouldn’t recommend getting the pulley. No point to know the specs of it if you can’t run it on the car. The whole point of this pulley upgrade is to access more power more boost. You can run the car to the ground over time running the pulley. These are reasons why people may give you a hard time, there’s facts on this all over. It’s a waste of money. If you want to get more boost, tune the car for it. The pulley just isn’t safe, it’s a risk factor at this point. But yes, if you must have it for whatever reason, post results. :D

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wouldn’t recommend getting the pulley. No point to know the specs of it if you can’t run it on the car. The whole point of this pulley upgrade is to access more power more boost. You can run the car to the ground over time running the pulley. These are reasons why people may give you a hard time, there’s facts on this all over. It’s a waste of money. If you want to get more boost, tune the car for it. The pulley just isn’t safe, it’s a risk factor at this point. But yes, if you must have it for whatever reason, post results. :D
For what it’s worth, a pulley such as this has no connection to the amount of boost produced. It’s advantage is that it is lightweight. At what cost? We’ll see, I’m sure someone will spring for one.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
For what it’s worth, a pulley such as this has no connection to the amount of boost produced. It’s advantage is that it is lightweight. At what cost? We’ll see, I’m sure someone will spring for one.
Oh I know someone will buy one. :rofl:

oldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, Civic Si 2015, Supercharged Challenger
Vehicle Showcase
This is worthless as well. I am simply looking for anyone who may have purchased an NST pulley and how much it weighs.

I currently own four different vehicles with lightweight pulleys and have had them on from anywhere from 20yrs to 2yrs. No issues! I haven't even mentioned my previous vehicles that had lightweight pulleys installed. None of them had issues. I will repeat what I have already stated and say that your experience may be different. I am not even recommending anyone do this. I've put in bold what I am asking for.

Calling me a fool wasn't necessary. You have a 2015 supercharged/VitTuned Civic Si. Your warranty would be TOAST as well. This has nothing to do with this thread though. Please keep it on topic. Thanks!
I said a fool would do xyandZ never called you a fool. My apologies.

Last edited:

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
AVERAGE WEIGHT COMPARISONS

- OEM Crank Pulley 70 oz | 2 kg
- NST Crank Pulley 14 oz | 400 g

https://www.shopnonstoptuning.com/store/p156/2016_-_2018_Honda_Civic_Crank_Pulley_NST21600_.html

So the stock pulley would weigh about 4.4 lbs (4.6 lbs according to HondaPartsNetwork), and NST aluminum pulley about 0.88 lbs... There's nothing special about the stock elastomer damper pulley (not a harmonic balancer) which is simply a heavy outer ring on a thin rubber band. It can only be ideal in a limited rpm range and under certain loads. Elastomer band deteriorates over time. It can also become unbonded and cause serious damage.

I'm at over 200,000 miles with my underdrive aluminum crankshaft pulley, and it's one of my best mods. Engine feels much less burdened compared to with stock heavy and clumsy pulley. Improved throttle response, mostly at lower rpm's. Shifts are also easier as engine rpm's drop more readily.

Last edited:
Reactions: Myx
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
AVERAGE WEIGHT COMPARISONS

- OEM Crank Pulley 70 oz | 2 kg
- NST Crank Pulley 14 oz | 400 g

https://www.shopnonstoptuning.com/store/p156/2016_-_2018_Honda_Civic_Crank_Pulley_NST21600_.html

So the stock pulley would weigh about 4.4 lbs (4.6 lbs according to HondaPartsNetwork), and NST aluminum pulley about 0.88 lbs... There's nothing special about the stock elastomer damper pulley (not a harmonic balancer) which is simply a heavy outer ring on a thin rubber band. It can only be ideal in a limited rpm range and under certain loads. Elastomer band deteriorates over time. It can also become unbonded and cause serious damage.

I'm at over 200,000 miles with my underdrive aluminum crankshaft pulley, and it's one of my best mods. Engine feels much less burdened compared to with stock heavy and clumsy pulley. Improved throttle response, mostly at lower rpm's. Shifts are also easier as engine rpm's drop more readily.

Invader, I really appreciate this info. It is really helpful as this information is what I was looking for. I will definitely be ordering this up very soon (Maybe today). Just picking up on some key modifications before getting the turbo Civic LX hopefully next month.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The pulley just isn’t safe, it’s a risk factor at this point. But yes, if you must have it for whatever reason, post results. :D
Absolutely! It's what I've done on forums for many many years. I won't post what the pulley does specifically as I don't dyno my cars anymore. Did it so much that it actually was causing some problems in my marriage. I know enough to know how it affects the car's acceleration. Especially from a dead stop, which is what the CVT is lacking. This is one of a few 'tricks' I'll have up my sleeve. I am looking forward to having some kick-arse CVT 1/4 mile times. Will be posting results (Once I pick-up the vehicle of course).

Actually, I've learned quite a bit from toying with my Honda Fit. It's almost running 14 second 1/4 mile times naturally aspirated with a CVT. There are supercharged/turbocharged Fits not running as quick (Faster but not as quick). It has much less hp than the turbo Civic and is naturally aspirated. I'm excited to apply what I've learned to the the turbocharged Civic LX.

Last edited:

MT_FK7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WOP Hatch
Country flag
Never had crank bearing issues but had an aluminum pully break apart far away from home. The hub ripped away from the rest of the pully... the company replaced it at no cost but was a pretty costly tow. This was on my 8th gen. Didn't feel any slower going back to oem pully a either for what it's worth.

Actually also when the pully broke it sheard off half the keyway on the snout of my crank, had to shove a "wedge" of steel in there to help the oem pully stay put. Wasn't an issue normally but I felt like I could never go supercharged because of it.
Sponsored