NST Lightweight Crank Pulley

team3d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic lx
Country flag
Wait, you are claiming a lightweight pulley is worth 15 hp on this car?
underdrive pulley average gains are 10-15whp depends on the size of the engine..

this is why all-motor guys willing to go the extreme distance for power steering delete, electric water pump retrofit & remove balance shaft oil pump & replace it with type-r oil pump for more power...

the less the crankshaft needs to rotate accessories, the more power it frees up... if you understand light weight flywheels free up power ? the other side of the crank shaft is crank pulley.....

"Next the oil pump/balance shaft assembly is modified. The oil pump is driven by the balance shaft drive gears so the gears need to stay in place. The balance shafts eat about 10-12 hp and whip the engine oil into froth, heating it up in the process, not good. They also spin at twice the engine's speed so keeping them from seizing is an issue as well. Balance shafts help counteract an inline 4 cylinder's up and down shaking moment and do not affect the engines reciprocating parts balance at all. Since we don't care about some NVH related vibration, we will remove the balance shafts and enjoy better lubrication, get rid of a failure point and get some more power."

Honda Civic 10th gen NST Lightweight Crank Pulley upload_2017-10-17_16-41-31

Honda Civic 10th gen NST Lightweight Crank Pulley oil pump 1

team3d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic lx
Country flag
I’d love to see a dyno of the 1.5T motor stock with just the pulley, and see that 10-15whp gain.
we don't know how much the gain will be on a 1500cc motor.. that remain to be seen & hopefully mike at NST will provide some details on their 10th gen civic pulley kit info.

here is a tsx with nst pulley dyno results back in 2006, as you can see, the peak gain only 2whp, but from 3500rpm~7000rpm, the whole power band gain is about 6-8whp. it means you are producing more power through out the whole power band.

nst is oem size light weight pulley kit, not underdrive, if it's underdrive, it should produce more power...

Honda Civic 10th gen NST Lightweight Crank Pulley pulley dyno 3

and here is the torque... at you can see with the pulley, 3500rpm the power jump from a 130lbs to 135lbs and it stays at 4-5lbs of torque gain all the way through...

Honda Civic 10th gen NST Lightweight Crank Pulley pulley dyno 4

Reactions: Myx
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Team3d,
I had NST make me a custom NST lightweight pulley for my Fit ~~> HERE
I asked that it not be underdriven, just a lighter weight. I never try to dyno to show anyone differences anymore though. I noticed when I installed lightweight wheels/tired on my RAV4, that were slightly smaller in diameter than stock (Same as a lightweight pulley X4), it showed no gain hp and torque.

However, when I changed my dyno software to show acceleration vs time, you could see a significant difference with the lighter wheel/tire combo. It was as clear as day and I'm not sure why more people do show this when dyno'ing lightweight pulleys and/or tires/wheels. Guess people wouldn't either understand or simply hp and torque sells, not acceleration vs time.

The last time I reported on anything about a the difference between installing a lightweight pulley and stock was on the Toyota forums about my RAV4. ~~> HERE Some of the forum members made jokes, etc when I stated what I expected from the change. When I achieved what was expected, not much said afterwards.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
10/25/17

The pulley arrived today.

Here are a few pics. This is just for informational purposes (Mine actually in case I need somewhere to reference it in the future..hehe).

Picture of the front of it ~~>
Honda Civic 10th gen NST Lightweight Crank Pulley nst-4-

Picture of the back of it.
Honda Civic 10th gen NST Lightweight Crank Pulley nst-2-

Here is what the NST Pulley weighs. 1lb 1.2oz
Honda Civic 10th gen NST Lightweight Crank Pulley nst-1-

Here is the weight in grams. 488grams
Honda Civic 10th gen NST Lightweight Crank Pulley nst-3-

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
10/25/17

The pulley arrived today.

Here are a few pics. This is just for informational purposes (Mine actually in case I need somewhere to reference it in the future..hehe).

Picture of the front of it ~~>
nst-4-jpg.jpg

Picture of the back of it.
nst-2-jpg.jpg

Here is what the NST Pulley weighs. 1lb 1.2oz
nst-1-jpg.jpg

Here is the weight in grams. 488grams
nst-3-jpg.jpg
Your scale is either old and dirty or you forgot to clean all the kief off lol.. :rolleyes::rofl: but in all seriousness, good info, now we just have to get some testing data, I’d like to give this mod the benefit of the doubt, in all my past conclusions, it’s been pointless, I hope it’s the opposite for this platform.

Reactions: Myx
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your scale is either old and dirty or you forgot to clean all the kief off lol.. :rolleyes::rofl: but in all seriousness, good info, now we just have to get some testing data, I’d like to give this mod the benefit of the doubt, in all my past conclusions, it’s been pointless, I hope it’s the opposite for this platform.

It's an old and dirty scale. Hehehe! Don't use this pulley as an example though. Minimal gains with it. It's not underdriven. Just like wheels, if the pulley was smaller in diameter, you get more from that than from just the lightweighted-ness. I wouldn't expect much out of a pulley of the same size as stock but lighter. This is why I can't recommend this mod. I don't ever plan on getting an underdriven unit as I don't want to reduce electrical power to any of my accessories.

That's why this is just for informational purposes though.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
so you posted here asking questions because all you really wanted to do was talk crap? There is a reason no one here is posting 1/4 miles times with lightweight pulleys. Our tuners told us it a crap mod and not good for our cars. but do go on.
Which "tuners" told who this?

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/1690142-post313.html

Put an aftermarket pulley on my old WRX as one of the first round of upgrades and never had an issue. Sold that car to my younger brother. It now has over 170k miles, rotated EFR 7163 turbo 440whp/380wtq, still good compression on all four cylinders. He is working on beating the quarter mile record for stock ej205. Point here being that aftermarket pulleys are not a mod which should be blanket statemented as a bad mod.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i think he don't know what parasitic loss/drag is....
you can tag me, and yeah I know what it is. Holla a @VitViper Also is that how you want to present yourself as a sponsor here? Pretty sure I know who i wont buy from
Sponsored

Last edited: