Lightweight Flywheel for Manual Transmission

too

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag
16 LX Manual (I guess the only manual model for now). Anyone thinks that the shift between 1st and 2nd takes too long (RPM match upshift)? I obviously think so. Who traditionally makes flywheels for civic (Exedy, ACT)? I want to eventually replace it so the RPM drops faster for quicker shifting.
Sponsored

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Not sure I understand, slow shifting means you need a short shifter, no? - not sure how the flywheel is going to help?

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
you dont have to rpm match when up shifting... just shift the damn thing

OP
OP

too

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag
you dont have to rpm match when up shifting... just shift the damn thing
If you want to save a little bit of your clutch and the best acceleration time, you do.

OP
OP

too

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag
Not sure I understand, slow shifting means you need a short shifter, no? - not sure how the flywheel is going to help?
Lightweight flywheel will make the RPM drop (and rev) faster.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
no one makes one yet but you can just take your oem one and get it shaved at a machine shop

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
Try shifting slower. I had this problem with my mazda 3. These cars are meant to be shifted leisurely.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I drove a 100 hp Audi A3 rental once in Germany and the engine revved super fast, like a motorcycle, that made it a lot of fun. Is that due just to a light flywheel or there's more to it than that?

OP
OP

too

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag
Flywheel stores the engine's energy. The heavier the flywheel, the more energy = helps the driveability and the engine won't stall and bog as easy (as the heavier, the more "energy reserve"). This is why circular saw rarely slows down. The down side of heavier flywheel is the engine will rev slower.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
16 LX Manual (I guess the only manual model for now). Anyone thinks that the shift between 1st and 2nd takes too long (RPM match upshift)? I obviously think so. Who traditionally makes flywheels for civic (Exedy, ACT)? I want to eventually replace it so the RPM drops faster for quicker shifting.
The 1-2 shift has been problematic in Honda gearboxes since before the 8th gen Civic, and our boxes aren't much different.

Here's the most cost-effective solution: http://www.civicx.com/threads/review-hybrid-racing-shifter-bushings-for-6mt.5522/

Personally, my shifting has never been better.

Hopefully there will be a billet shifter available soon. The only gripe I still have is with the long front/rear throws.

Reactions: too
OP
OP

too

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag