Knock control crazy

Shazad

Hi guys, so I'm driving around normally like a granny when I noticed my knock control is out of hand like crazy, this thing was at 0.46 for five seconds and then went up all the way to around 0.87 with the same normal driving, I've included the data log of it if anyone wanna let me know what the heck is going on. Thanks
Sponsored

Attachments

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Civii, that's what I told the OP in another similar topic he had.

That datalog was basically useless. Knock control started out in the .7 range and basically stayed there. OP, yes you were granny driving but what about before the datalog started? Had you been driving it a bit harder? Knock control doesn't instantly drop down. It can take some time depending on conditions. But again, this could simply be the case of low quality or low octane gas. Is this on the same Shell 91 you had complained about?

What exact tune and mods are you running?

Last edited:

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag

That datalog was basically useless. Knock control started out in the .7 range and basically stayed there. OP, yes you were granny driving but what about before the datalog started? Had you been driving it a bit harder? Knock control doesn't instantly drop down. It can take some time depending on conditions. But again, this could simply be the case of low quality or low octane gas. Is this on the same Shell 91 you had complained about?

yeah, even if he wasn’t driving hard previously it’ll be the gas and/or the aggressive ignition timing on the tune. Prior to getting a custom tune I had similar issues with spikes in knock control while casual stop and go driving and it was the fuel paired with high timing. I found a better station that allowed more timing and now everything is good.

OP
OP

Shazad

Before the log i was granny driving, I wished I'd log when it was 0.46, I started to log when I saw it shoot up all the way to 0.70 just like that,...full mods are prl cold air intake race maf, prl catted downpipe pipe, prl front mount intercooler, 27won turbo w1 and 27won inlet pipe, currently getting custom tune by pheromones, so after I flash the tune they emailed me the knock control was at 0.59 but after driving about 20 minutes it went down to 0.49 however as I continued driving the knock was all over the place with 0.46 to around 0.89 and this is with normal driving, I park the car thinking next day it'll be ok cause it'll give the new tune some time to calibrated properly, however when I start the car today the knock control started at 0.53 then after 10 minutes driving it went down to 0.49 for about 3 minutes then it started going up and down for about 5 minutes and then it keeps going up all the way to 0.89 and this is with normal driving not once did I go full pedal to metal.

OP
OP

Shazad

Knock control is mainly based on your fuel quality. Try a different gas station or you can lower ignition timing in the tune.
Does lowering ignition timing causes lost of performance?

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Before the log i was granny driving, I wished I'd log when it was 0.46, I started to log when I saw it shoot up all the way to 0.70 just like that,...full mods are prl cold air intake race maf, prl catted downpipe pipe, prl front mount intercooler, 27won turbo w1 and 27won inlet pipe, currently getting custom tune by pheromones, so after I flash the tune they emailed me the knock control was at 0.59 but after driving about 20 minutes it went down to 0.49 however as I continued driving the knock was all over the place with 0.46 to around 0.89 and this is with normal driving, I park the car thinking next day it'll be ok cause it'll give the new tune some time to calibrated properly, however when I start the car today the knock control started at 0.53 then after 10 minutes driving it went down to 0.49 for about 3 minutes then it started going up and down for about 5 minutes and then it keeps going up all the way to 0.89 and this is with normal driving not once did I go full pedal to metal.
Have you sent your tuner logs so they can see the fuel quality? You need less ignition timing or better fuel.

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Does lowering ignition timing causes lost of performance?
Well yeah it does a bit but the tune you’re currently running is pulling timing anyway because of your high knock control. Get better fuel! Go find a new gas station.
Would you rather have aggressive timing (quicker) for a very very short time until your knock control rises and pulls the timing (slower) to protect itself OR would you rather have slightly less timing (slower) and be able to keep it up without knock control spiking?

OP
OP

Shazad

Well yeah it does a bit but the tune you’re currently running is pulling timing anyway because of your high knock control. Get better fuel! Go find a new gas station.
I'll try another gas station for sure, the unfortunate thing is I full the tank all it can take so another 600km until it empty

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I'll try another gas station for sure, the unfortunate thing is I full the tank all it can take so another 600km until it empty
Do some long distance drives. I had a similar issue which required the tuner (DRob) to lower timing a lot and I had to find a different gas station until he was able to increase timing again and finally make knock control happy. Overall, everything has been great.

OP
OP

Shazad

Do some long distance drives. I had a similar issue which required the tuner (DRob) to lower timing a lot and I had to find a different gas station until he was able to increase timing again and finally make knock control happy. Overall, everything has been great.
Hmmm from what I reading so far online...it seems like it is the gas. Thank's

Kitsune9x

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Sounds like some internal damage is starting, I would highly recommend going back to stock tune or throw a rod

websitesdown

First Name
Bee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI , 2023 Civic Sport
Country flag
Hmmm from what I reading so far online...it seems like it is the gas. Thank's

They probably are taking water into their tanks. I'm willing to bet next inspection they get shut down until they replace their tanks. I've said this twice now.
Sponsored