Maxum

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si
Country flag
My 2020 has 3000kms on it and I've noticed the smell you are talking about a couple times. It always has a weird new car smell that almost smells like oil or engine fumes, but its just the materials. I had to go sit in another one and be sure..lol. The burning smell i got once or twice and it was strong, but i wasn't driving it particularly hard at the time. Hasn't been anything to worry about.

The lights for shifting di start at like 4k or 4500 rpms..somewhere around there. That had me wondering also for the first couple days, then i downloaded a manual online that had a lot more info in it than the one that came with the car...was very helpful with a lot of the functions that the manual didn't really explain too well.

Only real issue I've had with mine so far and is still happening, is an annoying noise coming from the rubber CV boots at low speed on sharp turns, like in parking lots. Drives me crazy...almost sounds like brake pads scraping or wheel rubbing, but its the rubber boots.

Gino27

Red Rocket
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 si coupe
Country flag
For the people noticing the smells, check for a little bit of oil on the weird shaped plastic intake tube near the dipstick. Mine had a little puddle there and I'm guessing it came from the pre-delivery checks.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
To the OP's original concern, if you're asking whether you're damaging your car holding the clutch in for four seconds (which is pretty long in real time if you think about it), the only reason why the answer could be "maybe" is because of the weak clutch. But no, it's not an actual problem as long as you're holding it in and not riding halfsies for all four seconds.

If you're asking whether this is the conventional approach and if there is another way around it, there are two to think of:

1) You don't have to depress the clutch pedal the moment you let off the gas to shift. The revs are going to hang for nearly a second anyway. If you'd like to, just let off the gas and hang out for a sec, then go ahead and press it in. Less time wasted on that clutch.

2) The rev hang is one of the three root causes of this (the other two are the dual-mass flywheel and the clutch delay valve). You can remedy the biggest culprit with a KTuner and disable the rev hang. That'll get you halfway to normalcy.

OP
OP

Deleted member

To the OP's original concern, if you're asking whether you're damaging your car holding the clutch in for four seconds (which is pretty long in real time if you think about it), the only reason why the answer could be "maybe" is because of the weak clutch. But no, it's not an actual problem as long as you're holding it in and not riding halfsies for all four seconds.

If you're asking whether this is the conventional approach and if there is another way around it, there are two to think of:

1) You don't have to depress the clutch pedal the moment you let off the gas to shift. The revs are going to hang for nearly a second anyway. If you'd like to, just let off the gas and hang out for a sec, then go ahead and press it in. Less time wasted on that clutch.

2) The rev hang is one of the three root causes of this (the other two are the dual-mass flywheel and the clutch delay valve). You can remedy the biggest culprit with a KTuner and disable the rev hang. That'll get you halfway to normalcy.
Thanks for the great advice! Thankfully, my footwork has come back to me since writing the initial post. I've actually gotten used to and adjusted for the rev hang. In time, I do intend to tune the car, and will prob tune it out.

But, I don't intend to do anything for at least a few thousand miles. Currently at 900.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Thanks for the great advice! Thankfully, my footwork has come back to me since writing the initial post. I've actually gotten used to and adjusted for the rev hang. In time, I do intend to tune the car, and will prob tune that.

But, I don't intend to do anything for at least a few thousand miles. Currently at 900.
Sure thing. I just tuned at 15,500 I believe. I'm only at 17,000 right now. It feels like it's been a long 1,500 miles, but it's improved the drive quality so much.

That being said, I still enable rev hang (hit the cruise control button) when I start out, because low RPM's in low gears lead to the car jumping around if you let off the throttle. I only disable it once I'm going on roads that I intend to go over 30 MPH.