Is this sound normal on start up and shutdown?

bay_hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Recently I've been experiencing this gurgling sound when my car starts / shuts down. It also sometimes happens rolling off of first gear and in between shifts. Is this sound the motor just moving a lot?

Sponsored

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Never had that weird sound on my sport hatch when I start it up or turn it off.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is it the exhaust gurgling or something moving around?

OP
OP
bay_hatch

bay_hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is it the exhaust gurgling or something moving around?
I'm still on the stock exhaust. Originally I thought it was my mishimoto intake rattling inside the box but I switched back to the stock intake. The intake was tightened down and felt snug so I'm not sure what the noise is.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Never heard a 10th gen with that sound. Strange.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Recently I've been experiencing this gurgling sound when my car starts / shuts down. It also sometimes happens rolling off of first gear and in between shifts. Is this sound the motor just moving a lot?

It does seem like the motor is moving, which it shouldn't. Maybe a bad motor mount?

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If it's shaking around try to inspect it while your friend starts and stops it a few times.

OP
OP
bay_hatch

bay_hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It does seem like the motor is moving, which it shouldn't. Maybe a bad motor mount?
Hmm, that's strange that the motor mount would be going out this early. The car is only 7 months old and has 4700 miles.

If it's shaking around try to inspect it while your friend starts and stops it a few times.
Yeah that's what I plan to do and see if its something I missed when reinstalling the intake. If nothing visibly looks wrong, then I might just bring it to the dealer

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
It sounds like a resonance from an intake, and it's particularly common to have such a sound with aftermarket intakes but if you're confident its not that then I'd be looking at loose trims and engine cover etc.

Have someone sit in the driving seat with the handbrake on and gently release the clutch in and out to load the engine but not enough to stall. This will make the engine move around on its mounts a little and you can be under the bonnet listening out to see if you can reproduce the sound and identify where it's coming from.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Hmm, that's strange that the motor mount would be going out this early. The car is only 7 months old and has 4700 miles.
It would be strange, but if you don't know what the issue is you can't rule out anything. Not sure what you need to remove to change the intake, but maybe something loosened up.

OP
OP
bay_hatch

bay_hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It sounds like a resonance from an intake, and it's particularly common to have such a sound with aftermarket intakes but if you're confident its not that then I'd be looking at loose trims and engine cover etc.

Have someone sit in the driving seat with the handbrake on and gently release the clutch in and out to load the engine but not enough to stall. This will make the engine move around on its mounts a little and you can be under the bonnet listening out to see if you can reproduce the sound and identify where it's coming from.
That's what I'm thinking of too. It happens when the car starts up shuts down, rolling off of first gear (but not if i had enough throttle) and between shifts when I let off the gas. Here's a video I also recorded while stopped and slipping the clutch enough to reproduce the sound.

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
That's what I'm thinking of too. It happens when the car starts up shuts down, rolling off of first gear (but not if i had enough throttle) and between shifts when I let off the gas. Here's a video I also recorded while stopped and slipping the clutch enough to reproduce the sound.

In this video it sounds more like something knocking around in there. I'd get my head under there and get someone to load up on it. The problem might be very obvious then. :)

OP
OP
bay_hatch

bay_hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update: I figured it out! It was never the intake that was loose. The suspect was my strut bar touching against one of the vacuum hose. I have a Sirimoto strut bar that stretches over the motor. Everytime the motor moves (boy does it move a lot) on startup or when it’s engaged in gear, the whole thing rubbed and made the noise.

To fix the problem I added a piece of foam tape on the strut bar where the vacuum hose touches.
Honda Civic 10th gen Is this sound normal on start up and shutdown? F3770F00-25E2-4D59-A777-0594FF3D1C16
Sponsored