I went toe to toe with an sti earlier today on the highway, guess who won..

Yonder

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP
OP
BoostedSiCoupe

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag

Yonder

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I bought my Si last year, my 14 year old son thought it was totally cool, my wife, daughter and family thought I "may" have been having a midlife crisis. If I had bought the CTR, for sure they would have thought I was having a midlife crisis (I'm 51)
I tease my pops with the same "mid life crisis" comment lolol I just want him to get it so i can go over and drive that thing! Another 4 years and you can create a reason to get the CTR by giving your boy the SI lol

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
lol those lovely germans need to focus less on poop eating and more on research and design.
I can't comment on the poop eating part, but they do need to add the word reliability in their vocabulary when it comes to engineering

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I tease my pops with the same "mid life crisis" comment lolol I just want him to get it so i can go over and drive that thing! Another 4 years and you can create a reason to get the CTR by giving your boy the SI lol
LOL that's awesome! Yeah I will probably buy a used CTR in maybe 10 years as an old man weekend car! LOL

ajsti24

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 STi Type RA, 2017 MB-AMG GLC43, 2019 Giulia
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I own an STi, driving, power and handling comapared to my civic is totally different. But both are fun cars to drive.

Apone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2015 Lexus RC-F
Country flag
I owned a 2005 STi for a few years. This was over a decade ago though so my memory is pretty foggy. Looking back on it now...and unfairly comparing it to modern vehicles: the ride quality sucked, the fuel economy sucked, and the merely adequate handling was made up for by insane grip.

Its party trick was how easy it was to drive inappropriately fast thanks to the symmetrical AWD and factory Bridgestone Potenzas RE070s. 300hp also meant a lot more back then than it does now. Corner exit speeds were brutal and the boxer rumble was a bit more "unique" back then.

All in all, it was a fun car to check off my list but never something that I'd revisit, especially now that I'm older. The fact that the STi hasn't really "grown up" with me is another reason for that - it seems like it's still essentially the same formula as in 2005, thus completely unappealing. The Si with its more subtle injection of "sportiness" is closer to what works for me...mainly because I don't feel like I'm sacrificing much of anything for the fun I'm getting.
I agree with everything stated here.

YankeeSi

First Name
jerad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 si sedan
Country flag
I can't comment on the poop eating part, but they do need to add the word reliability in their vocabulary when it comes to engineering
I can comment on the three vw's i've owned... first was a 500$ mk2 gti beater... lasted 3 years until the clutch cable snapped, fun little car. Next was a mk6 gti with fbo and stage 2 unitronic never had a single issue and was a lot of fun for a daily. Came back from a deployment with saved money sold the car and bought the mk6 golf r and went fbo with gtx2867 turbo stage 3 apr, and that car till this day was the most fun car i've owned. Never had a single issue with the mk6's, did all my own maintenance religiously but never had the electrical gremlins i keep hearing about. I won't argue the horror stories i've read about but i've had good experiences from the ones i've owned. Now the mk7 gti/golf r are straight up under rated, when you mod them they shine and with all my buddies that still own them i have yet to hear reliability gripes that are more than what i've seen with this gen civic. Plus 60% of the world's fastest cars are made by vw/vw owned companies( richard hammond said it on grand tour haha)...but with speed comes a hefty price maintenance wise which is why i chose to come back to honda.

YankeeSi

First Name
jerad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 si sedan
Country flag
Also back on topic, fbo si with a clutch upgrade and e85 stage 2 and good tires from a roll and you'll be just fine.

vandy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
do you ever regret getting the si over the sti?
My answer would be if I was still single and no baby...WRX. Or even the STI without the wing/spoiler. IMO it’s just the more fun car to drive. I think a lot of guys have said it: it’s fast and the AWD bails you out. But, my wife hated the drone of the STI catback exhaust and the suspension. She loves my Si. And I do too. The WRX feels like it’s being unleashed when you drive it. Also, I went out on a limb and bought the CVT Limited. I felt like the CVT really managed the power delivery and I could pass whenever I felt like it. The Si feels more sophisticated and subtle. That being said, I’m going to Ktune it eventually and from the sounds of it, that’ll give me the punch I miss. I just don’t think it’s an apples to apples comparison at the end of the day. Two very different cars. But shit, what do I know?

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I love the look and performance of the STI , in fact I test drove a 2018 STI and a WRX before I bought my 2018 Si. I like the look of both the Subaru’s and they both are great cars, the problem I had with the STI it isn’t a comfortable car at all, it’s noisy, and it’s $40K, no thanks. The WRX however was a nice car at about $27K, more of an everyday driver, not as uncomfortable or noisy as the STI. I test drove the Si not too long after and I was convinced immediately the Si was my choice, no doubt. I have a Hayabusa that I can smoke STIs with if the need arises lol.

Yal

New to the brand
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
if you want to play with subarus in an si then play with brz.. you can walk away casually from them and their drivers always seem to think they will win.
BRZ is a smooth handling momentum car. It's not a straight line car, but it's a blast in the twisties when you have the rpms up.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
German cars are a hit or miss, some models can last you a really long time and some just are piles of crap. I can honestly say from my other 2 cars being German that they're not as bad as people make them out to be, they just cost more to maintain. My '13 ML350 has almost 80,000 miles on the clock with nothing but regularly scheduled maintenance done and a $250 check engine light 10K miles ago for a TCM fix, the car is also built like an absolute tank which is the kind of build quality I don't see in other cars. I also have a BMW M550i right now too so I can't comment on that because it's too new, but my previous 550i also treated me the same, just maintained the car meticulously and all was good. I think the biggest misconception is that people often buy $50K+ German cars and expect it to cost as much to maintain as a Civic, well news flash, it doesn't. But these days, most German cars only require maintenance every 10K miles, so it's actually not that bad anyway, you just gotta take the bullet on the maintenance expense, but so far it hasn't done me wrong.

As far as the STI vs. Si stuff goes though, most people have already said what I would have said anyway, but i'll agree on the part where someone said the CTR is ugly as fuck. I get trying to style a car aggressively, but the CTR just way too overstyled IMO. Not to mention that at that price point, I'd rather have something like a 460 HP mustang GT that's RWD and sounds like a bat out of hell.
Sponsored