I went toe to toe with an sti earlier today on the highway, guess who won..

Chief lazy leaf

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic SI, 2001 mr2 spyder, 1982 Toyota coroll
Country flag

Hope that link works. So rwd/awd are generally faster cars. Also driver mod>performance mod. Mustang GT and STI at the track this past weekend. 2018 SI coupe. On enkie 18x9 rpf01 and 255/35 federal rsrr tires. swift springs. No other mods. I out run frs/BRZ, have video of that too. love your Si more guys. Haha

Honda Civic 10th gen I went toe to toe with an sti earlier today on the highway, guess who won.. 20190504_134803
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Quick question; how often do you rotate the Civics Goodyear summers? I’m unsure what the norm rotation period is for summers as opposed to A/S. To possibly get 30k miles is a great result!
Honestly, I ignored the MM call to rotate on the last oil change. It's not powertrain related and I've never pursued the mileage warranty on a tire so I just don't put a lot into any hard-set rotation periodicity. I also never buy extra rotation plans or road hazard stuff... so I don't need to hold to a schedule to protect coverage. What I generally do is have a lifetime alignment plan on all my vehicles I plan to keep more than 3 years and get an alignment done annually. I get a rotation done at that time... usually as part of some rotation + inspection coupon that overall costs $10-$20 bucks to get the rotation done and a look at the vehicle to back me up, since I do any other maintenance myself. When I get the car back, I double check the torque on the lug nuts since they usually never get it right and that's what I've been led to believe is the cause for uneven rotor wear that's pretty well indistinguishable from warpage. Now I don't do things that cause a lot of burnouts, so this works for me. It might make sense for some to do it more often... especially for someone who does more mileage or drives more aggressively.

Otherwise, for me... I just keep inflation right. I'm between 14-15k miles at 18 months of ownership. Fully 1k was probably just to go to Wake the Dragon and back, along with the driving while we were there. A little wear up front, eyeballin' I'd say 50-75% tread... 75%+ in the back. I may very well only do 1 rotation total on the Civic, depending on how they look next year. I tend to replace even if there's more than 2/32s left if tires start underperforming and getting loud. I certainly won't stick near worn tires on the back to wear the last little bit on the fronts and a DD and risk a car that'll snap oversteer in the wet.

Again, maybe not the best thing in the world... it's just what I do. Even for all-season tires, I usually go after tires that compromise mileage for wet/dry traction and comfort and never get low rolling resistance tires because I'm a fan of rolling resistance when I need it (cornering/braking)... so I'm not trying to touch 80k miles or something. Hell... it'd take me nearly a decade to reach those number of miles and, by then, I'd be worried the tires would be dry rotting by then anyways. About 25k for decently performing but not high end summers and 50k for all seasons seems good enough to me.

I did buy a set of higher end summer tires I only got about 10k miles and less than a year of time on when I was 18-19 years old (and broke) on an old Z I had back then and decided that, in fact, there are some tires that are too good, and overly compromise life to give performance to you, for what I needed. Those were some *outstanding* tires though. I could take corners so fast, you could damn near feel your kidneys bouncing off each other.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Honestly, I ignored the MM call to rotate on the last oil change. It's not powertrain related and I've never pursued the mileage warranty on a tire so I just don't put a lot into any hard-set rotation periodicity. I also never buy extra rotation plans or road hazard stuff... so I don't need to hold to a schedule to protect coverage. What I generally do is have a lifetime alignment plan on all my vehicles I plan to keep more than 3 years and get an alignment done annually. I get a rotation done at that time... usually as part of some rotation + inspection coupon that overall costs $10-$20 bucks to get the rotation done and a look at the vehicle to back me up, since I do any other maintenance myself. When I get the car back, I double check the torque on the lug nuts since they usually never get it right and that's what I've been led to believe is the cause for uneven rotor wear that's pretty well indistinguishable from warpage. Now I don't do things that cause a lot of burnouts, so this works for me. It might make sense for some to do it more often... especially for someone who does more mileage or drives more aggressively.

Otherwise, for me... I just keep inflation right. I'm between 14-15k miles at 18 months of ownership. Fully 1k was probably just to go to Wake the Dragon and back, along with the driving while we were there. A little wear up front, eyeballin' I'd say 50-75% tread... 75%+ in the back. I may very well only do 1 rotation total on the Civic, depending on how they look next year. I tend to replace even if there's more than 2/32s left if tires start underperforming and getting loud. I certainly won't stick near worn tires on the back to wear the last little bit on the fronts and a DD and risk a car that'll snap oversteer in the wet.

Again, maybe not the best thing in the world... it's just what I do. Even for all-season tires, I usually go after tires that compromise mileage for wet/dry traction and comfort and never get low rolling resistance tires because I'm a fan of rolling resistance when I need it (cornering/braking)... so I'm not trying to touch 80k miles or something. Hell... it'd take me nearly a decade to reach those number of miles and, by then, I'd be worried the tires would be dry rotting by then anyways. About 25k for decently performing but not high end summers and 50k for all seasons seems good enough to me.

I did buy a set of higher end summer tires I only got about 10k miles and less than a year of time on when I was 18-19 years old (and broke) on an old Z I had back then and decided that, in fact, there are some tires that are too good, and overly compromise life to give performance to you, for what I needed. Those were some *outstanding* tires though. I could take corners so fast, you could damn near feel your kidneys bouncing off each other.
Thanks Charles. I never considered the annual alignment scheme, but I just may, as I was wanting one since late last season and this will be a keeper. I would also most probably rotate these PS4s at that time, although I do not place too many miles on this car. Maybe 5k yearly at the high end. I think the wear rating on these tires is something close to like 30k miles, and I don’t drive balls to the walls really ever. So these should hopefully last me a few years considering they are rated at a slightly longer life than the oem Goodyear summers you have. Another thing I need to consider is the ability these tires have to expel water as they wear. I don’t want to be on year 5 with just enough tread left to drive safely, but risk hydroplaning when the heavens open up.
If I could give you multiple thanks, I would. Always put your trust in a Navy man
Sponsored