Heel-and-Toe on the 2019 Civic Si?

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
My feet are not large (8-8.5) and Ive experienced no issues heel-toeing. Ive driven cars that were easier to heel-toe in (impreza rs, miata) and ones that were much harder (focus st).
Sponsored

Eryan36

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Si sedan
Country flag
Acuity spacer helped me a lot. Still isn’t super smooth, but I’m used to heel-toeing in BMWs.

Pekingduck

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
Country flag
I find the same acuity spacer help me a lot where I don’t have to reposition myself. I do have large feet of size 13 so it might help or hinder me. I think practice in the twisty will help a lot because it consecutive turns which help build rhythm and develops that muscle memory. I had driven for almost 20 years though....

Blitted_Master

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe (SOLD)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is one of my main complaints about this car. I wish I could push the brake pedal back. It sits so far forward. I don't want to compensate for that by bringing my gas pedal too far forward as well. Used to heel-toe so easily in my 91 Accord. It's impossible for me to do in this car.

chandlervt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Subaru WRX
Country flag
I am sure all of us have our own driving quirks, but I started a thread about 1-> 2 shifts too. I didn't have any issues with 3->2 or vice versa. What I noticed was if you rev past 3k rpms and shift 1-> 2 then its pretty smooth. Other option was to shift at very low rpms like under 2k but you will be slow off the line. Currently, I am facing similar issue with WRX as well. I guess I need to learn how to drive these turbo/high revving cars. Just my 2 cents. There are lot more experienced drivers out here but worth a try.

OP
OP

rodralig

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si Sedan 2019
Country flag
UPDATE: The Acuity pedal spacer just arrived. I will be installing it over the weekend, and let you guys know how it went with heel-toe...

OP
OP

rodralig

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si Sedan 2019
Country flag
UPDATE: So, it has been several weeks now since I had the Acuity spacer using "B" configuration. Yeah, heel-and-toe is way easier... I will see if I can post some good photos; those that I took were bad due to lens distortion (am using a smartphone).

A few comments, thought:

1. The stock length of the pedals makes it difficult for me to do a heel-and-toe in the traditional sense, ie., ball of feet on brake pedal, and using it as an axis rotate the foot counter-clockwise and have the heel beep the throttle. My heel rubs against the floor, and if I move my foot further up the brake pedal, I'd be braking with the arch of my foot (not good for control). My feet are size 11.
  2. Because of the above, I have to use the alternative of having my foot overlap both pedals and bleep the throttle with the foot edge.
  3. The above works fine, however, I don't get precise braking control because only half of my foot is on the pedal. More so, this doesn't work for me if I were wearing slim racing shoes. I need to wear wide Nike Air-type sneakers.
  4. Am still working on doing heel-and-toe with light braking. I still can't get the balance, either I decrease or increase brake pressure while bleeping on the throttle. This doesn't happen when I am a little more aggressive in my driving, ie., medium to heavy braking (say, when exiting the freeway). I guess because the brake pedal is more inline with the throttle.

So far, so good...

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
UPDATE: So, it has been several weeks now since I had the Acuity spacer using "B" configuration. Yeah, heel-and-toe is way easier... I will see if I can post some good photos; those that I took were bad due to lens distortion (am using a smartphone).

A few comments, thought:

1. The stock length of the pedals makes it difficult for me to do a heel-and-toe in the traditional sense, ie., ball of feet on brake pedal, and using it as an axis rotate the foot counter-clockwise and have the heel beep the throttle. My heel rubs against the floor, and if I move my foot further up the brake pedal, I'd be braking with the arch of my foot (not good for control). My feet are size 11.
  2. Because of the above, I have to use the alternative of having my foot overlap both pedals and bleep the throttle with the foot edge.
  3. The above works fine, however, I don't get precise braking control because only half of my foot is on the pedal. More so, this doesn't work for me if I were wearing slim racing shoes. I need to wear wide Nike Air-type sneakers.
  4. Am still working on doing heel-and-toe with light braking. I still can't get the balance, either I decrease or increase brake pressure while bleeping on the throttle. This doesn't happen when I am a little more aggressive in my driving, ie., medium to heavy braking (say, when exiting the freeway). I guess because the brake pedal is more inline with the throttle.

So far, so good...
Have you tried position C yet? I tried B, but for me it positioned the gas pedal too high up in relation to the brake, so I found myself hitting the gas too easily while trying to brake. Position C lowers it a bit. I've been using the method like you of using the outside of my foot to blip the throttle.

Joerodd

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ramona 2020 Si Sedan Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
Acuity spacer helped me a lot. Still isn’t super smooth, but I’m used to heel-toeing in BMWs.
I drove an e36 for 10 years and heel toe downshifts were natural. I have driven plenty of other manuals, but because the pedal position in the BMW was so comfortable and I never drove hard in any of those other vehicles, I never tried to master the heel toe. I have only been driving my Si for literally a day, but I cant see it becoming comfortable with the pedals in their current position.

Looking at the positions on the spacer, I am guessing that you run position C? How close is it to the BMW? I know it is going to be hard to match the feel of the floor mounted pedal, but I am just wondering what it feels like to another BMW driver.
Sponsored