I think I messed up... Test drove a GTI today!

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
If you're so enamored with your VW why are you even on this forum? I've been reading many of your negative comments on the 10th gen Civic in multiple threads. It's like you're trying to justify your GTI purchase by bashing on one of Honda's most successful car launches in years.
What does it matter to you? This is a thread about GTIs after all!
Sponsored

Last edited:

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R #2314, LS Swapped FC RX-7
Country flag
Hate pointing this out, CTR, but you're pretty much wrong on all counts.

Honda was trying to stick with NA power to make a point. Their engines are awesome, but they finally decided not to be left behind. Now someone just has to tell Toyota... ;)

Many German cars run many hundreds of thousands of miles just fine. The 2000 Passat I just sold was still almost like new.

This is the BEST one! You look at the tech in a German car, and it's ALL last generation! They don't do anything until it's proven, unlike the Koreans. Even the M-B S class has quality, tested tech.

He's here because he's probably like I was. A Euro fan that loves the performance and feel, but is having a hard time justifying the price and maintenance versus a VERY impressive CivicX!
1. Honda proving a point? They've designed some of the most efficient and reliable engines for the last 25 years. They don't have to prove that point. Subaru is just one example of a manufacturer that adopted turbos early on. What is the weakest link (other than head gaskets) in many of their cars? The turbo. Materials science and precision manufacturing has allowed Honda to finally incorporate turbos into their production vehicles without fear of degrading their brand. Toyota and Honda are the most conservative of all manufacturers so it's great that they are finally adopting the technology.

2. Maybe the diesel ones? It doesn't change the fact that the chassis and electrical systems will fail before the engine does. It's just a different philosophy with design than most Japanese (and even American) manufacturers nowadays. You can fight the facts all you want but there is reason that BMW/VW/Audi depreciate faster than many other makes. Lease one or get one with a warranty or you will hate your life. Your Passat might be an exception to the rule.

3. Which tech are you referring to? In my experience German cars tend to make systems as complicated and with as many moving parts as possible. Most of the time they require a special tool for service. For some reason they pride their engineering prowess on how complicated a mechanism is rather than how well/long it works for. Have you seen some of the cupholders in Porsches? Lol.

It's great that you are considering a CivicX though! It's truly an exciting time to be a Honda fan as I believe this is just the start of some really great products to come from them.

What does it matter to you? This is a thread about GTIs after all!
I've just read a bunch of your snarky comments in other threads bashing on the 2016 Civic. You don't see me joining VWVortex and raving about how amazing my S2000 is...

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
1. Honda proving a point? They've designed some of the most efficient and reliable engines for the last 25 years. They don't have to prove that point. Subaru is just one example of a manufacturer that adopted turbos early on. What is the weakest link (other than head gaskets) in many of their cars? The turbo.

2. Maybe the diesel ones? It doesn't change the fact that the chassis and electrical systems will fail before the engine does. It's just a different philosophy with design than most Japanese (and even American) manufacturers nowadays. You can fight the facts all you want but there is reason that BMW/VW/Audi depreciate faster than many other makes. Lease one or get one with a warranty or you will hate your life. Your Passat might be an exception to the rule.

3. Which tech are you referring to? In my experience German cars tend to make systems as complicated and with as many moving parts as possible. Most of the time they require a special tool for service. For some reason they pride their engineering prowess on how complicated a mechanism is rather than how well/long it works for. Have you seen some of the cupholders in Porsches? Lol.

It's great that you are considering a CivicX though! It's truly an exciting time to be a Honda fan as I believe this is just the start of some really great products to come from them.
1. Exactly. The point being they didn't need forced induction to make good power and still be efficient. But time moves on. I've owned reliable turbo cars before, and like you said, everyone is doing it. They either had to join in or be left behind by companies making 300+ warrantied HP out of 2 litres! I was impressed when we were just getting above 200...

2. Like every car, there are good ones and bad ones. I shied away from Audi and BMW for the reasons you mention, but I've spoken with some owners that have 160k or more miles and have done nothing but brakes, oil and tires... It's just not the rule like it is with Honda or Toyota.

3. Toys and gadgets, like infotainment systems and driving aids. Oh yes, they love to over-engineer. But their stuff works so beautifully! When it works... ;)

Considering? Look at my garage. I bought the last day of May... Then I barely drove it for two months because I was enjoying my Passat before selling it. (With worn shocks it still out-handles my Civic... :( ) That's being picky, though. Regular driving, this car is awesome, and feels almost the same as the Passat does. Amazing piece of work.

Reactions: CTR

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
For 2017 VW just introduced the Sportwagen S 4motion, and it comes with the 1.8T and a DSG for about the same price as an Impreza. I know everyone bashes on VW reliability, but our Imprezas have NOT been "typical Japanese car" reliable at all. My wife prefers AWD wagons, so choices have been limited last decade or so. 2 of her 3 Imprezas have had alarming problems, one of which was a failed HG before the 42mo lease was up! (one of the examples of when a lease is a GOOD idea as the factory warranty expired at 36 months on that car)

I mean, who else even competes in the lower priced AWD wagon/hatch bracket? I'm trying to talk her into a Civic Hatch Sport with an extra set of winter wheels/tires...but if she doesn't go for it (she thinks the CivicX Hatch looks strange and not at all like a wagon, which I agree) we'll probably pick up a Sportwagen S 4motion.

With a piggyback and a downpipe the Sportwagen S would rip!
My problem is that Honda has been so good to me in the past. I have a 02 civic with a 140k and did nothing but oil changes,brakes, tires and timing belt. I would be so upset to change brands and have problems. If that makes any sence. I looked at the jeep renegade which I liked, Subaru XV/impreza( didnt like the Hump right next to the gas pedel) accord sport( loved it but missing tech) Camry( very dull). Mazda 3 hatch ( found it a little.tight in.the back.seat.)
I would.Like to test drive the VW sportwagon.

I just keep going back to the civic 4dr.
Reason being.
White paint on black leather.
HS
Nice tech for the price.
40 plus MPG
24k gets you a fully loaded car.
Remote start on FOB.
And a few other things.

I am not feeling the hatch. Its not my cup of tea. I rather have golf/ fit style hatch.

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
I've just read a bunch of your snarky comments in other threads bashing on the 2016 Civic. You don't see me joining VWVortex and raving about how amazing my S2000 is...
That's because it's an S2000, every time I see one I love them even more!

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My problem is that Honda has been so good to me in the past. I have a 02 civic with a 140k and did nothing but oil changes,brakes, tires and timing belt. I would be so upset to change brands and have problems. If that makes any sence. I looked at the jeep renegade which I liked, Subaru XV/impreza( didnt like the Hump right next to the gas pedel) accord sport( loved it but missing tech) Camry( very dull). Mazda 3 hatch ( found it a little.tight in.the back.seat.)
I would.Like to test drive the VW sportwagon.

I just keep going back to the civic 4dr.
Reason being.
White paint on black leather.
HS
Nice tech for the price.
40 plus MPG
24k gets you a fully loaded car.
Remote start on FOB.
And a few other things.

I am not feeling the hatch. Its not my cup of tea. I rather have golf/ fit style hatch.
My Accord was great to me, so I just got the civic, but I really liked it, paid a good price and actually only tested the Accords vs. it. Personally, I would get what you feel most comfortable, others will say this brand or this one, but at the end of the day, you have to drive it and pay for it.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Wow, you researched me! Kinda trying to figure that out, I've never felt compelled to research other members...weird!!

BTW, go ahead and join VW forums. It won't bother me anything you say. It's a free world, do as you wish!

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wow, you researched me! Kinda trying to figure that out, I've never felt compelled to research other members...weird!!
Not really. I've just been a member/lurker here for awhile and check many of the new posts and see your name often enough.

I guess you're just one of those outspoken members who loves to bash on the CivicX while praising their decision on a VW. Lol.

Enjoy your GTI and I'll enjoy my CTR whenever Honda decides to release it. ;)

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Not really. I've just been a member/lurker here for awhile and check many of the new posts and see your name often enough.

I guess you're just one of those outspoken members who loves to bash on the CivicX while praising their decision on a VW. Lol.

Enjoy your GTI and I'll enjoy my CTR whenever Honda decides to release it. ;)
Come on CTR, if you truly do follow me, then you would know that I have throttled WAY back on my "bashing" of CivicX. No need to beat a dead horse, so to say, eh?

Yes, you enjoy your CTR...good for you!

And here is a Honda and a VW getting along just fine:
Honda Civic 10th gen I think I messed up... Test drove a GTI today! IMG_9113

Last edited:

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Come on CTR, if you truly do follow me, then you would know that I have throttled WAY back on my "bashing" of CivicX. No need to beat a dead horse, so to say, eh?
I'm actually a little surprised in how you have responded to my criticism. I anticipated more hostility and am impressed with how you've handled my posts. Maybe I've only seen your negative posts in the past and judged your opinion before I should have. I apologize for judging on what I appeared to be mostly negative posts about the new Civic.

I think we both genuinely want the same thing. For Honda to return to it's roots and produce badass cars again. For me the pinnacle of Honda was the 90's and early 2000's. The S2000 was the last "cool" car they produced and have had a dry spell for the last 15 years. I'm truly excited for their return and it will only push other manufacturers to make cool cars again. I don't know what changed at Honda but I'm glad it did!

It's not going to change my opinion of VW but at least we can both agree that Honda was great and hope that they will be great again soon. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
I'm actually a little surprised in how you have responded to my criticism. I anticipated more hostility and am impressed with how you've handled my posts. Maybe I've only seen your negative posts in the past and judged your opinion before I should have. I apologize for judging on what I appeared to be mostly negative posts about the new Civic.

I think we both genuinely want the same thing. For Honda to return to it's roots and produce badass cars again. For me the pinnacle of Honda was the 90's and early 2000's. The S2000 was the last "cool" car they produced and have had a dry spell for the last 15 years. I'm truly excited for their return and it will only push other manufacturers to make cool cars again. I don't know what changed at Honda but I'm glad it did!

It's not going to change my opinion of VW but at least we can both agree that Honda was great and hope that they will be great again soon. :thumbsup:
I would say along with the s2000 the rsx were the last two cool cars Honda had. Hopefully next Si wont be a disappointment we know the CTR wont be.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
I didn't really feel the RSX over the Integra... But I never got to drive one or even spend much time close to one.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After owning a Honda in one form or another for the last 31 years, I guess you could say I'm a fan. But I never built any of them up, their low maintenance and reliability just sold me on them. I have no reason to buy another brand, not that I don't like some others, just my choice. And Honda has finally made a truly great Civic again. I am typing this as I'm on my way from Illinois to Texas cruising at 80, and getting 37 mpg with the ac on.

CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would say along with the s2000 the rsx were the last two cool cars Honda had.
The RSX was decent. The major flaw in the car was the MacPherson front suspension. This was a pretty substantial change from the DC and EG that many Honda enthusiasts considered the decline of modern Honda.

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After owning a Honda in one form or another for the last 31 years, I guess you could say I'm a fan. But I never built any of them up, their low maintenance and reliability just sold me on them. I have no reason to buy another brand, not that I don't like some others, just my choice. And Honda has finally made a truly great Civic again. I am typing this as I'm on my way from Illinois to Texas cruising at 80, and getting 37 mpg with the ac on.
Yep, I have had a few mercedes in the past, they are nicer cars at a cost, Honda had them beat on maintenace...my accord was mainly just brakes and oil changes. I don't think the civic is really plain, it has some nice features, but to each his own
Sponsored