I think I messed up... Test drove a GTI today!

raven1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Passat
I agree with others that these two cars may be quite different. Still, they were the final two cars that I came down to after eliminating the Mazda 3 and others. I was very close to purchasing a Civic hatchback last month but didn't. The main reason is the front seats. I just couldn't find them comfortable no matter which trim I sat in and how I adjusted them even with the salesperson's help. And that was disappointing because it would have otherwise been great for us.
So I went with the GTI and yes I'm well aware of reliability issues and resale value etc, having been a VW owner for 16 years of my life. But I love the solid feel of the car and the seats are just perfect and since I've got to sit in it every day that's critical to me. There was really no comparison in seat fit and support and comfort, for my average build self anyways. Got a beautiful dark blue GTI SE 6MT for more than $5,000 off MSRP. (And we still own two other Hondas so it's nothing against the brand at all and I do appreciate the many other excellent aspects of the Civic)

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I think I'd have bought a GTI if my wife had been on-board. 16 years of German cars and she wanted me to get something else. The seats are awesome.

First_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EXL Lunar SIlver
Country flag
If I knew how cheap you could've gotten the GTI's for then I would've definitely have bought one.

First_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EXL Lunar SIlver
Country flag
After owning a Honda in one form or another for the last 31 years, I guess you could say I'm a fan. But I never built any of them up, their low maintenance and reliability just sold me on them. I have no reason to buy another brand, not that I don't like some others, just my choice. And Honda has finally made a truly great Civic again. I am typing this as I'm on my way from Illinois to Texas cruising at 80, and getting 37 mpg with the ac on.
Shame on you, while being on your phone, driving.

First_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EXL Lunar SIlver
Country flag
I own a MkV (2008) GTI 4-door and when it was still fresh the car was a dream to drive. Downside? Premium fuel. High cost of maintenance. After warranty maintenance is crazy expensive unless you try and do it yourself. After around 80,000 miles, I had the car in the shop nearly every 4-6 months.

High maintenance is what partly drove me to get the 10th Gen. Civic. I have no regrets. I still have the GTI and everything has been fixed - the last was a failed PCV valve.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to sell it off or just let it sit in the garage. I drive it once in awhile still. Set the car to Stage 1 tune and she's still fun to drive but it's nice to know I don't have to rely on her as a daily.
How's the cost of maintenance like on your GTI?

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The GTI costs exactly twice as the civic in China. For the money of a new Civic I could get a 6 years old GTI MK6. No way!

jpuhl777

First Name
Jp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe (WOP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
only speaking of my own experience. Long time Honda fan but I thought I would step outside of that ring and buy a 20th Anniversary Rabbit (2003). It drove VERY well, a bit more gear picky than a civic but still quite nice. However the car was plagued with problems from the get go. I "owned" the car for 7 months but the dealership had it for over 40 days in that time. Turbo and brake issues. I finally got the dealership to admit it was a bad car and they bought it back under lemon law.

Since then I'm super hesitant about VW. I'm still tempted every once in awhile, after even Honda (as all other car makers) make a bad car once in awhile right? I've never had an issue with Honda but I know some people have.

As cool as I still think GTI's are (gotta love those plaid seats! I sure do) my 17 SI Coupe came with peace of mind for me.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How's the cost of maintenance like on your GTI?
Sorry. Lost track of this thread until I saw a new post.

Before 80,000 miles it was reasonable: oil changes avg. around $70. Brake jobs and some updates to the pvc valve not bad. But at the 80K maintenance the bill was fairly huge had to do DSG transmission fluid flush, timing belt and valve cleaning along with everything else and racked up several thousand dollars in the bill.

At 100,000 - I still have repairs for various parts that are wearing out. So pretty much anytime I go to the shop I'm expecting a several hundred dollars bill for the work.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
GTI has carbon buildup issues? I remember a tech mentioning that. My wife has a 16 A3 2.0T Quattro so I'm a bit concerned about that and the belt replacement...

Last edited:

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
GTI has carbon buildup issues? I remember a tech mentioning that. My wife has a 16 A3 2.0T Quattro so I'm a bit concerned about that and the belt replacement...
Carbon buildup was a real issue with FSI engines. Not sure but I think the '16 A3 probably has the TSI motor which was improved in many ways. For one thing the TSI uses a chain and not a belt so no real issue with replacing there. As for valve cleanings, I'm not 100-percent sure but that may be still the case even the TSI motors.

ksywa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic ext
I'm new here and i do like my '16 civic EXT but i do agree GTI is a hoot to drive.I almost pulled a trigger on one and frankly now regret buying civic.Thing is my previous car was a golf TDI and i loved it,but it had to go because of emission cheat. I miss it a lot. I miss gas mileage,DSG smoothness,torque,acceleration and ease of regular maintenance(oil change and fuel filter change can be done from topside).
CVT on my civic is the thing i loathe the most.Radio/hvac controls is overly complicated.It should not take you multiple presses to change fan speed.What were they thinking? There is a few rattles on my few months old car.Gas mileage is ok but i expected better and was used to better.
In overall i'm not as ecstatic about Honda as i thought i would be.If only dealer wanted to negotiate on new GTI...
Kind of late for second thoughts but civic is not perfect.

Fpaliza

First Name
Felipe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7 GTI
I currently have a 2015 GTI SE, i can tell you right now, if what you are looking for is performance then GTI is the way to go. Mine is dinoed at 288 with only a tune on a got day.
Its a great car to own and its stupid fast.
However there are drawbacks, maintenance, repairs, early failing turbos, I had my transmission replaced twice under warranty.
If you are looking for a crazy fast sleeper than GTI is the way to go. I'm looking at the SI as my next car for my own reason thought.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I currently have a 2015 GTI SE, i can tell you right now, if what you are looking for is performance then GTI is the way to go. Mine is dinoed at 288 with only a tune on a got day.
Its a great car to own and its stupid fast.
However there are drawbacks, maintenance, repairs, early failing turbos, I had my transmission replaced twice under warranty.
If you are looking for a crazy fast sleeper than GTI is the way to go. I'm looking at the SI as my next car for my own reason thought.
There is no doubt the GTI can be "crazy" fast which makes if very appealing. But your second paragraph also makes the GTI un-appealing.

So, care to share in more detail why you're now considering the Si?

BTW, I'm a Mk5 GTI owner as well. It's no longer my DD but I do take it out on weekends just to get her out of the garage.

Fpaliza

First Name
Felipe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7 GTI
There is no doubt the GTI can be "crazy" fast which makes if very appealing. But your second paragraph also makes the GTI un-appealing.

So, care to share in more detail why you're now considering the Si?

BTW, I'm a Mk5 GTI owner as well. It's no longer my DD but I do take it out on weekends just to get her out of the garage.
I've had some issued with quality, like i mentioned i had my transmission fully replaced twice withing the first year. lots or rattle inside which i have been able to address with some felt here and there. squeaky doors just like any other VW. I want to think its just growing pains for the mexico plant but who knows.

Other than that i do love the car, I would not mind going back to VW at some point. I'm even still considering buying out my current lease.
Sponsored