Test drove 2017 CRV with Civics Turbo engine

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
It isn't. It's been specifically stated by Honda it's not "sport".

It's just "S mode", to be used for better accelerating, engine braking, inclines, etc.

As a difference, Hyundai's have an actual button, where if you press it, it cycles between SPORT and ECON, all those words visible on the dash. In Hondas, s is just s.
than what is it? P-> park, R-> reverse, D-> drive S->?, L-> low I thought, that S has to stand for something.

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Guys, the "S" on the shifter is not "Sport"...which is what I think has led to all this confusion lol.
Honda press release
S-Range Control

To allow the driver to alter the operation of the CVT, the console-mounted gear selector includes an "S" or Sport mode that provides a sport-shift schedule that delays upshifting for more available power, and provides greater engine braking.
http://news.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=8705-en

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
however I'll agree that our manual is very vague
Vague indeed. I'll just note that Honda's press releases have been blatantly wrong before, and should not be regarded as "official", even if they are on Honda's website.

But honestly, you can literally call it whatever you want lol - sexy mode, super mode, sparkly mode, sport mode, whatever lol.

BurgundyK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic FC 1.5 Turbo (Touring)
Vehicle Showcase
It's just "S mode", to be used for better accelerating, engine braking, inclines, etc.
How is "better accelerating, engine braking, inclines, etc." not Sport or a sportier mode? Just cos Honda said it isn't a "Sport" button?

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
How is "better accelerating, engine braking, inclines, etc." not Sport or a sportier mode? Just cos Honda said it isn't a "Sport" button?
lol, way to beat a dead horse, but I'm also being pedantic in saying that S isn't sport. You can call it what you want, but in official print literature, it's just referred to as S.

BurgundyK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic FC 1.5 Turbo (Touring)
Vehicle Showcase
lol, way to beat a dead horse, but I'm also being pedantic in saying that S isn't sport. You can call it what you want, but in official print literature, it's just referred to as S.
So that's a "Yes" to my Q. Cool.

whale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic EX sedan | 14 BMW 328xi
Oh god there is no Sport button like Hyundai has? Bizarre that it's like an entire gear, oh well glad to know it's there. I'll have to hit the dealership again to test it out.

edit: This would mean you can be in sport mode and econ mode at the same time...something is wrong with this..
You technically can, but I've done it before on my EX 2.0 just to see what happens and it gives you a warning on the dash telling you to shift into D.

I'm not 100% sure but I think shifting into S only alters the transmission characteristics. On other vehicles with a separate button sport mode also alters the engine, suspension etc. My dad's BMW has a sport mode that does this, it also has an S position on the shifter that only affects the transmission.
In the SI spy shots there was a sport button in place of the ECON button on standard Civics, this likely operates similar to the sport mode on the BMW and other vehicles, affecting the engine, suspension etc. instead of the transmission. I doubt it's possible to change shifting characteristics with a manual anyway, that's all on the driver.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
For higher end vehicles, "sport" usually alters throttle response, transmission programming, suspension, and steering.
That would also require that all those systems have computer controllers, the hardest (ie. most expensive) one being suspension.

The upcoming models may very well have active suspension and steering, but until there's actual documentation, chances are just as likely that they won't.
Sponsored