Honda Civic Type-R Over sticker dealer naughty list.

Sup_Devil

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Pilot, S2000, 2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Some honda dealerships are already starting to tell me they are "motivated to move the car" and "want to earn my business" the end of mark ups is near and one dealer told me to call them back when I return to my deployment citing "the market may be in your favor to get a great deal, maybe even to get below MSRP".

This is SoCal.

Keep hanging in there guys. The storm is coming.
Idiots keep messing up the game for the rest of us.....case in point I had a CW lined up for msrp plus a small protection package with tint so it wasn't a bad deal. Made appointment to see to today and drove over to check it out and they said someone came in right before closing last night and bought it for $5k over. Wtf!
Sponsored

lac__

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R PMM | R-14704
Country flag
Yeah if everyone could just stop buying it for an extreme amount over MSRP for like 2 weeks we’ll have solved the problem.

Idiots keep messing up the game for the rest of us.....case in point I had a CW lined up for msrp plus a small protection package with tint so it wasn't a bad deal. Made appointment to see to today and drove over to check it out and they said someone came in right before closing last night and bought it for $5k over. Wtf!

chandlervt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Subaru WRX
Country flag
A fool and his money are easily parted. Its a car, no need to get emotional and pay more than its worth. Plus, you will need buy gap insurance if you are not putting at least 25% down at that price. Pretty much lose-lose scenario.

Sup_Devil

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Pilot, S2000, 2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
A fool and his money are easily parted. Its a car, no need to get emotional and pay more than its worth. Plus, you will need buy gap insurance if you are not putting at least 25% down at that price. Pretty much lose-lose scenario.
Yeah I was looking at $39k out the door which to me is a solid deal in the FL market. I have had many quotes over email for $50k before tax tag and title It's crazy. I could see if Honda had ceased production for next year but they look to only be ramping up the numbers!

lac__

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R PMM | R-14704
Country flag
Got quoted $41,500 out the door from a dealer in California for a white CTR. Its temping, but soooo close to MSRP.

bri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2010 G37S
Country flag
Got quoted $41,500 out the door from a dealer in California for a white CTR. Its temping, but soooo close to MSRP.
From a SoCal Facebook group. Checking with a few other dealers this seems to be the going rate:

Hey guys,

West Covina Norm Reeves Honda my old sale guy contact me to see if there’s anyone looking for a Type R.

MSRP is $35,595.

Any color but white is $1500 over MSRP
Plus fees White is $3000 over plus fees

If anyone know someone is looking for one. Please contact Carlos Garcia in Internet/fleet Sales.

destoups

First Name
Des
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Country flag
From a SoCal Facebook group. Checking with a few other dealers this seems to be the going rate:

Hey guys,

West Covina Norm Reeves Honda my old sale guy contact me to see if there’s anyone looking for a Type R.

MSRP is $35,595.

Any color but white is $1500 over MSRP
Plus fees White is $3000 over plus fees

If anyone know someone is looking for one. Please contact Carlos Garcia in Internet/fleet Sales.
On the phone with this dealer all morning. Their offer was $36,490 on a red one. I'd have grabbed it, but they only deal with California buyers.

That's because they won't ship (fraud apparently an issue), and if I pick up a car in California I have to pay California sales tax — like, $3,000 — which sucks because Oregon has no sales tax on cars. Thanks, but I can buy a $40K Type R locally.

Have to say they were otherwise pretty reasonable.

lockednloaded

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM CTR #17012
Country flag
On the phone with this dealer all morning. Their offer was $36,490 on a red one. I'd have grabbed it, but they only deal with California buyers.

That's because they won't ship (fraud apparently an issue), and if I pick up a car in California I have to pay California sales tax — like, $3,000 — which sucks because Oregon has no sales tax on cars. Thanks, but I can buy a $40K Type R locally.

Have to say they were otherwise pretty reasonable.
Should be paying tax on the state you are registering the vehicle in.... I live in NC and got my CTR in Rhode Island and didn’t have to pay RI sales tax.

destoups

First Name
Des
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Country flag
Should be paying tax on the state you are registering the vehicle in.... I live in NC and got my CTR in Rhode Island and didn’t have to pay RI sales tax.
Yeah, I called BS as well but then looked it up. If you take possession in California, the dealer has to collect the tax!

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

lockednloaded

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM CTR #17012
Country flag
What in the Actual F**K is this F**KERY
What would be hilarious is if they put a pic of the window sticker on the listing with the actual msrp showing. Not that anyone who goes in to see it wont notice that. “Hey I thought the website says msrp is $45k this sticker says $35k”

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Was about to say this, you don't have to pay tax at purchase, just where you register.

E: What?? Really?

Yeah, I called BS as well but then looked it up. If you take possession in California, the dealer has to collect the tax!
That seems.... interesting. In other words, shitty. :banghead:

EE: And actually that doesn't seem true, because you have to pay tax vehicle purchase in YOUR state to register the new vehicle. The dealer has to waive the registration of the vehicle and subsequently the tax of it, and when you go to register in your home state, you'll pay it there.

There's a temporary 'pass' (Transport permit) you'd get from the California dealer or DMV (temporary tags are placeholders for the state license plate, so not one of those), and then you'd have to go to your DMV as soon as possible to register.

EEE: To make sure I'd call the California DMV and specifically ask about the transport permit, and if it applies in this case (it should).

Last edited:

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
Was about to say this, you don't have to pay tax at purchase, just where you register.

E: What?? Really?

That seems.... interesting. In other words, shitty. :banghead:

EE: And actually that doesn't seem true, because you have to pay tax vehicle purchase in YOUR state to register the new vehicle. The dealer has to waive the registration of the vehicle and subsequently the tax of it, and when you go to register in your home state, you'll pay it there.

There's a temporary 'pass' (Transport permit) you'd get from the California dealer or DMV (temporary tags are placeholders for the state license plate, so not one of those), and then you'd have to go to your DMV as soon as possible to register.

EEE: To make sure I'd call the California DMV and specifically ask about the transport permit, and if it applies in this case (it should).
I bought my Pilot in CA. Had to pay CA tax 7.75 (higher in NV 8.25) when I took delivery. They provided transport permit. Had to pay the extra 0.5% when I registered in NV.

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
I bought my Pilot in CA. Had to pay CA tax 7.75 (higher in NV 8.25) when I took delivery. They provided transport permit. Had to pay the extra 0.5% when I registered in NV.
I'm curious what happens if the tax is the other way around... That's what my brain was stuck on. Also, I'm pretty sure that the tax that was collected on sale in CA is was routed to NV any ways once registration hits. If only there was a clear and easy write-up on this officially!

Thanks for correcting/giving info!
Sponsored