Fuel Drain and Engine Flush PLEASE HELP!!!

Simba

First Name
Simba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.8L
Country flag
Hello everyone! hope everyone is well. I have a 2017 Honda Civic with about 80,000 km (50k miles). My cars been sitting for about 8 months now and I wanted to bring her back to life. Can someone please tell me how to drain the old gas from the tank? Is there any way? I really dont want to risk firing up the engine with bad gas and causing damage. Also, I was thinking of doing an engine flush, could someone please tell me if this is safe and recommended or not? Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored

Ducota

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si 2021 Accord Sport 2.0 2015 FiT Sport
Country flag
what was the weather like during those 8 months? I'm guessing warm to really hot? Unless it has ethanol you should be good.

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
8 months of letting gas sit probably isn't that bad. But if you really wanted to take out the gas then just go into your trunk and grab the filler funnel and stick a tube in there and syphon it out .

OP
OP

Simba

First Name
Simba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.8L
Country flag
Thanks for the replies! I guess I left out some details. So I live in Pakistan, during those 8 months we have transitioned from winter to summer. It was pretty cold and now its very hot and humid. The gas here does contain ethanol as im told and given how expensive repairs and stuff is id rather just remove the gas and siphon it out.
Is it in fact possible to stick a hose down the fuel tank and siphon it? I read online art some stuff like a ball valve or a anti siphon screen something like that. Would love the guidance if its possible. Also, could someone let me know if an engine flush is a good idea? Ive read conflicting reviews some say its not necessary and some say its good. Would love the input

OP
OP

Simba

First Name
Simba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.8L
Country flag
Also could someone let me know if Liquimoly Injector cleaner is safe to use? Ive been considering adding a bottle to the tank, is it safe and does it work?

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
8 months should be fine, especially if you top it off with new gas to mix in. The P.E.A. in injector cleaner can help clean a little but I wouldn't expect miracles.

You can stick the capless funnel in to open the gate to the fill hose. There's an anti siphon plate about 20" down the tube so you'll need the smallest hose you can find. Like 3/16" tygon tube or little fish aquarium hose. I tried .250" hose and that was too large but the tiny .187" hose worked. Cut the end at a sharp angle and try to poke it through the siphon plate holes. Took me about 4 minutes poking at it. Of course it takes forever to siphon out that tiny hose though.

TLDR just top off the tank with new gas it will be fine.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How much is too much e85 if you don't have a flex fuel kit
10% is perfectly fine. About 15% is as high as recommend without a kit. The flex fuel sensor and flex fuel converter send a signal to the ECU to richen the fuel mixture for proper fuel trims. If you run over 15% ethanol without compensating you'll be running lean.

EarthDreams414

First Name
⛄️
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
10% is perfectly fine. About 15% is as high as recommend without a kit. The flex fuel sensor and flex fuel converter send a signal to the ECU to richen the fuel mixture for proper fuel trims. If you run over 15% ethanol without compensating you'll be running lean.
Got it, i was at the pump last night and I over poured, 6 gallons over 🤬

so a drain is order big time

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got it, i was at the pump last night and I over poured, 6 gallons over 🤬

so a drain is order big time
If you used 6 gal e85 and 6 gal premium non ethanol you're about 35% ethanol. It's such a PITA to drain I would drive it EASY and every 40 miles top it off with non ethanol and it will come down like 3% each time.

EarthDreams414

First Name
⛄️
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
If you used 6 gal e85 and 6 gal premium non ethanol you're about 35% ethanol. It's such a PITA to drain I would drive it EASY and every 40 miles top it off with non ethanol and it will come down like 3% each time.
Yeah I was feeling bored and decided to try it out, turns out it wasn't so bad, just unhooked the fuel hose near the throttle, jumped the relay and bam it took less than 20 minutes. Now I have a full ten gallon jug of 93 and E85 mixture that I'm gonna use up little at a time
Sponsored