Where is the engine coolant drain bolt?!

cm5157

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan, 2011 Ford Fiesta SES
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been going crazy the past couple days trying to do the simple task of a complete coolant change on my 2016 1.5T sedan. I nearly boiled my coolant the last track day and thus need to replace it. I found the petcock and was able to drain the radiator, but for the life of me I can't fine the drain bolt for the engine. I've found this image online but I have no idea where this picture even is.

Any ideas?

Honda Civic 10th gen Where is the engine coolant drain bolt?! QQTLeAY
Sponsored

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I've been going crazy the past couple days trying to do the simple task of a complete coolant change on my 2016 1.5T sedan. I nearly boiled my coolant the last track day and thus need to replace it. I found the petcock and was able to drain the radiator, but for the life of me I can't fine the drain bolt for the engine. I've found this image online but I have no idea where this picture even is.

Any ideas?

QQTLeAY.png
That picture looks like it's right next to the cat based on the heat shield and what appears to be an 02 sensor.

OP
OP
cm5157

cm5157

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan, 2011 Ford Fiesta SES
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That picture looks like it's right next to the cat based on the heat shield and what appears to be an 02 sensor.
I've looked there but haven't been able to find anything that looks conclusively like the picture. I'm a little wary of unbolting without knowing for sure it's the right one. A picture if anyone know exactly would be great!

Dirty_panda

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
To all future people: I finally found the elusive coolant drain bolt, once thought to be a thing of legend.

#14 on the diagram. Now to find an appropriate sized crush washer.

resource.png
Have you found a suitable washer for the drain bolt? Can you include a picture of where the bolt is located just so I’m 100% confident.

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Couldn't you just run distilled water through the system a couple of times to get all the coolant out? So you wouldn't have to go through all that trouble of finding #14?

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Couldn't you just run distilled water through the system a couple of times to get all the coolant out? So you wouldn't have to go through all that trouble of finding #14?
Yes but then you'd have residual water in the system so when you fill with premixed coolant it will be too dilute. Meaning you then need to flush extra coolant through multiple times. Easier to do the bolt, or not at all and just drain/fill from the rad only.

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Yes but then you'd have residual water in the system so when you fill with premixed coolant it will be too dilute. Meaning you then need to flush extra coolant through multiple times. Easier to do the bolt, or not at all and just drain/fill from the rad only.
Gotchya that makes sense

fuzzydang

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic 1.5T Sedan
Country flag

Any ideas?

QQTLeAY.png

For the life of me, I cannot reach the petcock for the radiator for my 1.5T engine. What did you remove to get to it?

thanks

Green4Gulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Where is the engine coolant drain bolt?! Cylinder Block-oil pan1

Honda Civic 10th gen Where is the engine coolant drain bolt?! 1698503743105

The washer is #19 in the picture. It's the 28mm sealing washer. I ordered 3 from dreamshop.honda.com. I'm picking them up at my local dealership when they arrive.