Front grille coming apart.

DaiLo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It help my problem with the grill, thank you I reinforce the bumper with the bracket and use zip ties and it fix my issue my Gap
Where exactly did you use the zip ties?
Sponsored

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Where exactly did you use the zip ties?
simply stuck them through the grille's tabs and carefully fished them up and inside of the bumper, then loosely tied it off. There is a post on this same threat on the previous pages

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. bumper zip tie

DaiLo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
simply stuck them through the grille's tabs and carefully fished them up and inside of the bumper, then loosely tied it off. There is a post on this same threat on the previous pages

bumper zip tie.png
I saw that post but I guess I'm having a hard time imagining where that tab is based on the pictures I've seen (I want to have a plan before I take it apart and see for myself).

It doesn't look like it's these tabs but from my understanding, those are the areas where it's coming apart right? They don't look like the tab in your picture though. Where is that located?

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. new
Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. new2

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Simple fix would be to heat up those tabs and push them up while pushing the front part of the grille backwards.

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Had this same problem on my 2018 and now my 2020, my 2018 was completely stock while this one is modified. I feel like almost everyone I see with this car has run into this same issue after like 6mo+ of ownership, idk why they cant hold

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Had this same problem on my 2018 and now my 2020, my 2018 was completely stock while this one is modified. I feel like almost everyone I see with this car has run into this same issue after like 6mo+ of ownership, idk why they cant hold
It’s a design flaw. Honda’s designers should have made it more robust.

mmmthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3
Country flag
I saw that post but I guess I'm having a hard time imagining where that tab is based on the pictures I've seen (I want to have a plan before I take it apart and see for myself).

It doesn't look like it's these tabs but from my understanding, those are the areas where it's coming apart right? They don't look like the tab in your picture though. Where is that located?

new.jpg
new2.jpg
The tabs are the red circle in the picture. What I found helps is to pre bend the zip tie to 90 degrees so that it will slot right into the tab hole. It'll take some finessing to get the zip ties through the tab holes.

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan 1.5T, 2009 Accord Sedan 2.4 LX-P, 2000 Civic Sedan EK4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can you be more specific of where this ziptie went? I've been using these pictures from earlier in the thread as a point of reference.

Also @hikaru , you mentioned earlier that the 2019 models have a reinforced center column and wider tabs. Does that mean this fitment issue isn't really an issue anymore? Thanks for all the info guys.
The center column has been reinforced with much bulkier materials, and those tabs around the grill have bigger bumps which engage better. I have not seen anyone with bad fitment yet on 2019 facelift.

Picture here is from those who run cable ties around the grill, but I won’t recommend it as you can see it does more harms on what is already bad. Those tabs on bumper are stressed much more and eventually will be torn apart.

Fix the center column is the key to prevent the bumper from spitting the grill out.

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. 2EB02717-D722-42CB-9B8B-7611C21853D7

mmmthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3
Country flag
The center column has been reinforced with much bulkier materials, and those tabs around the grill have bigger bumps which engage better. I have not seen anyone with bad fitment yet on 2019 facelift.

Picture here is from those who run cable ties around the grill, but I won’t recommend it as you can see it does more harms on what is already bad. Those tabs on bumper are stressed much more and eventually will be torn apart.

Fix the center column is the key to prevent the bumper from spitting the grill out.

2EB02717-D722-42CB-9B8B-7611C21853D7.jpeg
I have a 2019 w/ <5k miles and it happens there too. Probably due to the heat from the engine, those little tabs in the bumper were shearing off.

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a 2019 w/ <5k miles and it happens there too. Probably due to the heat from the engine, those little tabs in the bumper were shearing off.
Too bad, I heat up those tabs, and bent them down. Of course you see I reinforced the center column after realizing it’s the culprit.

So far so good.

DaiLo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Too bad, I heat up those tabs, and bent them down. Of course you see I reinforced the center column after realizing it’s the culprit.

So far so good.
Any idea about the size of brackets you used?

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any idea about the size of brackets you used?
I think you can go with those that measure 2" x 2", but make sure that it's thick and durable so it won't get deformed over time.

Cable tie only make thing worse. Look at the center beam column where I marked in yellow rectangular, the grill should sit flushed with the bumper column in that area. Not only the cable ties stressed the bumper tabs, it does nothing at the same time to close those gap in rectangular area.

There is a gap between the Grill and the center column because the center column is deformed over time from the heat. Once you reinforce it with a metal bracket to lift it up again, it won't force the tabs on the grill out anymore.

How much should you angle the L bracket brace? Until the grill sit flush with the center column in the yellow rectangular area.

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. DD

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Add me to the list. 2017 Si with 63K, wondering who backed into my grill before I realized this was an engineering flaw. My main concern is that I have ppf over the bumper and hood. All of that will likely need to be replaced.

Taking it to the dealer next week and will report back.

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. 20210216_090256
Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. 20210216_090406

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Add me to the list. 2017 Si with 63K, wondering who backed into my grill before I realized this was an engineering flaw. My main concern is that I have ppf over the bumper and hood. All of that will likely need to be replaced.

Taking it to the dealer next week and will report back.

20210216_090256.jpg
20210216_090406.jpg
The tab is broken, so it's done unless you bondo the grill permanently on the bumper cover or have the bumper cover replaced.

Are you sure someone never put pressure on the grill? Maybe someone was leaning against on it without your supervision?

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
It's possible, but two other tabs are displaced with no evidence of downward pressure (outward only). It clearly shows evidence of the tabs being worn down on the entire driver's side of the grill. The tab I photographed above is the worst of the three.

I did have the evaporator replaced under warranty. But after looking at the removal process, I'm not fully convinced that would have weakened the bumper.

Another angle:

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. 20210216_090449
Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. 20210216_090434

Last edited: