Front grille coming apart.

Chakra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I see Bro is much less , I want to fix mine too.
Were the clips of your bumper broke?

20200512_182952.jpg

20200512_182946.jpg
I had the grille replaced because the clips from those were broken. The tabs on the bumper itself basically warped on 3 tabs and 1 of them broke/wore down completely. Looking to see if I can remedy that myself with epoxy or something.

mmmthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3
Country flag
Just wanted to post up my fix for this issue. I went from OEM to the Pro design grille to a Seibon CF grille and finally back to stock... So yeah, my bumper's tabs were toast.

After looking at it I realized a really stupid simple fix would probably work really well... Really all you need is for the bumper's tabs to be larger and this whole thing would be solved. So rather than heat gun, I gave zip ties a try, but simply stuck them through the grille's tabs and carefully fished them up and inside of the bumper, then loosely tied it off. I'm not using the zip tie to hold anything to anything else, so I didn't cinch them down hardly at all, in fact it seems like having them larger like this works better because there is very little tension.

bumper zip tie.png

What this does is make the theoretical size of the bumper tab impossibly huge such that there's no real way for it to unhook through the hole.

Will report back how it holds up, so far I have reinstalled the bumper and pulled pretty hard to see if I could get any deflection and there is none whatsoever.
Hows this holding up. My bumper is also coming apart. Thinking about doing like this to fix it.

Did you have to remove the bumper to do this or can you do this by removing the radiator shroud and come in from the top?

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Hows this holding up. My bumper is also coming apart. Thinking about doing like this to fix it.

Did you have to remove the bumper to do this or can you do this by removing the radiator shroud and come in from the top?

Mine too, just noticed this a few days ago.

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan 1.5T, 2009 Accord Sedan 2.4 LX-P, 2000 Civic Sedan EK4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Guys, can't stress this enough how important it is to reinforce the vertical center support beam first before you do anything.

If the center support beam is not reinforced and collapsed, whatever you do goes to the drain because the grill will be popped out in no time.

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. 1590733403878

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Guys, can't stress this enough how important it is to reinforce the vertical center support beam first before you do anything.

If the center support beam is not reinforced and collapsed, whatever you do goes to the drain because the grill will be popped out in no time.

1590733403878.png

how did you re-enforce that area?

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
how did you re-enforce that area?
If you look at the picture, I have a L bracket to brace the vertical center support so that it stands upwards again until the gap between the support and the grill is minimized in the YELLOW rectangular area. You will know your vertical center support is collapsed if there is a gap between it and the grill in that YELLOW rectangular area, the bracket has to be positioned in an angle so that the vertical center support is in its correct position again.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Pretty ridiculous this is even an issue. Honda dealers should be fixing these issues free of charge.

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@hikaru

Does that bracket that you used have a name? I'm genuinely curious. Thanks.
No, you can use any L bracket like this one too with multiple pre-drilled holes so that you can secure it to the bumper beam with self taping screws once you find the right angle to lift the center vertical beam.

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. 1593236289378

EasyFrag

First Name
JOey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
That is another good fix, even if you don't have this grille (the stock one can sag and separate as well).
So after wanting a grille since I purchased my car a year ago, my wife asks me what I wanted for my birthday (beginning of August). I looked up the link to the grille to share with her and to my dismay, saw the backorder status.... NOOOOOOOOooooooo.....

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag
So after wanting a grille since I purchased my car a year ago, my wife asks me what I wanted for my birthday (beginning of August). I looked up the link to the grille to share with her and to my dismay, saw the backorder status.... NOOOOOOOOooooooo.....
I'm sorry about that. Yeah, inventory has been rough lately across the whole industry. We cannot keep enough parts in stock.

EasyFrag

First Name
JOey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I'm sorry about that. Yeah, inventory has been rough lately across the whole industry. We cannot keep enough parts in stock.
Oh, I get it, I have a car stereo shop, and we are feeling it too.

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag

1590733403878.png
It help my problem with the grill, thank you I reinforce the bumper with the bracket and use zip ties and it fix my issue my Gap

DaiLo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just wanted to post up my fix for this issue. I went from OEM to the Pro design grille to a Seibon CF grille and finally back to stock... So yeah, my bumper's tabs were toast.

After looking at it I realized a really stupid simple fix would probably work really well... Really all you need is for the bumper's tabs to be larger and this whole thing would be solved. So rather than heat gun, I gave zip ties a try, but simply stuck them through the grille's tabs and carefully fished them up and inside of the bumper, then loosely tied it off. I'm not using the zip tie to hold anything to anything else, so I didn't cinch them down hardly at all, in fact it seems like having them larger like this works better because there is very little tension.

bumper zip tie.png

What this does is make the theoretical size of the bumper tab impossibly huge such that there's no real way for it to unhook through the hole.

Will report back how it holds up, so far I have reinstalled the bumper and pulled pretty hard to see if I could get any deflection and there is none whatsoever.
Can you be more specific of where this ziptie went? I've been using these pictures from earlier in the thread as a point of reference.

Also @hikaru , you mentioned earlier that the 2019 models have a reinforced center column and wider tabs. Does that mean this fitment issue isn't really an issue anymore? Thanks for all the info guys.