Dealer says my compressor is "coming apart"

Arooge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
I took my car to the dealer after it started leaking massive amounts of burnt transmission fluid. They said it was from a sensor, which I didn't fully believe, but I went ahead and had them replace the transmission as they recommended. My a/c quit blowing cold over a year ago, so I had them look at that while it's there. I was hoping it was the condenser and it would be covered under warranty, but I was informed today that my "compressor is coming apart" and that is my issue, and that I need to replace the condenser, compressor, and a valve. For 2100$ how does a compressor "come apart" and does this sound legit or am I being fleeced? They sent me a message within 1 hour of me requesting my ac be looked at saying all that stuff is bad. Don't they have to remove the entire dash to access the compressor? 2016 2.0 automatic cvt
Sponsored

OP
OP

Arooge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
Dealer also mentioned metal shavings in a/c

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Everything's under the hood. Lack of Freon and it's lubricant can kill the compressor if it's run for long without any. Not sure why the condenser is included unless it was leaking. If the cause was not the corrosion issue, then you would be on the hook for total cost.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Everything's under the hood. Lack of Freon and it's lubricant can kill the compressor if it's run for long without any. Not sure why the condenser is included unless it was leaking. If the cause was not the corrosion issue, then you would be on the hook for total cost.
It really pisses me off that they don't have a sensor to stop the compressor from destroying itself when there is no refrigerant.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Unfortunately a good AC system needs to run occasionally to keep the parts lubricated. I don't know if you can completely turn it off without pulling a fuse.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Unfortunately a good AC system needs to run occasionally to keep the parts lubricated. I don't know if you can completely turn it off without pulling a fuse.
Is that in response to my post? If so, an A/C system with not enough refrigerant is not a 'good' A/C system, and should never be run.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is that in response to my post? If so, an A/C system with not enough refrigerant is not a 'good' A/C system, and should never be run.

100 % right.

I never drive my car with A/C on. I always disable A/C on screen unless it is very hot.
I can have fresh air from outside ( temperature knob to 0) or warm air from the car.
If you don't do that, compressor may run......

Arooge ; or dealer want your money with selling you a compressor you don't need ?

Ducota

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si 2021 Accord Sport 2.0 2015 FiT Sport
Country flag
I use my a/c 100% of the time while driving
The system needs daily lubrication to maintain seals and doesn’t cost anything but a few horses. That said I’ve only run into one bad seal on a 4 year old 1990 accord.
had a compressor leak. I hunted down a ‘93 gasket that fit and saved me some money.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The system needs daily lubrication to maintain seals and doesn’t cost anything but a few horses.

I disagree, once a month or more is enough.

I never have any compressor issue in my 3 previous cars with more than 125K miles each.

What about cars stored at the dealership that don't run for months? The compressor would then be out of service?

Last edited:

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I disagree, once a month or more is enough.

I never have any compressor issue in my 3 previous cars with more than 125K miles each.

What about cars stored at the dealership that don't run for months? The compressor would then be out of service?
I also think once a month during the winter months is enough to keep it lubricated.

Cars that sit at dealers are generally new cars so the seals won't dry out as fast as older cars. Older cars are where you have to worry.

chriser0

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
If the compressor really did fail, Replacing the condenser is common practice as the dryer is made to it. Also you dont want to contaminate the new system with possible debris.
Sponsored